It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beer tips

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

For a second there I thought you meant mushrooms

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Another thing I would say is check the local classifieds and ask around, post on freecycle if you have a local one.

A lot of blokes try there hand at homebrew, buy all the gear, do it badly and the equiptment gets stored in the garage, all my gear was either free or really cheap.

In the UK a lot of brewers I know use the water bottles from water dispensers in offices, I use them myself and never have any problems.

If you want to get really cheap you can harvest yeast from shop bought live ales!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

If you malt your own grain you can use the used grain to grow mushrooms on.

waste not want not eh?

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
This vid is a good explanation of how to build your own all grain setup from bit's and bobs and a rough guide to producing wort.

I'ts got me all exited now, I'm off to the workshop to see what else I need

link

edit on 9/3/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

waste not want not eh?

Tip of the week!

Anyway OP, I can't really add to what advice has been given here, I have been brewing for years and having my own orchard so I make lots of potent cider every Autumn. I have two gallons of Mead maturing nicely right now from September and am down to my last 4 bottles of Pale Ale so off to the grain shop with me!

The thing is to be clean and careful, learn from your mistakes (There may be many!) and Enjoy.

There isn't a beer in the world that compares to a chilled bottle on a summers evening of something you made yourself.

The Extract kits can be a bit hit and miss but over the years I have tried many with varying degrees of satisfaction and in fact I make a batch of 'Coopers English Bitter' twice a year just for my own consumption (I love traditional English Ales) and it produces a very stable very drinkable all round refreshing tipple, its my guilty pleasure. No one I know likes it but me!! No boiling/cooling risk of contamination much less hassle and chances of mistakes. Great for confidence building. (and intoxication!)

Nonspecific is right about finding equipment second hand in great condition (hardly used) from people who tried it and didn't think it was worth the effort (it is!) so scout around for second hand equipment and remember that you will always be wanting to upgrade and buy more if you get a taste for it.

Above all Enjoy!

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Another good vid howing how to use a diy setup to make an all grain brew.

This one has a bit better explanation of the technical process involed, worth a watch.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
some OT for you:

Every time i see this thread title, I keep thinking it says "Beef Tips". And I get excited hoping that there is an awesome beef tips recipe.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Gorillas mainly eat a vegetarian diet. They also prefer beer over beef.

a reply to: nonspecific

Yep
Pretty awesome! I've done a ton of research on mushroom growing. Just haven't started yet.

edit on 12-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Its my next project, theres some awsome youtube vids on how to do it out there,

This thread got me all exited again and I now have 25 litres of ginger and cardamon beer bubbling away in the corner.

Unfortunatley my mate was round earier so put dibs on half of it so will have to get brerwing again.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I love brewing Belgians with cardamom.

To op:
Do it. It's fun. I have gotten good kits from Austin home brew, Midwest and northern brewer. Start with clones that you like. Practice makes perfect. And sanitation is the only thing that can ruin a beer. You can learn how to freestyle your own recipie after you learn technique.

A five gallon setup is excellent for starting. You will need a boiling pot that holds seven gallons. Don't water down from a three gallon kettle. The taste and efficacy are off.

Also, I've had friends who used glass carboys from drinking water carboys for a ten dollar deposit.

It's not that expensive if you upgrade slowly. First upgrades I would recomend is a good kettle, going all grain, then a fermentation chamber. It's really fun to play with flavor. I'm planting my first hops this summer 😊
edit on 13-4-2015 by Sillyosaurus because:

top topics

<< 1   >>

join