It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haven't had any in a month.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Congratulations to those of you who have and are working toward kicking this nasty, most dangerous habit!! Its a long hard-won battle of wits...you against the nicotene.

After 50 (yes, 50) years of smoking, I've been free of cigarettes for 2 months, 22 days, 11 hours and 16 minutes. I still have cravings at the oddest time (especially first thing in the morning), but I get busy with something to divert my mind.

My secret to totally quitting (and cold turkey, at that)? A week in the hospital hooked to IV's and oxygen because of COPD. I almost died because I put my habit before my health. I certainly don't have as many years left than if I had quit years ago. COPD has taken most of my energy and certainly 99% of my freedom. It's hard to get out and go when you're hooked to an oxygen tank.

Don't be stupid like I have been. Keep fighting! Just because you slip and smoke a cigarette doesn't mean you have to smoke another one. Keep on quitting until you don't smoke anymore.

J

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Not that! [ grumbles under his breath : buncha dirty minded perverts ]
Cigarettes! I haven 't had a cigarette!
For the longest time, I've wanted to quit, but the patch didn't seem right [ smokers don't want a trickle of nicotine, we need that sudden blast ] and Chantax is a flat out No. I realize that many have had success with it, but I just don't trust it because of the side effects. After looking in to e cigs about 2 years ago, I ordered a kit. The effect was immediate. No craving, no bad mood from withdraw, it was just like smoking, without the boatload of poison. Then, the batteries crapped out in 2 weeks. After looking through the internet and reading comments on several different brands, that was the big gripe. Battery life. I thought, "Why am I shelling out all this for something that's only gonna work for a few days?" So, back to Camel I go.

Now, the urge to quit had gotten hold of me again, so I decided to do some research and see which battery and e cig kit had a good rating, but was a reasonable price. I found one that was about $52, had 2 EGo Winder variable voltage batteries, 2 tanks [ the part that holds the liquid ] and a charger. Having ordered the kit from another site before, I knew what "juice" I liked, so ordered it. There are also several e cig stores in my area and they carry a very large selection of different strengths and flavors of e juice, so I've been there to pick out a few also. I don't go for the heavily flavored types, I tend more to the plain tobacco lines and there are plenty to choose from. Now, after a month of "vaping" I'm still cigarette free and fully plan to stay that way. For anyone who is on the fence and just isn't convinced it will work for them, please, try it. After smoking a pack a day for 35 years, I have no urge whatsoever to go back to tobacco cigarettes. The kit that I have is still performing perfectly after a month of draining and recharging the batteries and are, I believe, a quality product.

I look at it this way : If I smoke a pack a day and cigarettes cost about $5.00 to $6.00 a pack, that's $165 to $180 per month. Even if my batteries only lasts 3 months, that's $52 plus shipping and cost of e liquids, every 3 months. Now, you can spend a lot on these things. I saw guys at the store with batteries the size of a cigarette pack with all kinds of attachments and tanks that look like they hold a gallon of juice. But, for me, who is only looking to quit smoking tobacco cigarettes, this little set up I've got works like a charm. I bought 2 extra tanks so I don't have to mix flavors and can carry spares when I go out, but other than that, I haven't spent more than $150 all together.
What have you got to lose?

4 months for me and my wife, cold turkey, with the switch to vaping. It took some trial and error before finding long-lasting ones that also taste and work well. Many brands are rebranded eGo or other types. What we're using now is called Total Vapor, variable voltage & wattage, with the total vapor 360 tank.

They're awesome, going on 3 months with these. My recommendation, don't buy cheapies for anyone looking to drop cigs. They're not as yummy or satisfying, and don't last as long. Go all the way, you're more likely to be successful. And experiment with the flavors. The shop down the street from me sells buy 2 get 1 free, so I always use the "free" one to try a different flavor. For us, banana, orange, vanilla, honeydo (so?), etc. Have guaranteed we'll never crave the taste of a tobacco cig again. Even the vape tobacco flavors taste more like you've been carried off to an idyllic middle-earth pipe tobacco shop than a 1980's bowling alley.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

There you go again, talking sense as usual! I hear you, and I'm going to obey you. What's the point in waiting til something goes wrong.

