It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality might work if it wasn't so stupid.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

How you feel while you are reading is not my problem. No one calls Gore Vidal a bully when they read his polemics—he's dead. In other words, you're bullying yourself. You're the only one in the room.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
Do you consider mocking bullying or not?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: bb23108

There is no reality to unity, plain and simple. There is no container in which things "arise". There is no such thing.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Do you consider yourself bullied?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
No one calls Gore Vidal a bully when they read his polemics—he's dead.

Do you see yourself in the same light as Gore Vidal?

Gore Vidal was an American writer (novels, essays, screenplays, stage plays) and a public intellectual known for his patrician manner, epigrammatic wit[clarification needed], and polished style of writing.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

No. Why?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Do you consider yourself bullied?

Just answer the question. Have you ever considered that mocking is bullying behaviour?

No, I do not consider myself bullied - I do not consider myself a 'spiritual person'.
However this is your statement:

In my own opinion, the word “spiritual” is derogatory, a sign of a weaker more tender sort, whom I have some instinctual obligation to defend from bullies whenever the need should arise.

Where has your instinctual obligation to defend the 'spiritual' from bullies gone?
edit on 14-3-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

a reply to: bb23108

There is no reality to unity, plain and simple. There is no container in which things "arise". There is no such thing.

There are no things at all.
Reality is one without a second.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Have you ever been bullied before?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

There's plenty of things. Reality is many, not one.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Have you ever been bullied before?

This is not about me.
You have made a lot of claims in this thread. Now the question still stands - Do you consider that mocking is what appears to happen in posts posted by LesMisanthrope?
Did this thread produce the desired result for you?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Yes, I write in a mocking tone. Mockery is a fresh wind over fetid waters.

What is your point?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

What is your point?

I have no point - just a question that you are avoiding answering.
Have you ever considered that mocking is bullying?
Maybe you have not considered it and just thought it was cute or something.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Not in essay form. Not at all. The polemic is an important form in literature.

Tell me, itsnowagain, do you feel bullied?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

What is your point?

To mock = tease or laugh at in a scornful or contemptuous manner.
Mocking = making fun of someone or something in a cruel way; derisive.

I disagree with your definition.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I'm sorry you feel mocked in such a way. It might be in your best interest to remove yourself from the situation in which you feel bullied. I'm not going to change my writing to serve your sensitivity, however. But it's easy enough,I hope, to simply stop reading it.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I'm sorry you feel mocked in such a way. It might be in your best interest to remove yourself from the situation in which you feel bullied. I'm not going to change my writing to serve your sensitivity, however. But it's easy enough,I hope, to simply stop reading it.

As I said before - I do not mind or want you to stop - I am enjoying watching the game.
It is a musing.
It's just happening anyway - who could stop it?

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Not in essay form. Not at all. The polemic is an important form in literature.

A person who often writes polemics, or who speaks polemically, is a polemicist or a polemic. The word is derived from Greek πολεμικός (polemikos), meaning "warlike, hostile", from πόλεμος (polemos), meaning "war".

I think this defines LesMis pattern pretty well.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I'm not sure I believe that. You say you enjoy watching the game immediately after complaining about it. Who could stop it? I will. I do not wish to enable your suffering by providing you a cause for it. We should end our discussions together. Good luck.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'm not sure how spirituality itself has led to these things. Catholic child-molesters are spiritual. Charles Manson was spiritual. Jihadis are spiritual. Jim Jones was spiritual. Marshall Applewhite convinced forty people to commit suicide; he was spiritual. So spirituality has also led to the murders and genocides of innocent people, as well as, apparently, sharing food. Even someone like Goebels used the Bhagavad Gita to spiritualize his SS officers. Enlightened Zen masters adamantly advocated nationalism and Japan's part in the second world war. But my claim is not that spirituality leads to wicked behavior, but to stupid ideas. Whether someone is spiritual or not is not a valid unit of measure of when it comes to ethics.

neither is intellect a valid unit of measurement when it comes to character. perhaps spirituality can lead to stupid ideas, but i have seen what evil geniuses can do.

I hold a very unfavourable opinion about spiritual people that no one likes to hear, and that is that spirituality is an act of vanity. People want to appear spiritual, over wanting to actually be spiritual. That is the only way to account for all the lying. But, I'll save that for another thread.

i thought we were avoiding that whole generalization shtick.

I don't see happiness as a legitimate goal. Unhappiness, too, is necessary. Interest and curiosity has proven to be a more fruitful endeavour. I think that anyone who says all they want is happiness is a perfect candidate for a "happy machine", a machine that will pump the body full of pleasure, and they willingly hook themselves up to it for the rest of their lives as long as it keeps pleasing them. Spirituality is such a machine.

what if interest and curiosity means you end up playing legos with dead bodies in an attempt to recreate life? or building a device capable of taking 600,000 lives inside 24 hours?

new topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join