It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beer tips

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I am thinking about buying a brew kit to make my own beer but I don't know what would be a good kit. Found many on E-bay but some look like a waste of money. I am wondering if some you have any experience with this and make some recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I cannot reccomend a particular brand as I'm in the UK and they will be different but as someone who has brewed a fair bit I would reccomened buying the right gear, reading the right books and hitting youtube hard for a while.

Kits in my opinion always make pretty poor beer that is drinkable but lacks the effort and understanding to be proud of your results.

a reply to: Grimpachi

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I was thinking that would probably make a difference.

Maybe you have a tip on where I should start reading on this.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Several of my friends brew their own beer. To make ends meet, they wind up Producing enough to sell it. I've only seen one of them do well in that endeavor. I almost hopped on-board, but found Sam Adams to be the cheaper alternative.

Don't let me dissuade you. Just keep in mind it is a slow process to perfect and it's going to set you back a pretty penny.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I was thinking that would probably make a difference.

Maybe you have a tip on where I should start reading on this.

If your looking at something that will become an interesting and satisfying hobby and a great way of having low cost high quality beer then if you have the time just hit youtube for home brew and find a channel you like, As I said I'm in the UK and the books from over here will either be hard to get or irrelavant to your needs.

As with all things start simple, Ginger beer is quick and easy if you like it but it gets pretty strong, can be ready to drink in around 3 weeks.

As you can imagine the most important thing is hygene as lack of will destroy a brew before you even start.

Cider from apple juice is also easy but I don't think you guys go for it that much.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I'll step in and give a solid second to nonspecifics post.

I haven't brewed in a number of years as this house has no basement and an electric stove. Crappy excuse I know, I gotta man up and get back in the game.

I have in the past brewed some tasty bevs, some outright disgusting insults to beer, and quite a lot of fairly drinkable gruel.

At the point I quit I was culturing my own yeast, brewing from raw grain, and creating my own recipes. I really miss it!

It takes knowledge. And practice. And a lot of quality equipment to get it right.

Don't by any means let me discourage you though! It is awesome fun, very rewarding, and entirely do-able. But stay away from those beer kits. That's not homebrewing.

Charlie papazian has some excellent books out that will have you cranking out decent brews in no time. Read them! It will educate you in the art of beer, and give you a deeper love of the brew. Can't recommend his stuff enough.

Give it a go, you won't regret it

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I am not going to be selling it just drinking it.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Low cost beer that is what I am looking for with a good taste. Pale ale is probably what I will be doing first.

I need to figure out how much I need to make. Yeah I probably drink too much.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

Excellent! I will find some of his books to read up on.

I am glad you said that about the kits they looked iffy to me so I didn't jump in and buy one without getting some advice.

I don't foresee going exotic with it and I hope I don't screw up too many batches. Whatever I spend o the setup will surely pay itself off considering my steady consumption rate.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

9 Serious DIY Beer-Brewing Rigs

I'm pretty useless unless you need help drinking it.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: caterpillage

Excellent! I will find some of his books to read up on.

I am glad you said that about the kits they looked iffy to me so I didn't jump in and buy one without getting some advice.

I don't foresee going exotic with it and I hope I don't screw up too many batches. Whatever I spend o the setup will surely pay itself off considering my steady consumption rate.

It's pretty cheap really, a hundred bucks will set you up with all the equipment you require. And some of that can be phased in over time. You will see when you read Charlie's books.

I love homebrewing, awesome hobby, and and excellent learning curve.

Relax and have a home brew.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I am more of a mead guy when it comes to home brew.
3 pounds of honey per gallon of water and Grand Couvier champagne yeast.
It comes out delicious and around 15 percent alcohol.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well as an aspiring brewer, and an avid gardener, I suggest growing some hops! Pick an excellent beer recipe you like and then grow the appropriate hops for it. This way they will be fresh, and you won't have to be disappointed when your local shop isn't carrying or is out of those particular hops.

The beer recipe I am going with is one from the brewery Russian River. Called Pliny The Elder. It's an imperial IPA. The kind I love. So for me it's growing Amarillo, Centennial, CTZ, and Simcoe hops. Quite the demand! Such is the case for craft beer like this. They were cool enough to release its recipe for home brewers.

