It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dan Akroyd matching donations for slain cop's family

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A non doom and gloom story for the day:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Short version: cop was in a game store buying a game for his kid, to reward him for good grades. Guys came in to rob the store, gunfight ensued and cop was killed.

To me, the fact that it's a cop is an add on (though I won't pretend it's not a factor, obviously). I just thought it's really cool to see people getting together to help a family that's lost their husband and father. Gaming communities as far away as California are putting together donations for the family.

Good on them, and good on Dan for joining in.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Sadly all the media concentrates on is the doom and gloom in law enforcement. They completely and totally fail when it comes to dealing with the human factors, even though it happens more often than not.

We had a Springfield Mo officer shot in February through the head and by some miracle and grace of God he survived. We all know how brain injuries go but the officer is making remarkable improvements / progress. That aside the other amazing thing I witnessed was the response of the community at large.

The numbers of fund raisers / donations to him and his family have been over the top and are still continuing.

In other news related to law enforcement and some good things -

A few civil rights leaders who were very critical of the way law enforcement operates accepted an invitation to go through some of the police officer training - specifically shoot / don't shoot scenarios. These scenarios are designed to have multiple outcomes - from a person lunging at an officer with a knife in his hand or the same scenario except this time a cell phone in his hand.

The results were eye opening for the civil rights leaders.

Shoot or don't shoot: Police scenarios prove eye-opening for civil rights leaders

Thanks for sharing op.

Some more info courtesy - Officer Down Memorial Page

Police Officer Robert Wilson was shot and killed when he and his partner interrupted a robbery at a video game store at 2101 West Lehigh Avenue at approximately 4:45 pm.

The officers were conducting a security check of the businesses in the strip mall and had parked in front of the store. Officer Wilson went into the store to conduct the security check and to buy a video game for one of his sons. While he was inside two brothers entered the store and announced a robbery, not noticing Officer Wilson inside or the patrol car parked out front.

Officer Wilson immediately announced himself. He exchanged shots with the two brothers as he drew fire away from the customers and employees. He was struck three times during the shootout in which over 50 shots were fired. The two men then exited the store where they were engaged in a shootout with Officer Wilson's partner, who had remained in the patrol car. One of the subjects was wounded during the second shootout.

Both men were arrested and charged with Officer Wilson's murder. One of the brothers was on parole for robbery at the time and both had extensive criminal histories.

Officer Wilson had served with the Philadelphia Police Department for eight years. He is survived by his wife and two young sons.

Please contact the following agency to send condolences or to obtain funeral arrangements:

Commissioner Charles Ramsey
Philadelphia Police Department
One Franklin Square
Philadelphia, PA 19106

Phone: (215) 686-1776

Read more: www.odmp.org...

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I really admire Dan Aykroyd. And I think he's freak'n brilliant. He was in town this weekend but I didn't know it until it was too late to get to meet him. He's an excellent human being.

edit on 3/9/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

perhaps you can still get some of his booze!

@ X - thanks for posting the ODMP page. one of the articles I read had a quote from somebody who'd seen the video. they said, in effect, it was the bravest thing they'd ever seen.

still kind of wondering where his partner was during the 53 shots exchanged, but I suppose that'll come out.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

According to the ODMP his partner remained in the car when Wilson entered the store. As they exited the store the second officer engaged, wounding one of the suspects.

Depending on the store design / layout, product and how the parking lot is arranged its possible the shots could have been muffled enough where people outside the store did not hear anything or they heard it but identified it as something other than gun shots.

Dan Aykroyd is a pretty stand up guy. He also is into the UFO topic as well and was in a video talking about them.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Possible I guess. I've never been in a GameStop that seemed to have that kind of setup though. All the ones I've seen (standalone ones, not in a mall) have a mostly glass facade. But without knowing who fired how many times, not really fair to judge the partner for anything yet. I don't mean to sound like I'm implying the partner was lax (I know it probably sounds like it, though) just found it a bit odd myself.

At the end of the day, he was able to end the situation at least.

Totally agree on Akroyd. He's a class act in my book.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

@ X - thanks for posting the ODMP page. one of the articles I read had a quote from somebody who'd seen the video. they said, in effect, it was the bravest thing they'd ever seen.

Here is an article discussing the funeral and the Chief relayed the story of what occurred inside the store. Apparently the 2 guys entered the store, weapons out, shouting at everyone. Officer Wilson was in line when they came in. He drew his weapon while moving away from the civilians to draw their fire and to protect the civilians.

Over 50 shots were fired between the officer and the 2 cowards (who are charged with murder now). Officer Wilson continued to engage until he was hit with the fatal shot.

His actions saved the civilians in the store.

Slain Philadelphia officer 'redefined what valor means'

Surveillance video of the March 5 encounter at a GameStop store in north Philadelphia captured the 30-year-old Wilson's unflinching response, Ramsey said.

The gunmen burst in as the 8-year department veteran waited in line to purchase a game for his son, who had excelled in school and was turning 10 in a few days. He instinctively moved from the counter to draw the suspects' gunfire away from innocent bystanders and returned fire, Ramsey said. More than 50 shots were fired during the fierce gunbattle, investigators said.

"He never stopped until that fatal round was fired," Ramsey told the assembled crowd, many of whom were law enforcement officers from across the country whose dress uniforms formed patterns of blues and tans inside the Palestra sports arena.

As a side note it is common practice for law enforcement officers from other agencies, states and countries to try and send representatives as a show of unity and support.

As an example -
This is a helicopter view from the Oakland 4 funeral (4 officers were shot and killed). Canada made a showing that tugs at your heartstrings.

1000+ Royal Canadian Mounted Police attended the funeral.

edit on 15-3-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

To repeat myself: ballsy. Had to have known the odds weren't on his side, but skinned his piece and went to work anyway. A true hero in a time when the word is tossed around casually.

new topics

top topics

join