It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has happened to you, ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The recent uptick in 'bashing' threads (lately, the Christian bashing ones, though it would appear that baseless bashing, of any kind, has become quite the norm around here), has caused me to limit my interactions on ATS.

This is not a post in defense of Christianity, as I personally do not believe that Christianity, Jesus, or God really needs to be defended. Nor is it a defense of any non-christian worldview; being a Christian, I wouldn't imagine speaking for those of that viewpoint would be overly accepted.

I'm curious as to what members that take the time and effort to attack Christianity, actually get out of doing so. Is it the thrill of antagonizing others? Is it the need to make yourself feel that you've indeed made the correct choices in your own lives?
Do you walk down the street on a daily basis, pointing out others, and demeaning them for thinking differently than you? Or is the quasi-anonymous nature of the internet required for you to do that?

I mean, if you're one of the "I don't need a bearded sky wizard, and a book of mythological fairy tales to know how to live my life" people, good for you. Seriously. But, what purpose does saying those words serve, other than to demean other people? There's something to be said for tact.

The same should be directed at Christian members that waste their time posting in obviously anti-Christian threads, or starting anti-Atheism (or whichever label you happen to choose for yourself) threads. (I'd like to mention that I'm referring to the blatant bashing types of threads, as opposed to the few, well-thought-out intellectual ones, that seek answers to sincere questions, on either side).

The hellfire, and brimstone crowd know who they are.

In order to avoid claims of hypocrisy, I've fallen into the trap of taking the bait as well, so I haven't been immune.

This tit-for-tat mentality is doing nothing for the redeeming intellectual environment that ATS is capable of providing. Believing in a God does not preclude someone from being intelligent and open-minded. To Christians, the same goes for members that choose to not believe; you have no idea what the Lord has in store for those people in their lives, so don't automatically assume that they're going to Hell to suffer for all eternity (none of Jesus' disciples were on a one-way trip to paradise, in the beginning), just because they don't agree with you at the moment.

This is not a Christian site. This is not an Atheist site. This is not a Pagan site. It's a social, conspiracy discussion site (at least, that was my understanding upon joining).

I guess this is more of a plea to the entire ATS community, to get back to discussion, and stop kicking each other in the shins over topics, that those generally doing most of the kicking, have no actual investment in to begin with.

Rather than embracing ignorance, why don't we all get back to (respectfully) denying it?

(As an aside, I realize that I may have opened a fair-sized can of worms here. So, for those that aren't interested in watching a virtual 'crucifixion', please steer clear, and save yourselves the effort of wading through it)

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Another Christian persecution thread. Good job others arnt so easily offended

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Sometimes I feel left out because no one ever picks on my religion...

For the most part, however, it seems that a lot of members simply want to have those discussions ad infinitum. I could care less, personally. It doesn't effect my world view. I say let them eat cake, so to speak.

Hail Eris
All Hail Discordia
Kallisti

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

i agree ive been a lurker for over a decade one of the reasons i joined was the amount of christian bashing so to my brothers and sisters in christ on here we are not alone

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I believe it is a symptom of moral relativism and the blind defense of deleterious ideologies from a position of imagined intellectual superiority and politically correct self-righteousness.
edit on 7-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It appears that ATS is in ... General Disarray.

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Another Christian persecution thread. Good job others arnt so easily offended

Sorry, I'm going to have call a strike on that swing. Did you read the whole post, or did you stall out in the opening paragraph?

link   
I believe the reason is that the stigma of Christians constantly saying that if you do this, or you don't do that, you'll go to hell, is the cause of it. Instead of loving and serving as Christians are supposed to do, it's continual judgement and condemnation of people and actions. It's hard for a Christian to say they love someone, then say the Bible damns them for everything they've done so far in life.

It's fine if Christians want to share their faith. But what's not okay is to go on and on about how a person is going to hell instead of loving them and letting them come to grips with what the Bible says for themselves.

That's what turns people off to Christianity.
edit on 3/7/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: CaptainTwig
It appears that ATS is in ... General Disarray.

Well played, sir. Well played.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Constructive, civil debates are healthy. Making fun of someone or demeaning them for their beliefs just points out ones own ignorance. I personally enjoy debating religious topics as much as any other topics. You know, point-counter point talk. On the other hand, for whatever reason,, religion is a very sensitive topic for some folks. Like that old saying you shouldnt talk politics or religion with friends. I guess some people are really just weak minded individuals and cannot have a conversation without snarkiness and rude comments. I will tell you one thing for sure, theses "internet warriors" would not have the balls to say these things to peoples face. Either way, I really just laugh off any rude comments I see. Give someone enough rope and....well, you know.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

I agree in concept. However isn't that a bit of a generalization? There's always a vocal minority to any group of people, and those vocal minorities seem to sway majority opinion against whichever group the minority is supposed to be a part of.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

This is not a Christian site. This is not an Atheist site. This is not a Pagan site. It's a social, conspiracy discussion site (at least, that was my understanding upon joining).

This is a Conspirianity site. Many denominations come here to attack other denominations and/or defend. But all denominations of Conspirianity have one thing in common. They think someone is conspiring against them.

👣

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos muslims and gays are free reign on this site. It's open season on these two minorities, but it's only the christians who complain about anti christian threads

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

But all denominations of Conspirianity have one thing in common. They think someone is conspiring against them.

You speak the truth, O cerulean beast of burden.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Thanks for having thr guts to do what I could'nt.

S&F!!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
The recent uptick in 'bashing' threads (lately, the Christian bashing ones, though it would appear that baseless bashing, of any kind, has become quite the norm around here), has caused me to limit my interactions on ATS.

