It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Florida, officials ban term 'climate change'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This is what happens when an ignorant voting population votes a in highly deceptive criminal administration with their own profiteering agenda as their priority, not the people, and certainly not the environment.

From the Miami Herald:

The state of Florida is the region most susceptible to the effects of global warming in this country, according to scientists. Sea-level rise alone threatens 30 percent of the state’s beaches over the next 85 years.

But you would not know that by talking to officials at the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, the state agency on the front lines of studying and planning for these changes.

DEP officials have been ordered not to use the term “climate change” or “global warming” in any official communications, emails, or reports, according to former DEP employees, consultants, volunteers and records obtained by the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting.

The policy goes beyond semantics and has affected reports, educational efforts and public policy in a department with about 3,200 employees and $1.4 billion budget.

“We were told not to use the terms ‘climate change,’ ‘global warming’ or ‘sustainability,’” said Christopher Byrd, an attorney with the DEP’s Office of General Counsel in Tallahassee from 2008 to 2013. “That message was communicated to me and my colleagues by our superiors in the Office of General Counsel.”

Wanless, the University of Miami professor, said the state government needs to acknowledge climate change as settled science and as a threat to people and property in Florida.

“You have to start real planning, and I’ve seen absolutely none of that from the current governor,” he said.

In Florida it will be hard to plan for climate change, he said, if officials can’t talk about climate change.

“It’s beyond ludicrous to deny using the term climate change,” Wanless said. “It’s criminal at this point.”

When I first saw this article, I had to check the date to make sure this was not an April fool's joke. This is real. The Republican's in Florida have waged war on science.
edit on 8-3-2015 by jrod because: face palm

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Are they promoting putting your head in the sand instead .

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I wonder how many of those that would support this, would support the banning of other words...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Wanless, the University of Miami professor, said the state government needs to acknowledge climate change as settled science

Well, no it is not. In fact we are far from that point. For an area like Florida, what can one do in any case. You may need help from Moses.

Otherwise, if mother nature insists, you will just have to either move or build some really long sea walls.

P

edit on 8/3/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Wanless, the University of Miami professor, said the state government needs to acknowledge climate change as settled science and as a threat to people and property in Florida.

I'm so confused - I thought it was the government that's telling the scientists what to think about climate change, not vice versa.

We already know the whole thing is just a big hoax so governments can get the taxes and all the climate scientists are only goin along with the plan for the funding.

Why are you trying to tell me the scientists are actually insisting the problem is real, while the government is trying to deny them? This doesn't make any sense.

Why is the same thing happening in North Carolina?

New Law in North Carolina Bans Latest Scientific Predictions of Sea-Level Rise

And Canada??

Muzzled scientists: The challenges of reporting on climate change in Canada

None of this makes any sense! I don't get it. Everybody just shut up. The cognitive dissonance...it burns....it burns so bad.....

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I'm not of the belief that Florida's going to be swallowed up by the Gulf & the Atlantic any time soon (if memory serves , the Al Goreites said it'd be under rising waters by now anyway) BUT. What these morons neglect to think of in terms of preservation of the shorelines is erosion. It's why some areas go so long between replenishment projects and end up in bad shape -- gubmint shelves it & pretends tides & currents don't happen until it's crunch time. THEN they're willing to pay for the dredging, when it's going to cost more because more has to be brought up to shore up (no pun intended) more shoreline. There are a lot of more sensitive areas that need it done on a more regular basis than others, mind you, it's not like the entire state needs constant dredging. But fact of the matter is, it's not climate change in the far-off they need to buck up on & worry about, it's the way the water washes what's there away now that needs tending. You can't stop it, but you can put what was taken away in the waves back.

Granted, we could always let mother nature do her thing & sculpt the shoreline herself, but that's not going to happen. Too many morons built their million dollar homes 5 feet from the water.
edit on 3/8/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
This is what happens when an ignorant voting population votes a in highly deceptive criminal administration with their own profiteering agenda as their priority, not the people, and certainly not the environment.

From the Miami Herald:

The state of Florida is the region most susceptible to the effects of global warming in this country, according to scientists. Sea-level rise alone threatens 30 percent of the state’s beaches over the next 85 years.

