It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the blind be able to own firearms?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Xtrozero

That's a very good point.
How does it apply to concealed carry?

A shotgun can not be carried concealed in any normal way. That is twice now you mentioned concealed... did I miss something in the OP?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

a reply to: bullseyelqcs

Part of that requirement is that you attend a firearms handling class.

It doesn't say that. It says a safety class.

I have a motorboat. Last year it became a law in my state that I take a boater safety course to operate my motorboat. I did. On the internet. That's it. I got a card to prove I'm a safe boater. If I was blind I would be a safe boater.

I figured you understood that to make that point, you might have to do a little more research than you did, but I got you covered anyway. Part of the requirement for the Hunter Safety Course that must be passed is the passing of a safe firearms handling class. One of the requirements of that class is that you can safely fire your weapon downrange without killing someone behind you. As such, that is indeed part of the requirement of getting a concealed carry permit.

As I said before, it is very hard to imagine a blind person being able to prove proficiency at that on thier own. Even when you see the videos of blind people "hunting" or taking target practice, they are really only pulling the trigger after thier sighted assistants set everything up. That is NOT practical use of a firearm in the name of defense, and we both know it.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

The last video, apparently.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

link   
a reply to: eisegesis

There are A LOT of idiots with 20/20 vision who own guns.

And bicycles, cars and TVs. A blind person can 'shoot' pool, too.

Just playing along here, I don't deny the rights of citizens to own firearms, cars or bicycles. Operating them safely while blind? Thats a different matter.

link   

No.
But obtaining a permit to carry a concealed weapons is allowed in most (all?) states. If you fulfill the requisites. I haven't found one which specifies being sighted.

Most states you need to take a safety class and shoot a target to pass... Some states you just need to pay and get a background check like in my state of WA.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

See above.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

www.huntercourse.com...

Wow....I missed that part about Oregon. I apparently clicked on a different state, because that state required online test takers to attend a field day. So in Oregon, you are correct. My mistake.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

www.huntercourse.com...

Do they offer the hunter safety course in Braille?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

My computer doesn't do braille but it does read text.

HUNTERcourse.com is fully narrated. All materials, including quizzes, are illustrated or animated. You don’t just read.

edit on 3/8/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

See above.

I don't think those courses are any good for concealed. When I got my concealed in Texas I had to shoot a target, rather easy for my level of expertise, but one still needs to show proficiency. As I said though I'm sure in many states a blind person can just file for one, as I did in WA.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

And bicycles, cars and TVs. A blind person can 'shoot' pool, too.

Come on, those don't even compare.

Just playing along here, I don't deny the rights of citizens to own firearms, cars or bicycles. Operating them safely while blind? Thats a different matter.

What about drunk? What about enraged? I would feel safer shooting at the range with a blind gun owner than Dirty Harry during an anti-Muslim flare up waving his gun around.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Oregon requires a "safety course."
edit on 3/8/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

www.huntercourse.com...

Do they offer the hunter safety course in Braille?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So I have done some research, and it appears that Oregon is one of only a few states that don't require you to show up and actually prove your competence with your weapon. Washington, Massachussetts, Iowa, New Mexico, North Carolina, Texas, Vermont and Virginia also do not carry that requirement.

Remind me to stay the hell out of those states in the future.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I think you can add Alabama.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Oregon requires a "safety course."

Is it possible to fail it...hehe

I live in Washington just over the river from Portland.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis
They can exercise common sense just as the rest of us can..well most anyway, what they cannot do is positively identify the target..pretty damn important part of "firearm responsibility"
Im Canadian so this just does not make sense..sure own all you want just don't shoot them..I dunno this is crazy.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   

My computer doesn't do braille but it does read text.

HUNTERcourse.com is fully narrated. All materials, including quizzes, are illustrated or animated. You don’t just read.

All materials are illustrated or animated.....

Doesn't that require that you be able to see the images in front of you? I mean, we have all seen Powerpoint presentations before. What is being said is not always what is on the screen, and sometimes the image on the screen is there to provide context to what is being said. If you can't see that image, no amount of narration is going to change that.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Doesn't that require that you be able to see the images in front of you?
No. It means that there are illustrations for those who can't read well.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join