B xxx

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyJae

Wow, that's amazing. Well done! I'm glad you stopped, but sorry about your hospital stay. Hope you're feeling good now?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

Wow, that's amazing. Well done! I'm glad you stopped, but sorry about your hospital stay. Hope you're feeling good now?

Many thanks, beansidhe

I feel better than I did before the hospital stay, but that's as far as I can truthfully say that I feel good. I smoked much too long. The damage is permanent now.

Stop smoking! The lungs aren't meant to inhale anything other than air.

J

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Loud and clear, ma'am!

I'm hoping Spring will bring better health your way, and that you'll start to heal after your body gets a rest.

B x

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I've thought about going with the e-cigs lately because a lot of people where I work use them. I've smoked for about 40 years.

I currently am smoking filtered cigars which come in a pack of 20 like cigs, but aren't subject to the cigarette tax, and cost $1.25 a pack, which comes to about $38 a month. Aside from the initial cost of equipment, this seems to be about the same as vaping. So, the benefits from switching, for me, would be reduced health risk and not having old butts sitting around in the house (other than mine, of course). There's a shop in town that specializes in this stuff, so I am going to give it some serious consideration.

A friend of mine went the hypnosis route to quit. He doesn't smoke, but every time the phone rings, he squawks like a chicken.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have been smoking for 25 years, but I don't inhale it, sure I get some but I drag and blow, its stupid and a huge waste of money. I ran a 10k (6.4 miles)yesterday in just under an hour fairly easily and I feel like if I didn't smoke then I would be faster. I do inhale my medical medicine and hold it in but I would never ever do that with a cigarette. They make everything stink, I can smell it after a shower when my nostrils are clean, I have to wash clothes constantly, my truck smells disgust, I am embarrassed and weak for letting those things beat me. Ive tried the vape, its ok but they leak, battery sucks,and I don't really inhale it either. I have got to do something, they are controlling me. I want one now just talking about it. If my parents hadn't smoked then I never would have started stealing their smokes, please DO NOT have kids if You smoke and are going to do it around them.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

SnF

Cause every day is a challenge.... I miss em!!!! In the service 70 - 76 ciggies any brand $0.25 a pack.... Went through Jump School and wanted to kick some butt as I hated seeing the weaker soldiers picked on.... Then it occurred to me that the Black Hats were running circles around us as we ran in formation.... That is one of the reasons it better serving with elite forces than standard units as many of us thought. I made a decision that either the green or the tan had to go from my lungs. The green won that war. From that point on the red n white flip top box became a friend when in the field! Had to stay warm some how....

Left the service tobacco free! When I finished with University and wanted a Company Car and trimmings I decided to be a territory manager for a NY Corporation... I chose a tobacco company for a reason. Many of my neighbours did this kind of work and had to deal with end users complaints. Visiting people who broke a tooth on a frozen food etc. I thought first professional job lets make it easier... LOL Tobacco nobody complains about Ciggies... So I went to work for no 3 who would never be no 4 and likewise never be no 2... A trunk full of tobacco..... for the next 5 years I became an occasional smoker!

When one of my bosses would ride with me was a definite smoking day. LOL I usually had for 60 day period 1 case of samples to hand out.... hmmm that is 60 cartons at 200 ciggies per. We were the low tar company.... No probs rip off the filter.....

The last time I smoke was when my first born popped out into this world. I was overseeing 5 jobbers (wholesalers to retailers) for impulse items, candy and tobacco! Each one knew of my addition... Out came cigars..... then the last wholesaler said I could have anything tobacco related that my company did not handle. Somewhere in the middle of my service I crossed the states many times in a 66 Mustang. What a privilege that was! I got bored, hmmm not really but I wanted to do something with my hands and in those days there were no cup holders and coffee houses of today was some kids dream growing up!

It had to be a pipe. Flying Dutch Man, Borgin Riff, Cherry any brand.... Loved that pipe.... I gave up the pipe when I started running 10K a day again. So when Jennifer was born being tempted I moved my friend from the CiGAAARS to the pipe section... He smile and gave me the most beautiful pipe! 5 tins to pipe tobacco and the rest of the tools one needs to keep a pipe in tip top shape.... At this point I was over looking 3 territories inspecting only age of products and compliance of contracts. I was driving hundreds of miles a day and loving it. Pipe went into ash tray, leave car, inspect store, back in car, pipe in mouth, lite, and paperwork on result inspection. Then back on the road again....

