It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there any businesses or corporations you will not do business with out of principle?.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Apple. - Shoddy, over priced products, that break at a glance, then, even though you bought the full extended warranty [ $100 ] they claim covers everything, it still costs $50 to get a screen fixed. My wife has had 4 IPads on which the screen has cracked. They fixed each one and sent it back, only for it to crack again within a couple of weeks. Each time, it took forever, talking to some one on the phone to get it all straightened out and for them to agree to fix it. Again. I tried and tried to get her not to buy them and after dealing with their "customer service" so many times, she's finally seen the light.

They make well designed products... Aesthetically at least. My girlfriend's $1500 Mac book she got for college died after only a couple of years, they told her it couldn't be repaired, so she had to get a new one. She was going to school for graphic design at a school that worshipped Apple, and one of the professors told me it was because Microsoft sued them because they used the same install disk and key for every computer they had, instead of purchasing keys for every computer... Of course Microsoft is going to do something about it.

Anyway, her new Mac book stopped working thanks to a botched update that was Apples fault after 3 months and she had to pay $50 for it to be fixed.

Plus there was the lawsuit over 'rectangular phones with rounded corners' crap.

So, yes. I avoid Apple myself.

Also, I try to avoid Walmart, we don't have many alternatives that aren't also large corporations anymore here. But, Walmart is also an hour drive one-way from where I live, so it's only a kind of "we're in the neighborhood and we need X" thing.

Another company I'm trying to avoid is Intel, but it's hard when they've basically become a monopoly over performance computing. I'm an AMD fan but they've practically stopped competing with Intel. Intel has always used very unfair business practices against AMD that even worked at keeping them from gaining market share back when they had processors that outperformed Intel.

Of course of you strangle your competition financially they will fall behind on R&D and get you back on the lead... By the looks of things, permanently.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
my biggest beefs with wal mart:
- i don't mind pajamas. but am all to happy to limit my exposure to pajamas while buying groceries. Especially stained pajamas

That's why I love WalMart! I can jump right out of bed and into the car! Stains and all! LOL!

Seriously, though, I don't so much boycott places as shop at the places I want to support. For me, that means local businesses. I will go to a local business if AT ALL possible before going to a chain. It's a matter of investing in my community.

Oh! I just thought of a possibility. I boycott things made in China. If I have to pay more or do without, most times I will.

For people who hold their nose and shop at WalMart because of the prices, that's just what they're counting on... And that's why you see so many undesirably-dressed citizens, etc. there.
edit on 3/7/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Most people I know refuse to do business with Wal-Mart unless forced to do so.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

that is my strategy. I buy local first, Texas second, US third

Since Wal Mart is an Arkansas company, they rank down the list from HEB, which is a Texas company. Besides...i LOVE HEB. Most of the folks who work there have worked for me in the past 10 years or so. I get treated very well, and greeted by name.

But my immersion blender broke. The only place i can get once of those in this town is at wal mart. So i concede what i must.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

We used to have a shop in the US called Fish n Chips, when I was a kid. My parents used to order from them. Not sure when they closed. I think that most of the fish and chips places in the US have gone- Long John Silvers is gone too, I think.

I boycott Walmart, any seed company that sells GMO seeds, any fast food chain (including places like Olive Garden, Applebees, etc.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   
But your fine with watching overblown hetrosextual kissing, what kind of freakozoid are you. You could nt think of a product you would boycott so you had to have a little gay bash. Probably the couch you sit on to watch your queer oops I'm mean square box was designed and made by wonderful gay people.a reply to: Metallicus

edit on 7-3-2015 by Cloudbuster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster

But your fine with watching overblown hetrosextual kissing

No, I don't like watching any PDAs and I never said I did, but it doesn't cause me to be grossed out like two men kissing. You made an assumption and it was wrong.

what kind of freakozoid are you.

The kind that is honest about how seeing two gay men kissing makes him feel...grossed out.

You could nt think of a product you would boycott so you had to have a little gay bash.