This is not a post in defense of Christianity, as I personally do not believe that Christianity, Jesus, or God really needs to be defended. Nor is it a defense of any non-christian worldview; being a Christian, I wouldn't imagine speaking for those of that viewpoint would be overly accepted.

I'm curious as to what members that take the time and effort to attack Christianity, actually get out of doing so. Is it the thrill of antagonizing others? Is it the need to make yourself feel that you've indeed made the correct choices in your own lives?
Do you walk down the street on a daily basis, pointing out others, and demeaning them for thinking differently than you? Or is the quasi-anonymous nature of the internet required for you to do that?

I mean, if you're one of the "I don't need a bearded sky wizard, and a book of mythological fairy tales to know how to live my life" people, good for you. Seriously. But, what purpose does saying those words serve, other than to demean other people? There's something to be said for tact.

The same should be directed at Christian members that waste their time posting in obviously anti-Christian threads, or starting anti-Atheism (or whichever label you happen to choose for yourself) threads. (I'd like to mention that I'm referring to the blatant bashing types of threads, as opposed to the few, well-thought-out intellectual ones, that seek answers to sincere questions, on either side).

The hellfire, and brimstone crowd know who they are.

In order to avoid claims of hypocrisy, I've fallen into the trap of taking the bait as well, so I haven't been immune.

This tit-for-tat mentality is doing nothing for the redeeming intellectual environment that ATS is capable of providing. Believing in a God does not preclude someone from being intelligent and open-minded. To Christians, the same goes for members that choose to not believe; you have no idea what the Lord has in store for those people in their lives, so don't automatically assume that they're going to Hell to suffer for all eternity (none of Jesus' disciples were on a one-way trip to paradise, in the beginning), just because they don't agree with you at the moment.

I guess this is more of a plea to the entire ATS community, to get back to discussion, and stop kicking each other in the shins over topics, that those generally doing most of the kicking, have no actual investment in to begin with.

Rather than embracing ignorance, why don't we all get back to (respectfully) denying it?

(As an aside, I realize that I may have opened a fair-sized can of worms here. So, for those that aren't interested in watching a virtual 'crucifixion', please steer clear, and save yourselves the effort of wading through it)

I get your point. I have a lot of Christian friends and family, and generally try my best to be respectful of their beliefs. I don't put them down.

Having said that, there are reasons that people are so virulently anti-Christian.

One, for hundreds of years Christians have been saying that everyone else is lost and wrong. Two, this perspective has been used to justify all manners of atrocities, from the Inquisition to colonization ("Christianizing the heathens").

Third, even today there are Christians in this society trying to force their beliefs onto all the rest of us, including with laws related to gay people, drugs, etc ad infinitum.

Fourth, my own personal problem with a lot of fundamentalist Christians is that I have first hand been the victim of a few people who claimed to be devout, went to church every week, posted Jesus posts on FB, etc, and then acted really horribly towards me. One was my ex, who is the mother of my child. She cheated on me, justifying it because she and her mom (who is also a Christian) thought she needed to end the relationship because get this, I wasn't Christian enough for them. Another "friend" and former roommate who is also very devout also recently did something horrible to me.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of great Christians out there. But there are enough hypocrites and those who even seem to be the opposite of what Jesus preached that a lot of people are finally calling Christianity out.

Fifth, many of us truly believe that fundamentalist Christianity is a very twisted theology that actually harms people and brainwashes them, with all due respect. It is not enough to say "but if it makes people happy let it be." Beliefs can and do cause damage externally and internally, much as I noted in my points above.

So, this may explain many threads harping on Christianity. A lot of people are sick of the history and hypocrisy.
edit on 7-3-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

For the most part, I've taken an approach of "What can I possbly add to this conversation" with regards to commenting.

I try to use this as a means to determine whether or not I can add something positive to the conversation.

A few nights ago, I slipped. I got hot under the collar, and went at it hammer and tong. Suffice it to say, I am solely responsible for letting myself down by allowing myself to get upset and thus taking the bait.

What frustrates me THE MOST about this site, is that very few here appear to want to discuss. Instead, it's a debate of I'm right, and you're wrong. And this is not limited to religious discussions. Just yesterday, I was in a thread where I was repeatedly told that I was not only stupid but lacking the common sense to know better....

.....simply because I choose to ignore what is ATS accepted cannon and review sources of information for myself before making a decision......

To those who accept the cannon, I was being called out as someone who clearly believed ANYTHING I read or viewed. I was unable to review and decide for myself.

I was wrong in their eyes. For wanting to engage in my own discovery rather than being spoon fed what is communally accepted as "truth".

Isn't that kind of sorta what the issue with MSM is that brought a site like this into existence in the first place?

This would be a wonderful place if people would DISCUSS things. And by discuss, I am not saying that it has to be all happy nice smiles and handshaking. But there is a huge difference between a discussion and a debate.

Debates end up with winners and losers.

A good discussion *can* end up with a level of synergy where all participants are winners.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Plus science...look at all the evolution threads made by religious folk attempting to push their religions agenda.
And people wonder why many fight back?.
Boo Hoo.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: ProfessorChaos muslims and gays are free reign on this site. It's open season on these two minorities, but it's only the christians who complain about anti christian threads

Again, did you read my entire post, or just skip through it? It wasn't just about Christian bashing, it was about the tenor being set on ATS with all of the bashing threads that have been popping up lately.

Christian bashing was the initial example, due to my just perusing yet another thread doing just that.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Plus science...look at all the evolution threads made by religious folk attempting to push their religions agenda.
And people wonder why many fight back?.
Boo Hoo.
The death cries of outdated philosophy can be the most dangerous

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join