It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Compares the Selma March to Immigrants

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Obama has been taking down the house at Selma today.

It's the 50th Anniversary of the famous American civil rights march that happened in Selma, Alabama.

Even George And Laura Bush were seen standing in applause at Obama's powerful speech.

But Obama made a comparison yesterday that might be worth discussing.

President Obama is using the fiftieth anniversary of the march on Selma, Ala., to defend his illegal executive actions on immigration.

During an interview on Sirius XM’s “Urban View,” Obama claimed that deporting children of illegal aliens runs counter to the spirit of the civil rights movement.

“The notion that some kid that was brought here when he was two or three years old might somehow be deported at the age of 20 or 25, even though they’ve grown up as American, that’s not who we are,” he said during an interview air Friday on Sirius XM’s “Urban View” with Joe Madison.

“That’s not true to the spirit of what the march on Selma was about.”

President Obama's Selma Comparison Scrutinized by Deneen Borelli

Why would Obama see any "similarities"??

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
In a way it is true...did the slaves have any say when they were brought here?

Did a child brought here by his parents illegally have any say in the matter?

No..so why should a child suffer for the mistakes of their parents?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I agree also.
deporting kids? heck those kids will grow up as USA citizens and be very thankful of the gift the US have given them.
Also they are the next wave of cannon fodder for whatever war comes next (sad but true
).

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

In a way it is true…did the slaves have any say when they were brought here?

I dunno, slaves are kidnapped from their homeland forcibly…

To the thread. I get his comparison. The march in Selma was about being allowed to co exist in society on equal ground.

If someone came here as a toddler and has lived here for 20-25 years, why not allow them to stay?

Intolerance is the problem, not tenure.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Obama really has a wacky way of viewing history. I am not sure if he believes it or it is part of his excessive liberal indoctrination. It just goes to show that any nutter with a pen can re-write history.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

It would help to have a little context, don't you think?

Madison ASKED him for a comparison between Selma civil rights and immigration, saying "A lot of my listeners - sometimes they question whether the pathway to immigration is a civil rights issue. They also question whether gay rights are a civil rights issue. Are they part of a civil rights issue?"

Obama answered: "Absolutely. When you think about the principle that was upheld that day on the Evan Pettus bridge, it was the promise of an inclusive America. It was the promise of a America where everybody is equal under the law. And the fact is, we are a nation of immigrants and the notion that some kid that was brought here when he was two or three years old might somehow be deported at the age of 20 or 25, even though they’ve grown up as American, that’s not who we are. That’s not true to the spirit of what the march on Selma was about.”

Audio Source

If people want to get bent out of shape about that, it's their right, but let's have it in context before going all righteous...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Why would Obama see any "similarities"??

I think the real question you should be asking yourself is; Why is it that you can't see the obvious similarities?

As usual, the President gave a great speech that anyone with half a brain and an ounce of empathy could easily understand and agree with.

If you don't get it, I'd look inward because that's where the problem is....and we all know it.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Xuenchen spinning the story? no he never does that....

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

What is really sad is that people think Obama or any of the other Democrats pushing for amnesty really gives a damn about the lives of those they pretend to care about.

Take a look around, the government is about taking care of themselves. It's quite obvious at this point, that citizens are nothing more than livestock to those in charge to manipulate to their will. Let alone this fake outrage that they care about those who come here in violation of our already in place immigration laws.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Yes he gives great speeches but what amazes me is theres still some folks that haven't figured out Obama is about as genuine as a thai rolex

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I love how FOX puts up their black pundit to complain about what Obama said... as if her opinion is somehow more valid, because she's black. She's a FOX newsie! What do you think she's going to say? Her politics are clearly more important to her than the truth of the matter. After all, she's got hers. Why would she be concerned about all the people coming behind her?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Good Catch.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I love how FOX puts up their black pundit to complain about what Obama said... as if her opinion is somehow more valid, because she's black. She's a FOX newsie! What do you think she's going to say? Her politics are clearly more important to her than the truth of the matter. After all, she's got hers. Why would she be concerned about all the people coming behind her?

Is Fox News anchor woman Harris Faulkner (black) a faux loon as you always 150% utter?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Good Catch.

You know what would be a good catch? If YOU realized that FOX News is so biased that they'll take ANY opportunity to rag on Obama for ANY reason, and if YOU would decide to look a little further into the stories they print to find out the truth instead of running as fast as your little fingers can carry you to post about it on ATS.

THAT would be a good catch.

The sentences in the OP didn't sound right to me, so I decided to listen to the interview myself. If you continue to see everything through the lens of FOX News, and take them on their word, you're missing out on the truth, plain and simple.

Plus you'd have a LOT more respect here.
edit on 3/7/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
He is also "racializing" illegal immigration. Putting the issue in the light of bigotry that prevailed before the civil rights movement. Thus bypassing the real legal considerations, constitutional considerations that are markedly different from the problems of the African american question. Even blacks are questioning this sloppy application of illegal immigration to the civil rights/constitutional issue.

Illegal immigrants are citizens of another country who of their own free will moved here without regard to law for the purpose of availing themselves of the benefits of our society. Their justification for legit standing is quite a bit different from that of blacks. They really cant lay the sort of grievances against the constitution or our society that blacks can. For example Mexicans here illegally cannot claim a forced incorporative grievance that could be resolved by the granting of the rights of citizenship and standing under the constitution. This "anchor baby" condition is a poor substitute for equal condition of a forced incorporation that blacks have. Blacks can claim status by the simple virtue that they were taken by force from their own society and placed under bondage of another and therefore entitled to citizenship of same having been severed from the prior. Thats hardly a claim recent illegals can make. Mexicans can only appeal to the largess of our society and a graceful grant of citizenship.

link   

originally posted by: Granite
Is Fox News anchor woman Harris Faulkner (black) a faux loon as you always 150% utter?

I have never uttered the phrase "faux loon". You're clearly confused.

link   

so noted.

a few nerves getting shook up I see.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Yea its true. You can only sell your race and color as 24 carat gold if it comes out of the left and is democrat. The only real minority politicians and journalists are left and progressive.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join