It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban on American flag at UC Irvine reversed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Source: www.latimes.com...

Snippet:

A five-member executive cabinet overseeing UC Irvine's student government on Saturday vetoed a decision to ban the display of all flags, including the American flag. “We fundamentally disagree with the actions taken by ASUCI Legislative Council and their passage of [the ban] as counter to the ideals that allow us to operate as an autonomous student government organization with the freedoms of speech and expression associated with it,” the cabinet said in a prepared statement.

I put this in breaking political news forum as a best guess at the correct forum for this news item.

I remember when this happened and it was pretty controversial at the time. The controversy as I recall was the fact that Mexican American students called display of the American flag racist. The push back from those proud of their Mexican flags, or American flags, caused the then current student leadership to ban all flags from the common area. This current student leadership is intent on reversal of that initial decision. This makes me wonder if the same race, and political confrontation will flare up once again?

edit on 03pm2015-03-08T14:48:22-05:0002483America/Chicago48331 by machineintelligence because: spelling

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

If they all flags up then it is no problem.
Those that disagree maybe shouldn't be flying the american flag
The kids that had an issue should just put their own flag up instead of complaining about the american one.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

The fact that it is even an issue, that we can fly an American flag in America, or not, sucks! Those who come to this country need to respect us for what we are. If they don't like looking at our flag, ignore it, or move back from where they came from. SImple as that.......

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
well if they want to ban flying the U.S flag, they ought not take federal grants/ money.
if they are to good to fly the flag, then they should be to good to take the money.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SyxPak

The fact that it is even an issue, that we can fly an American flag in America, or not, sucks! Those who come to this country need to respect us for what we are. If they don't like looking at our flag, ignore it, or move back from where they came from. SImple as that.......

Why does any american care what a foreigner thinks about what we in our own country with our own flag?

They are free to quick march it right back over the border they illegally crossed to get here.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
How can the American flag be racist? Seriously, it represents America, and Americans. You know, Americans, the great melting pot of ALL races, creeds and colors. It is a nationalist symbol, yes...but not racist since it represents ALL races that make up the country.

I wonder and fear that why in an institute of higher learning, this merely simple distinction between nationalism and racism goes unnoticed or ignored.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa
When the Indians and the Mexicans first saw the American flag it was the symbol of their oppression because it was the flag of the aggressors to them at the time. La Rasa likes to fuel the racial hatred with stories of oppression and defeat at the hands of the European colonists/Americans.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: SyxPak

Why does any american care what a foreigner thinks about what we in our own country with our own flag?

They are free to quick march it right back over the border they illegally crossed to get here.

I agree that they can go back from whence they came.

The Reason I care is that The Flag Represents America, Me. They don't have to like the U.S., Me, but they sure as Hell Need to Respect The U.S.A, Flag, ME!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
So far the general idea of this thread is if you don't like it, go back to where you illegally came from...

And people wonder why nationalism gets mistaken for racism.

Not every citizen is so gung ho about the flag, god forbid someone that wasn't an illegal but a citizen has issues.
edit on thSun, 08 Mar 2015 20:21:37 -0500America/Chicago320153780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Why and how does it represent you?

Rampant nationalism is not a good thing, take a look into history and see what countries used hardcore nationalism to control their people.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

And that was over 100 years ago, wasn't it? And how many of them are alive today that lived through that time? However, I can understand native American's living on their reservations having this angst. But then, since the reservations are supposed to be external to the US, then I have no problems for them not to want to fly the American flag there. But, as for the Mexicans, they DO have their own stand alone country, and are welcome not to fly the American flag there.

Here, in the sovereign United States, id it the national flag....and represents ALL Americans. If they have an issue with that, then perhaps they do not want to embrace America. Fine, go to a country that that do embrace. Otherwise, STFU already.

edit on 3/8/2015 by Krakatoa because: fixed fat finger errors

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

You are getting close the the dreaded "last stand of forum posting"..... Godwins Law. We are talking about right here, right now, not another country at another time.

Let's stay focused, shall we, and not go down that road.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

The Why and How it represents Me is because I was born Here. That by default, makes that Flag Me. I'm not sayin' I even like half the stuff this country does, but it is still My Flag.
Just like if I had a kid that turned out Bad. He Is still My Kid!!

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Thank You......

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Sorry, but the past is relevant, hence the saying 'those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it'

The Iraqi war is a perfect example of how nationalsim can be bad.
We all, including me, went all gung ho after the towers went down and all got behind a war that in retrospect should have never even happened.

So while it is all fine and dandy to like our flag, to get this 'you are either with us or against us' mentality is a bad thing.

If our default response to some one having an issue with our flag is ' go back to where you came from'... I think that is a scary road to go down.
Not everyone in this nation is willing to forget our history and act we are the pillar of morality and right.

And Syx, sure have the pride for the flag, but that is no reason to berate those that don't.

That flag has hurt a lot of people, people have the freedom in this nation to not be all about it.
To take that freedom away from them, well that doesn't seem very american.
In the context of the school, it is fine they have it flying, that was meant in more of a general statement/

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

It seems to me the previous student elected officials opted in a pinch of feeling a need to act to dissuade racist animism in the common area, removed every student's 1st amendment right to communicate his or her beliefs in the manner of their own choosing namely waving a flag. This more recent repeal is to remove that restriction and formally protest the previous actions of the formal student leadership.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Ya, I agree they may have acted in haste and misjudgement when they banned the flags.

They should allow flags to be waived and this most recent decision was the correct one

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Those that disagree maybe shouldn't be flying the american flag

Last I checked this is America. Don't like the flag, leave the country.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Last time I checked, you have freedom of expression which includes not worshiping our flag.
Don't like it, leave the country and go join one that doesn't allow you to talk against the state.
edit on thMon, 09 Mar 2015 00:41:03 -0500America/Chicago320150380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Last time I checked, you have freedom of expression which includes not worshiping our flag.
Don't like it, leave the country and go join one that doesn't allow you to talk against the state.

What does preventing the flag from being displayed and saying it's racist have to do with worshiping a flag?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join