After 4 weeks of this I felt my lungs hurt. I hate people who toss things out of cars. I am also one who walks into the woods and come out with more than he carried in... BUT I had to do it.... driving by a dumpster I tossed the extinguished pipe..... Don't know if I made 2 points or not. The only way I could stop.... I have not had a tobacco product since.

Everyday its an urge. Every damn day. Him (pointing to a cup of Joe) is nothing with out him (pointing to an empty pocket). The one thing I miss is ladies who loved the smell of a pipe stating so, what I don't miss is smelling like smoke!

Moral of this story IMHO there is never a point in life that you can say that you have licked the habit! There will be that one TV show or movie, there will be that one outstanding cup of Joe on a brisk morning in the alpine, there will always be someone who makes suxing on something that smokes to look so kool and inviting! FOR me its been 3 decades but everyday its on my mind!

Long may your longing be!!!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

It's about self control....just find what stresses cause the need for the tobacco in the first.....then simply find a way pass it without including tobacco..simple.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Okay, It's been almost 2 months for me, cold turkey after 40+ years. Guess what? I want a cig ALL THE TIME1 I can't stress that enough. While I stuff my face with crappy food choices for the cravings, I see other people out kicking back and relaxing with a smoke, enjoying their few minutes of bliss. I see non-smokers (like me) as a little more frantic, always busy, messing with their phones or something. A lot less relaxed and less pondering of the Universe! Is that just my mind playing tricks, or is that my permanent future? And, I've gained at least 10 pounds since I quit. Looks like I'll have another bad habit to beat. WTH!

Plus side--I breathe better and no more coughing my lungs out, no smell on everything, people congratulate me all the time (yippee). I hope there will be more plusses over time. Still quitting here...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I live in WA and down at the weed store they got vapes with thc oil "juice". i wonder if you can use the juice in standard tobacco vapes. My problem was battery too. Glad to hear that there are better ones now.

PS we even got pot vending machines now. Almost drove to Seattle to use the first one. Or was it Tacoma? Dammit...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ATF1886
Ive been nicoteen free for 10 days i did vape but would get shortness of breath so i decided to just out right cold turkey i have not been the friendliest in last couple of days but i have been ten days without anything!!!a reply to: DAVID64

That's awesome, good job! I'm on day 4 of quitting nicotine & I hate the world lol. After the first 3 days 80% of the nicotine in your body is gone. Also, you've already made it through the most difficult period as far as frequency of cravings go. (see graph below) Keep it up!

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I have quit several times.

My rule is that you get to be lazy as long as you don't smoke. Usually works for weeks.

Making an effort to be as relaxed as possible at all times helps a lot discontinue the habit.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It hasent been too easy let me tell you i used to love smoking, im a CCW and have left my firearm at home just for the safety of the community!!!a reply to: FalafelBallz

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
For those struggling still when that craving hits, give my method a try - it's quick and actually produces a physiological effect;

1. Remind yourself you've won money, think scratchie ticket, or Pokie machine (because you've not spent on cigarettes).
2. Stop thinking about wanting a smoke, feel that victory of yet another minute without it.
3. You are Rocky.
4. Most important part, to overcome that urge - FIST PUMP. I'm serious, make a fist - tense those muscles, revel in the victory of the win without it. Hold the fist pump for 10 seconds or so.
5. That's it.

The actions get your heart rate up, and releases some endorphins which replace the release of a ciggie.

For this to work most successfully, start when you are still smoking. Last packet or two. Actively remind yourself how revolting this is, how you've become a money supplying factory for some evil pricks who rob your health and funds. At the end of each smoke in that packet, FIST PUMP. You are one fag closer to the end of smoking, think those steps above. This kind of helps train your brain to relate the actions and release you associate with smoking - giving the same satisfaction with a really muscle tensed fist pump.

No need to hoot and holler like a football hooligan. Just fist pump quietly to yourself.

Reformed smokers are the worst I understand that, but hopefully some of you give this a go. You don't move to another crutch like e-cigs, or patches etc. You have a chemical factory built inside you, put it to active use. It's completely free, in fact each fist pump you are making money.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I just had a dear friend with copd get a second chance look into stem cell therapy for copd!! a reply to: LadyJae

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Good for you OP and everyone else!

