It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am No Longer Homeless

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+70 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Some of you might remember a few months ago I wrote about standing on a street corner panhandling for money. I am happy to announce that I am now in an apartment and gainfully employed. I just had internet service installed today, so I wanted to come here and let everyone know I am doing much better.

I owe thanks to Goodwill of the Heartland that has a program for veterans that are looking for work. They let me work in their store for 12 hours a week so I would have money. They also have an office equipped with computers to submit online applications.

I owe thanks to the Valor program through Humility of Mary shelter that helps homeless veterans find a place of their own. They helped me with rent and utilities until I am now able to manage on my own.

I owe thanks to Job Service of Iowa that led me to the job I have now.

I also owe much thanks to those here on ATS that were supportive in my trying times. You all helped me keep my courage up and pull through.

I am currently working at a call center doing customer service for SeriusXM radio. I love the job, I love the people I work with and, after a couple of checks, I am confident that I can carry on paying the bills on my own. I still get food stamps and medicaid from the state, but I expect to be completely off those programs by this summer.

The apartment I have is nice and in a quiet neighborhood. The landlord is a pleasant, middle aged fellow and the neighbors are friendly. They even have a community garden area where I can grow a few vegetables.

My goals now are to repay money that I borrowed from family, get new tires for the car and have some other minor work done. I also have thought about volunteering at a local meal site that fed me when I was in need.

Again, I want to thank you all here for keeping me afloat during an emotionally trying period in my life. If I may paraphrase from "The Honeymooners": ATS, you're the greatest.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
How great is this news! I'm so pleased for you. Your gratitude to the deserving organizations and people is a great reminder for us all not to take anything for granted. May you find continued success and happiness.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Thank you. I'm seeing some hope after the storm.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I love this. I am so happy that everything has improved for you. I hope it continues to do so.

This made me smile so big. I love good comeback stories.

Go you. Because even though you had some help, it was still you. A lot of people have the same help and just don't utilize it the way you did. Awesome!

edit on 3/7/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Good for you fella I like seeing people improve their lives.
Well done and good luck for the future.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thank you. Being down and out was a very devastating experience as I'm sure it is for most everyone in that situation.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Good on you mate.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Dear N3k9Ni - I am so happy for you and so happy you let us know how you are doing.

May you always have peace and a happy heart.

Your new life sounds wonderful and that you love your job - BONUS!

Well done in every way. I'm so proud of you.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I can only imagine. My husband and I have lost everything once but were fortunate enough to have his parents help us out so that we could live with them until we could get back on our feet. If not for that???

I'm sorry that anyone ever has to go through that.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Great news!

It's wonderful to hear there was some help out there for you. They deserve lots of praise for the help they gave.

People can only help a bit however. The reality is that you did the work and pulled yourself up. Congrats for recovering and All the Best in the future!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Thank you all for the replies and well wishes. I need to go out this afternoon, though, and do a little shopping. I need curtains for the windows and some personal stuff for myself.

If I don't reply further, please forgive me.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
God for you. I hope it works for you.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Congratulations. I am speaking from experience when I say that being broke and homeless is not much fun.
In hindsight, I can say that it was an adventure and a learning experience, but I have no desire to go back to living day to day as a hunter/gatherer and improvising shelter.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I know the feeling, I'm about to be there again myself. Being poor sucks but it's not always forever. I'm glad you are getting back to a normal life again. Semper Fi and thanks for serving bro!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Congratulations!!
How amazing for you! There are so many organizations doing good work quietly we forget that people are decent and kind. Happy for you, you found a place with a good landlord and will have some security. How cool is it??!!
Just really happy for you!

edit on 7-3-2015 by Caver78 because: forgot to add the "happys"

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You have no idea how much this hits home. I was also homeless many years back but pulled through to be a business owner. Still broke but I'm ok with that.

The real shame is a vet having to go through this crap.

If a politician can serve a few years and be set up for life, why not someone who has put their life on the line for political agendas?

Not right at all.

But in the end, happy for you.

Peace

edit on 7-3-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Congrats and believe in yourself!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Wow, this just made me so happy! So Happy for YOU and so great to hear good news in this crazy world!

Your gratitude toward those who helped you is refreshing. Hope things continue looking up for you.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
First of all. Thank you for your service.

What a great thread. You have a wonderful attitude and I am really happy to see how things have turned around for you.
You made my day.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I am so happy to hear your good news!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join