It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has happened to you, ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
I believe the reason is that the stigma of Christians constantly saying that if you do this, or you don't do that, you'll go to hell, is the cause of it. Instead of loving and serving as Christians are supposed to do, it's continual judgement and condemnation of people and actions. It's hard for a Christian to say they love someone, then say the Bible damns them for everything they've done so far in life.

It's fine if Christians want to share their faith. But what's not okay is to go on and on about how a person is going to hell instead of loving them and letting them come to grips with what the Bible says for themselves.

That's what turns people off to Christianity.

I think you are absolutely correct. Their own god clearly states "judge not lest ye be judged "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you." Yet many christians seem to want to push their beliefs onto others, and act like you are not as good as them because you dont believe what they do. Part of having a good discussion is being able to see both views of something.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I skipped all the christian whining, seen it too many times.a reply to: ProfessorChaos

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Perhaps it's a generalization. Though, since the Bible itself is based upon accepting Christ as a personal savior from eternal damnation, it's a valid generalization. Christians aren't commanded to judge. They're commanded to love and be in the world, but not of it. But all too many times, Christians do take it upon themselves to judge.

That's where people find fault.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
I skipped all the christian whining, seen it too many times.a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Well, then thank you for at least admitting that you missed the point.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It's usually the Christians that are the most judgmental.

OOPS!!!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Some Christians take it upon themselves to judge, just as some non believers do the same. Not all of them.

That's all I'm saying.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I see post go both ways. From Christians and non believers. What is good for one is good for the other. I don't know how many times i have seen a religious person calling others uninformed, delusional. stupid ec.. How many times is Islam insulted. I think it is just open. If not out of hand it is fine. Tuff it up. Other side isn't crying in their beer. If you have a defense for you view, present it. Defend yourself without being out of hand. Call them, out if it is just an attack. Tuff it up grow some. You think others like their beliefs, non-beliefs, intelligence challenged or insulted either? I myself welcome it. Some don't. Some people only care about their own views. Too bad. In a sharing forum, you may not have everyone sharing your opinion. That is what makes it interesting. Good to bring out of the woodwork the pacifists and radical views. To show people in all groups that all contain some extreme views. May open you eyes on your own cult even.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

Some Christians take it upon themselves to judge, just as some non believers do the same. Not all of them.

That's all I'm saying.

This is true, but Christianity has been pronouncing judgement, sometimes via death or subjugation, on peoples for over 1600 years now.

So maybe the backlash is simply righteous and Christianity as a whole is finally getting what it's been dishing out. Remember, in the West one couldn't really get away very easily with publicly calling out Christianity until not that long ago. Even today, it's hard to get elected in America without at least claiming to be Christian.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

Okay, where exactly did you pick up that I was "crying in my beer"?

Bashing/Baiting posts are detrimental to this site, no matter who is being bashed, or why.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

That's all I'm saying.

Non believers don't bang on about the morals in a book that tell them not to judge though, we have an excuse, you believers don't practice what you preach, us non believers don't preach

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I agree in concept. However isn't that a bit of a generalization? There's always a vocal minority to any group of people, and those vocal minorities seem to sway majority opinion against whichever group the minority is supposed to be a part of.

This is a fair point. Most Christians just mind their own business. Same for atheists or Muslims for example. But it's the extreme and most loud people that get noticed. They are also the ones that show up in the news.

Most people, similarly, fall into the logical fallacy of over-generalization, stereotyping whole groups.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

That's all I'm saying.

This is true, but Christianity has been pronouncing judgement, sometimes via death or subjugation, on peoples for over 1600 years now.

So maybe the backlash is simply righteous and Christianity as a whole is finally getting what it's been dishing out. Remember, in the West one couldn't really get away very easily with publicly calling out Christianity until not that long ago. Even today, it's hard to get elected in America without at least claiming to be Christian.

People killing in the name of Christianity is one thing.

Christianity calling for the execution of people is another.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Bashing/Baiting posts are detrimental to this site, no matter who is being bashed, or why.

Tell that to the people who attempt to lie in the evolution threads....also maybe it is because when shown evidence they just ignore it all and just quote scripture.
It is infuriating.
I agree with others people are waking up and questioning religion, for years you couldn't question it and now with education and the internet we can and we will.
If the religious want people to just agree with them without question or mockery (Oh it should be mocked) goto a religious site.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Well, we have to be very careful about our operational definition of "bashing/baiting."

If you mean people just being mean spirited or making extreme and slanderous (meaning not accurate) statements about any group or belief, then yes, I do not think that is productive.

If you mean people criticizing something, then no. As long as someone posts something that is relatively accurate and not simply being abusive for no reason, then it should be allowed.

Apply the slander/libel approach. There is nothing wrong nor illegal with telling the truth. If it is false and harms others, then it's slanderous or "bearing false witness."

We should never not bring up important issues though just because someone might get offended. I'm not going to not post let's say that the Iraq War was an illegal war of aggression that killed 100,000's of Iraqi civilians just because some 'Murican or soldier might cry.
edit on 7-3-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Ok, that's fine and all that, but part of having the discussion as it were it to point out that, yes, indeed, some things are sins or sinful. Some people choose to interpret that as a Christian saying, "You're going to hell!" That doesn't help. Jesus did minister to the sinners in society, not the morally upright, but he didn't do so by saying, "Hey, buddy, whatever you do is fine by me. We're all gonna party hearty in heaven anyhow." He taught them what they were doing was wrong and why even though he loved them. Even the woman at the temple whom he saved from being stoned he admonished to "go and sin no more."

Simply put, you cannot have a real discussion of Christianity and the Bible without this part of the faith.

edit on 7-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

That's all I'm saying.

People killing in the name of Christianity is one thing.

Christianity calling for the execution of people is another.

What is your meaning?

Both have occurred by the way in history.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

That's all I'm saying.

Non believers don't bang on about the morals in a book that tell them not to judge though, we have an excuse, you believers don't practice what you preach, us non believers don't preach

What you see as not-preaching ... gets awful preachy.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

If no one agrees with the post, it fades away. That goes for those that don't like religion and those that do. Whatever kind of article or view that is posted.

Crying in beer.

Has any other side of any view posted a protest like statement against others that have comments against them? Defend you view like others do, don't try and ban one side. You want yours banned too?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Like what? What magic book of morals and values do we preach from. What is the magic book for unbelieversa reply to: ketsuko

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I think it's because Christianity has a tyrannical hold on the West. Christian morals dominate our laws. "Christian" politicians dominate our government bodies. Those that hold power will be attacked, most especially if they wield that power as a weapon against those different from themselves.

In the USA it isn't supposed to be that way, we are supposed to be Americans first... UNITED, despite our being different from one another. As a non Christian, the options in my life shouldn't be limited by the moral teachings of a religion, but they are as are millions of others, well rather billions because people dominated by their Christian faith wield enough power to reach beyond their own borders.

That said, it's no justification for just outright attacking Christians or Christianity or the religiously inclined in general. But I suspect that isn't really the case anyway, outside of militant atheists. I suspect most people are attacking situations caused by a person/persons of Christian faith. Teaching creationism in public schools for example. Or just calling out the blatant hypocrisy of Christian leaders.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join