I decided to get a little more serious about using e-cigs a few weeks ago, hit up the local vape shop and after getting some schooling and dropping some money have cut out the amount of regular cigarettes I smoke pretty significantly without making any real effort.

I basically wanted something that I could puff on in lieu of a cigarette every once in awhile (there are times when I need to smell good etc.), and now have gotten to the point where I smoke 5 regular cigs on days I'm not drinking (days where I drink vary a lot). That's down from 1 to 2 packs of American Spirits a day. Keep in mind this is without trying, I don't have a set number of smokes I allow myself, I just enjoy this and it hits the spot the same (only difference is ritual which I think I may be more addicted to than nicotine).

The first e-cig I had was one of those crappy little things from a gas station. Quickly lost interest. Then decided I should try again and spent a bit more on some Joytech pen. Lost interest pretty quickly, that was probably about a year ago.

The first real e-cig set up I got was the following:

Aspire Sub ohm battery

Aspire Atlantis tank

The adjustable airflow on the Atlantis tank is awesome. I keep it dialed open and it hits smooth and nice like a regular cigarette. Battery seems to last a fairly long time. The whole set up is a little big, but still comfortable enough to carry around. It's surprisingly light too. Charges off of an eGo charger, and apparently they make passthroughs (smoke it while it's charging). I actually liked it enough that I went back and bought another battery.

After puffing on that for about a week, I decided I wanted to get something with more battery life and a bigger tank pretty much just for using at home. Ended up picking up the following set up:

7 22

Kangertech subtank

Digging this set up, prefer the Aspire Nautilus tank though. Just feels better, I like having more airflow even though I go through juice way faster and the tank isn't as big.

The seven 22 is BIG, solid and heavy. You can adjust it by pressing the button, then tilting it from side to side. Nice having the battery life on the screen too, and it tells you the resistance you're running. The only real downside is that you have to take out the battery to charge it (boo hoo).

-----

Caution for anyone about to try e-cigs

You're going to have to shell out some real money to get an e-cig that will actually do the trick. I think the set up I first got (that worked) was about $80 with juice, charger and tax. You easily save that much when you aren't buying cigarettes though. Especially if you smoke frequently or are paying $10 a pack like I am.

If you go cheap, you're going to end up paying more in the long run. You'll realize the cheap stuff sucks, then you'll wind up buying better stuff and tossing the starter kit.

Research online before you buy, and if not buying online make sure to check reviews of the vape shop you go to. Places like mini marts or head shops aren't probably going to be the best place to buy. A dedicated vape shop where they don't even sell the crappy stuff is the place to go. It's probably going to cost a little bit more from a shop than online, but I think it's worth the extra buck or two when you're getting good advice and service. It's like buying a gun from Wal-Mart vs. the local shop, one is going to take care of you and answer stupid questions, the other is going to know less than you do.

Good luck to everyone! I've seen a lot of people on ATS that know WAY more than me and are doing their own builds and up to snuff with all the intricacies. I just wanted to share what I've learned so far, and what's working for me so that people don't go out and blow money on crappy alternatives.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

For ten bucks you can get a 5ml tank for your Atlantis. Much less time spent refilling and well worth the money.

I started out six months ago with an Innokin MVP 2 and several small Aspire tanks for easily swapping flavors. Quit a pack plus a day "analog" habit and never looked back. Now have five little tanks, a Nautilus and a Nautilus mini and a lot of variety.

The last month though, I've also been rocking an Aspire Atlantis with the new Ileaf iStick 50. With a 4400 mAh battery and vaping at 25W, I only need to charge it every other day. Plugs into a computer USB port or phone charger and can be used while charging (passthrough).

I'd agree with your advice to those wanting to give it a try. Skip the cig-a-likes from the convenience store and find a local vape shop. You'll spend more but more likely to stick with it plus you'll get to sample different juices.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
When I quite - cold turkey - I used to have dreams where I just stood there smoking an entire cigarette. So it would be like a five minute dream of just smoking a cig. Very vivid, too, I would wake up feeling guilty that I had one.

That worried me more than the lung cancer risk, that smoking would affect my dreams like that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join