It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6 most damning findings from the DOJ's report on racism in the city of Ferguson

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I grew up in a community, both local and state, where I was a minority. I'm saying that institutional racism takes a backseat in America to institutional classism. I got trailed around stores because I was wearing ripped jeans, shirts with the sleeves torn off, and a grungy ballcap on my mulleted head... my white skin didn't grant me any privileges. I have a strong belief that we're seeing exactly the same within the black and hispanic minority communities today. If you walk into a store with your pants slung so low half your ass is hanging out, a shirt that tails down to your knees, and bop around the store like you just cut a rank fart, you are going to get trailed and that isn't racism... It may, in fact, be stereotyping or even profiling, but to call it racial profiling is disingenuous.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Spider879

I grew up in a community, both local and state, where I was a minority. I'm saying that institutional racism takes a backseat in America to institutional classism. I got trailed around stores because I was wearing ripped jeans, shirts with the sleeves torn off, and a grungy ballcap on my mulleted head... my white skin didn't grant me any privileges. I have a strong belief that we're seeing exactly the same within the black and hispanic minority communities today. If you walk into a store with your pants slung so low half your ass is hanging out, a shirt that tails down to your knees, and bop around the store like you just cut a rank fart, you are going to get trailed and that isn't racism... It may, in fact, be stereotyping or even profiling, but to call it racial profiling is disingenuous.

But Burdman I grew up in an era before the pants hanging off the ass generation, yes a shabby look draws attention but racial profiling draws even more there are two many stories of that to go into, and while being followed by a clerk is annoying being hassled by LOE can be deadly the fact that you lived in a minority majority community only increased YOUR risk of being hassled and treated badly yes it does shade into class especially of late I spoke to that earlier,the problem is if you are Black you are more likely to be perceived to be poor,the poor do not have the money or time to challenge the courts so they cop a plea more, the payola is thus easier for that very reason..target rich environment.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Every thing you have stated are hardcore facts, Unfortunately Racists and their apologists don't care about The Truth, They will pretend they don't see it even when its blatantly obvious. If the facts look overwhelming they stay silent until they can come up with some ridiculous analogy to justify the racism by denying the facts and grasping at straws. Nowadays Race-baiter is a term born out of this tumultuous climate, if you see discrimination and bring attention to it you are basically viewed as being worst than the racist himself, imagine that! its crazy!

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
But Burdman I grew up in an era before the pants hanging off the ass generation

That era is trying to die, but as long as we keep trying to force the problems of that era to remain so in today's era, it cannot do so. That's what this whole situation revolves around, history vs the present. America has made huge strides in all aspects of civil rights over the past 50 years. Generally speaking, it seems to be a better idea to celebrate accomplishments rather than exaggerate perceived failures. I realize this is a damned difficult thing to do in 2015, especially when the leader of the free world has turned every criticism of him by the people into a claim of racism, but dammit it is something we need to do or else all the progress made will be lost in an exasperated "Why should we even try when it's never enough?" declaration from the people.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Systematic racism is very, very real. White privilege is very, very, real. I have experienced both first hand and will kindly tell YOU to get real. I'm a white male too, but what do I know.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Very true Xtrozero but Poor AA communities make for target rich environments.

But is it racism? Close to 70% of the population there is black and most likely higher for those under the age of 60, so the vast majority that would be a target is black. Where I live in Washington state the vast majority is white, so is the targeted vast majority here.

I'm not trying to defend them in any way. I'm just commenting on this one aspect. I do feel though that the police mirror the environment that they live and work in, and Ferguson would not be a place I would move to anytime soon.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

Systematic racism is very, very real. White privilege is very, very, real. I have experienced both first hand and will kindly tell YOU to get real. I'm a white male too, but what do I know.

I won't react how I want to...

I will just say read my post again!

& then maybe you will see that's exactly what I said.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So what's the solution here?

No more parking tickets?

Or how about parking tickets with a disclaimer at the bottom...

***If you're black, please disregard this citation and accept our most sincere apologies***

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
So what's the solution here?

No more parking tickets?

Or how about parking tickets with a disclaimer at the bottom...

***If you're black, please disregard this citation and accept our most sincere apologies***

You really think this is just about parking tickets??
Walking in Ferguson: If you're black, it's often against the law

Among the civil-rights violations alleged in a scathing Justice Department report on police in this St. Louis suburb, is one that African American residents say has long plagued them: “Manner of walking along roadway.”

The innocuous municipal code requires pedestrians to walk on the sidewalks or close to the side of the road whenever possible. Its intent is to make sure people don’t block a road.

But according to the federal report, police have routinely used the law for another purpose — to fine and harass blacks. African Americans accounted for 95% of manner of walking along roadway charges from 2011 to 2013, according to the report.

“We called it walking black,” said Kevin Seltzer, 30. “You would leave out of your house to go to the store and might not make it back.”
www.latimes.com...=1

Klik the link for more or better yet go to the original link on pg1..I wanted to focus on the financial incentives for targeting AAs especially in that community but there is a bunch of other s!!t involved.
Manner of walking is a fuc-wit
edit on 10-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

You really think this is just about parking tickets??
Walking in Ferguson: If you're black, it's often against the law

Of course it's not just about parking tickets, but that's the example you used in your OP, so that's the one I addressed... and since you obviously don't have a rebuttal, I'll move on to your next example...

Among the civil-rights violations alleged in a scathing Justice Department report on police in this St. Louis suburb, is one that African American residents say has long plagued them: “Manner of walking along roadway.”

The innocuous municipal code requires pedestrians to walk on the sidewalks or close to the side of the road whenever possible. Its intent is to make sure people don’t block a road.

But according to the federal report, police have routinely used the law for another purpose — to fine and harass blacks. African Americans accounted for 95% of manner of walking along roadway charges from 2011 to 2013, according to the report.

After things started to simmer down in Ferguson, I decided to go check it out for myself. I actually got the chance to witness this "Manner of walking along roadway" with my own eyes. There's a perfectly fine sidewalk running down both sides of Florissant St. all the way to the town of Florissant itself. Yet I'll be damned if there wasn't a black guy with his headphones on walking in the street about 2 feet from the curb staring at his phone without a care in the world.

Florissant is a very busy street and there's only about a 3 foot median between the lane and the curb. I couldn't get over because there was a box truck in the lane next to me, so I had to slow down to about 5 miles an hour just to keep from hitting him with my mirror.

What's that all about because I really don't see it as anything other than being a freaking punk who's just daring somebody to hit him.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

More of an over all view of what's actually is taking place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join