But you would not know that by talking to officials at the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, the state agency on the front lines of studying and planning for these changes.

DEP officials have been ordered not to use the term “climate change” or “global warming” in any official communications, emails, or reports, according to former DEP employees, consultants, volunteers and records obtained by the Florida Center for Investigative Reporting.

The policy goes beyond semantics and has affected reports, educational efforts and public policy in a department with about 3,200 employees and $1.4 billion budget.

“We were told not to use the terms ‘climate change,’ ‘global warming’ or ‘sustainability,’” said Christopher Byrd, an attorney with the DEP’s Office of General Counsel in Tallahassee from 2008 to 2013. “That message was communicated to me and my colleagues by our superiors in the Office of General Counsel.”

“You have to start real planning, and I’ve seen absolutely none of that from the current governor,” he said.

In Florida it will be hard to plan for climate change, he said, if officials can’t talk about climate change.

“It’s beyond ludicrous to deny using the term climate change,” Wanless said. “It’s criminal at this point.”

When I first saw this article, I had to check the date to make sure this was not an April fool's joke. This is real. The Republican's in Florida have waged war on science.

Lol..I call bs.

According the scientists that have this all figured out, most of Florida should be under water right now...it isn't though...why?

They are wrong, for many reasons.

They claim "out of control warming" can happen, there is no proof of this.

All that co2 was in the atmosphere when the Dino's lived, no out if control warming happened.

In fact it was the most fertile period in the earths history.

Strike one for "the science is settled crowd".

The earth is not even warmer now than just in recorded human history...strike 2.

Their models are crap have not once ever produced a single accurate prediction about future temp trends, not one single time...strike 3. Now gtfo of here with this nonsense.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:01 PM
link   

So now if someone wants to hide truth they can just ban certain words.

Who does an April Fool's joke in the beginning of March? The whole point is that it's in April...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Hmmm

Sounds like some jealousy exists...

This unwritten policy went into effect after Gov. Rick Scott took office in 2011 and appointed Herschel Vinyard Jr. as the DEP’s director, according to former DEP employees.

“DEP does not have a policy on this,” the department’s press secretary, Tiffany Cowie, wrote in an email. She declined to respond to three other emails requesting more information.

“There’s no policy on this,” wrote Jeri Bustamante, Scott’s spokeswoman, in an email.

But four former DEP employees from offices around the state say the order was well known and distributed verbally statewide.

Hmmm

BwaaHaHaHA

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: mc_squared

I'm so confused - I thought it was the government that's telling the scientists what to think about climate change, not vice versa.

We already know the whole thing is just a big hoax so governments can get the taxes and all the climate scientists are only goin along with the plan for the funding.

Why are you trying to tell me the scientists are actually insisting the problem is real, while the government is trying to deny them? This doesn't make any sense.

Why is the same thing happening in North Carolina?

New Law in North Carolina Bans Latest Scientific Predictions of Sea-Level Rise

And Canada??

Muzzled scientists: The challenges of reporting on climate change in Canada

None of this makes any sense! I don't get it. Everybody just shut up. The cognitive dissonance...it burns....it burns so bad.....

It is because for close to 30 years they have been making predictions that never come true at all and folks are tired of the bs money grab crap.

The science can't "be settled" when the science is always wrong.

Yes the science on gravity can be said to be settled for now, things always at present fall towards the center of gravity.

Electricity the same thing.

Weak and strong nuclear forces...well deviations in decay have been observed for the weak force so it is in question, as to why more than the entire theory, but this also opens the strong force up to additional scrutiny.

Why would one claim the mantle of science while distorting it so is beyond me.

The science on climate change is 100% model based and has always been wrong.

How is following it science?

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Most scientist who actually study this agree that the science is settled(90%+) on human induced climate change, but I did not post here to attempt to argue with anyone about the science of climate change.

I posted this here because of the of the insanity that is happening here. The Government of the State of Florida are ignoring the term climate change and global warming and censoring scientist who suggest that perhaps the state should use their resources to address the ramifications of possible climate change. This is not that much different than a state that censor's evolution in it's science classes.

This is a criminal act that the GOP have taken here is what many of my fellow Floridians believe.

