It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goldfish-swallowing Briton banned from owning fish

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

OXFORD, England, March 3 (UPI) -- A British man has been banned from owning fish for five years after he posted a video online showing him swallow a live goldfish.
Luke Berry, 26, who posted the video showing himself swallowing the fish to Facebook in August 2014, pleaded guilty in Oxford Magistrates' Court to causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

Berry was banned from owning a fish for five years and was sentenced Monday to 120 hours of community service. He was also fined $768.

The court heard Berry swallowed the fish as part of a "Neknominate" drinking game. The games usually involve a participant "necking" an alcoholic drink, carrying out a stunt on video and then posting the video to social media with a nomination for another person to carry out a stunt.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals pursued charges against Berry under the Animal Welfare Act of 2006.

Video in link
Read more: www.upi.com...

Two more men have landed themselves in court thanks to the neknominate craze - one drinking a horrendous mixture of goldfish, sauces and booze

Neknominate drinker fined after swallowing goldfish, ketchup, vinegar and lager for his BIRTHDAY

Fined $768....seriously WTF. If that is animal cruelty I guess they don't eat sushi or have any fisherman in the country that are not in prison at this point.

Every country is different, but that is just nuckinfutz to me that they got in trouble for it.

I don't know what else to say just thought I would share.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Being the 26,7839,098th person to swallow a live goldfish i guess he is feeling just a tad unlucky right now .

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Well he did kill a live being not for food but for a laugh so under our laws it is animal cruelty...yeah the fine was heavy but it is just setting an example.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
This is another prime example of government over-reach.

It is totally ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Well he did kill a live being not for food but for a laugh s

I suppose he should have put it between 2 slices of bread .

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

If it was a live mouse is that different? cruel either way to me.
More rights for likkle fish!!!.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Given the fact that he posted a video on social media as part of a "challenge" I think the judge was correct.

Think of the ice bucket challenge but with 10,000 dead goldfish and 10 dead teenagers.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Well he did kill a live being not for food but for a laugh so under our laws it is animal cruelty...yeah the fine was heavy but it is just setting an example.

Nope!!! I just can't see how the death of a goldfish is in any way prosecutable. Next thing you know enjoying your meal will be against the law.

Is sport fishing illegal there how about hunting?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Nope!!! I just can't see how the death of a goldfish is in any way prosecutable. Next thing you know enjoying your meal will be against the law.

Is sport fishing illegal there how about hunting?

Fishing is legal for sport, somewhat restricted for food.

Swallowing live animals for fun is against the law.

Unless there oysters of course so that really makes no sense now i think about it.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Yes exactly!!!

First they came for your goldfish next they will come for the oyster bar.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Royal society for the prevention of cruelty to plants coming to to a country near you . Soon .

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Hmm. Lets see.

1. Go catch a fish with a fishing line. 2. Kill it by plunging a knife through its gills. 3 Take it home. 4 Cook it. 5 Eat it!

All OK.

Leave out a few steps and get a criminal record and a whopping fine.

This is just silly. But then, there are many such rules. In many places, putting your own dog or cat down is now illegal because only a vet can do it humanely ... for a price!

I don't care if it was a game or not. He ate the fish. I can bet if he took the trouble to kill it first, he would still be in trouble.

It was a fish! We eat them. They are food. Millions of fish get eaten alive every single day ... by other fish!

It goes too far. Too many animal activists get into positions of power and go nuts!

P

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

I have gone fishing with live goldfish here. They make great bait so this is just dumb IMO.

I wonder if there are any other weird laws like that.

Do they have to properly euthanise lobster before cooking them? Which is worse being swallowed or being boiled alive.

I would be so screwed over the oyster thing cause I love em. I wonder how many people have to bail their putty tat out of the pound for repeat offenses with the fish bowl.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

We are a nation of animal lovers If people saw it and complained they have to act.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I used to be a fishmonger (1st job) and it is humane to kill a lobster like that kills it instantly.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I used to be a fishmonger (1st job) and it is humane to kill a lobster like that kills it instantly.

Standard humane practice in the Uk is now 45 mins in the freezer to put into a comatose state first.

The same applies to crabs and crayfish.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I had to fight the biggest lobster ever to the death once.
I would have been done lol.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I like people thinking about animal cruelty and morality. But before making laws, it would help to see those thoughts completed.

On a side note: it floors me that fishing for food is somewhat limited in the UK.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

and it is humane to kill a lobster like that kills it instantly.

No its not . Instantly my ass .

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
So I guess this would be a big NO there??

When I did it I was real drunk. They hang on going down and they are a lot smarter than goldfish.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join