You can get away with growing less kinds of hops of course. If you like IPAs like me then basically any hope type that starts with the letter C is a good pick.

Anyways. I know that wasn't what you were really asking. I don't yet have much knowledge on the setup. What little I know has convinces me I will likely not get a kit but instead piece it together myself via trips to a few different stores.

I'm going to go with glass carboys instead of plastic. Off-gasing and flavoring is a concern of mine with plastic. Though I am sure quality food-grade plastic is used in the better ones. You'll save cash with plastic. I have read on the beer forums that accidents with glass carboys happen, and can result in a trip to the hospital. So if you're clumsy, or live with clumsy people, you might consider plastic carboys instead. Don't forget to check Craigslist for carboys.

I'd recommend exploring do-it-yourself home-brewing setups before buying a kit. Probably get more bang for the buck. Then again if you just want something really small-scale to test it out...maybe a simple kit is the way to go. I'd check Craigslist for that too.

What kinda beer would you wanna make?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Thanks that gives me some good ideas.

Once I have a good batch your welcome t help me drink it.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I am more of a mead guy when it comes to home brew.
3 pounds of honey per gallon of water and Grand Couvier champagne yeast.
It comes out delicious and around 15 percent alcohol.

Haha excellent! I was just coming back to sing the praises of mead!

Mead is both delicious, and if your not carefull, you will do things you have never done. Trust me here... Do not try to drink a sixpak of mead lol.

I have not brewed it but a friend of mine has, I bug him every time I see him, "man! When you gonna make some more mead!" Awesome stuff.

Trivia note: the term honeymoon gets it's name from mead. Upon being wed the couple was givin a celebratory concoction of brew made from honey, honey mead. Over time it turned into honeymoon.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

You know honestly I have just recently been thinking about doing this seriously so I don't have any idea of what to do. I guess you can say that with this thread I jus committed myself to it.

It seems I will be doing some reading. Eisegesis just gave me some good links. As far as the beer I am not sure. I may need to go do some research at the local microbrew and bring cab money.

Thing is, there have been very few beers I have met traveling the world that I didn't like.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Right on. I love most beer. From cheap malt beer that comes in 40oz bottles to craft beer off the tap that destroys my wallet. Only ones I don't care for are hefeweizen, Belgian style, and ones with 'chocolate' undertones. I'm mostly an IPA guy, with the occasional amber or porter. Or a whatever 6 pack is in front of me..

I plan on focusing on IPAs when I start brewing.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

The beer recipe I am going with is one from the brewery Russian River. Called Pliny The Elder. It's an imperial IPA. The kind I love. So for me it's growing Amarillo, Centennial, CTZ, and Simcoe hops. Quite the demand! Such is the case for craft beer like this. They were cool enough to release its recipe for home brewers.

I envy you sir!

I wasn't aware their recipe became open source. Try a Circus Boy for a good hefeweizen by Magic Hat (I know, but you'll find them everywhere), and Belgians just get the blood flowing hot, lol.

I live twenty minutes from New England Brewery and fill up regularly. Depending on where you are I could swap you some nice east coast offerings.

I'm drinking a Founders Imperial Stout at the moment. Waiting until Gandhi Bot gets a new name and starts filling the shelves again. Sea Hag is excellent.

Say when!

edit on 8-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

Right on. I love most beer. From cheap malt beer that comes in 40oz bottles to craft beer off the tap that destroys my wallet. Only ones I don't care for are hefeweizen, Belgian style, and ones with 'chocolate' undertones. I'm mostly an IPA guy, with the occasional amber or porter. Or a whatever 6 pack is in front of me..

I plan on focusing on IPAs when I start brewing.

Ah yes! A favorite of mine IPA. India pale ale was constructed as a means to provide British troops occupying India with brew. As the journey there would spoil most types a style that became known as IPA was born. It was heavily hopped ad quite high in alcohol to withstand the journey without succumbing to spoilage. Love an IPA I do. And yes, I'm a beer nerd.
edit on 3 8 2015 by caterpillage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Sterilisation, sterilisation and then a little bit more sterilisation - with the correct product

top topics

<<   2 >>

join