In my eyes this is a war on science that has been waged by the Republicans!

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: arpgme

So now if someone wants to hide truth they can just ban certain words.

Who does an April Fool's joke in the beginning of March? The whole point is that it's in April...

I agree banning words is wrong, but they aren't banning words.

They ate exempting their employees from using them in official releases.

They can work somewhere else, the general public can use them at their want.

Hyperbole much?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

I know... I don't know how so many glaring examples can exist of the suppression of science and especially climate science yet they get the conspiracy upside and backwards...

That's all the words I can muster...

jrod- thanks for posting, for digging in... I saw this other day and thought why bother.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

There was no such prediction... really. The only 'prediction' was that sea levels would rise and become problematic, which is happening so...

link   
You are twisting words to make it seem like what happened here is something that it is not.

They are censoring the findings and research of the vast majority of experts on the issue at hand.

This is an out right attack on science and the 1st Amendment.

link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
(if memory serves , the Al Goreites said it'd be under rising waters by now anyway)

No, your memory does not serve you correct.

The reason memes like this exist though is because of baseless comments like yours, building these strawmen about what "the Al Goreites" said, with no source or proof of course, and then posting it on the internet so the next gullible parrot can just pick it up and pass it along too (e.g. see the very next comment below yours).

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Most scientist who actually study this agree that the science is settled(90%+) on human induced climate change, but I did not post here to attempt to argue with anyone about the science of climate change.

I posted this here because of the of the insanity that is happening here. The Government of the State of Florida are ignoring the term climate change and global warming and censoring scientist who suggest that perhaps the state should use their resources to address the ramifications of possible climate change. This is not that much different than a state that censor's evolution in it's science classes.

This is a criminal act that the GOP have taken here is what many of my fellow Floridians believe.

In my eyes this is a war on science that has been waged by the Republicans!

So decent based on science, you know, the fact "the science" has been wrong every single time, is criminal?

What you meant was " my religion states anyone who disagrees is a heretic and must be punished for not blindly following the doctrine"...

I was a science major, I do understand science and the scientific method.

When your hypothesis results in inaccurate data it itself is the problem and is wrong.

They have never dropped it.

Despite the fact the "out of control" warming nonsense has not once ever happened, co2 was factors higher, no magical out of control warming.

Instead guess what happened, the most fertile period in the planets history.

I say bring on the co2.

Larger faster growing plants, more food, more species, more life.

Oh wait, you don't even know we are only a few dozens of parts per million above the minimum for plants to even conduct photosynthesis do you?

Don't tell me the science, I know it.

Look it up.

If we dropped just 150 parts per million in co2 plants would die enmass. Just like animals without oxygen.

Did you even know that?

Google it.

Farmers add co2 to greenhouses for a reason.

It is plant food.

I assure you, I have studied this entire theory from top to bottom.

I have many reasons why it isn't science and why it is dead wrong.

For einsteins theory if relativity he had to calculate before hand the exact deflection if light from our suns mass otherwise his entire theory was dead wrong and got scrapped.

He was dead on.

This science isn't even "settled".

Global warming has never been right one single time.

Yet "the science is settled"... Be, only someone completely lacking in the understanding of science would state such a thing.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

Al Gore is an idiot but a very shrewd and rich man.

P

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

You are twisting words to make it seem like what happened here is something that it is not.

They are censoring the findings and research of the vast majority of experts on the issue at hand.

This is an out right attack on science and the 1st Amendment.

Taco bell can force you to not use the words McDonalds or KFC correct?

What is the difference?

Their employer is telling them they can't in an official work related capacity use certain words.

They can work another job and use them all they want.

This is no different from a Colorado based business telling their employees they can't smoke pot.

Sure it is legal outside work, but it is against the policy to work there.

They can leave any time they want.

This is in no way a second amendment violation.

Your employer gets to determine your actions at work, if you font like it you can leave any time you want.

What next, it is against free speach Walmart greeters aren't allowed to say what's up m....r f.....s!!!

Come on.

They aren't suppressing anyone's dpeach that isn't on company time.

This is as old as work.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

In Florida, officials ban term 'climate change'

Where's the proof of a "Ban"?

No proof no case.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join