I challenge you to point out where I 'bashed gays' in my post. Hint: I didn't.

Probably the couch you sit on to watch your queer oops I'm mean square box was designed and made by wonderful gay people.

I really don't understand your above rant, but suffice it to say I like the show, but I simply can't stomach watching two men kissing and for that reason I won't watch it despite its other relative merits. They also have a clear pro-gay life style agenda and by watching the show I felt I was giving my tacit approval which made me uncomfortable.

I think you are the one who is intolerant and overly sensitive. I fully support equality and rights for gay citizens (I never said I didn't), but that doesn't mean I support the life style.

Some people have a visceral, negative response to two men kissing. It isn't a choice. I was born that way.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Bank of america, snapple, apple, Fubu, off brand ketchup, parliament cigarettes

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: HighFive

It was a big to-do when I bought my first non-Ford car: a Pontiac Vibe. They got super pissed when I brought up that it was only a rebranded Toyota Matrix. Since then I've had two Kias, a 2013 Forte and a 2014 Optima. My father-in-law works as a carhauler that delivers Fords to local dealers, he even says that the Kias are better cars than anything he delivers.

We have a 2012 Jeep Liberty too. But that thing is a lemon. We have just over 50k miles on it, it's been in the shop six times for issues with the transmission and transfer motor. Because of that being on record, it's pretty much worthless to trade in. Not sure I could ever buy an American car again. Overpriced pieces of crap, from my experience.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Although I have never eaten there and know nothing about the quality of their menu, we do, or did, have Long John Silvers.

Personally, I refuse to eat at McDonald's. their food is overpriced garbage in my opinion. Same for Sonic and you name the franchise pizza joint. I'd much rather spend a little more and have a decent meal at a locally operated restaurant. Problem is they are being forced out of business by these fast food crap eateries.

I garden and have 2 freezers full of quality non-GMO food. I'd rather go hungry for a few hours until I get back home before I eat the crap peddled by these crapola businesses.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMERICANCER
5. UPS. I was smoking a cigarette in my garage and the driver didnt know I was there and tossed the package like Tony Romo intentionally grounding.

Did your neighbor keep the contents of the package after he intercepted it?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

Not sure I could ever buy an American car again. Overpriced pieces of crap, from my experience.

Is your boycott of American car brands OR cars made in America by American workers?

For instance would you buy a Mazda 6 built in flat rock MI or Toyota Tundra built in Tennessee?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I have been let down again and again with Chevy. Ford has out performed, Chrysler until perhaps recently is/was crap.

I know Ford and many other s have plants all over the world so dont imply that you are in anyway more American...bunch of crap, although I do commiserate with the plight of Detroit workers, but again, that is because of the corporations selling out to cheap labor over seas.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

For the record I don't work at an assembly plant, jus thought that was a good example for this thread.
" businesses or corporations you will not do business with out of principal"

Thought it was cool cuz every other post, people don't like the company they are boycotting, these people do it to protect their jobs.

Personally I'm not really a car guy..

But I do know u can buy a Toyota Mazda VW and other foreign brands that are made in America.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

No offense intended, Ive been a little over the top all weekend

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Or a Kia built in Georgia? I don't care who builds it or where. It's just been my experience that the foreign cars are built to higher standards than the domestic manufacturers.

Also, Kia is non-union. Another plus in my book.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

It's just been my experience that the foreign cars are built to higher standards than the domestic manufacturers.

Very true. They will last longer.

Also, Kia is non-union. Another plus in my book.

This part is what I disagree with. Why should laborers not be able to organize and negotiate with their employers?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Given that fact that you only mentioned you disliked watching overblown gay kissing and did no mention about heterosexual kissing made me come to the conclusion that you were anti gay. How can you support gay rights but not life style. I apologise for calling you a freakozoid that was wrong of me. a reply to: Metallicus

edit on 7-3-2015 by Cloudbuster because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74 Con Agra. They're killing American family farms. Monsanto. They're obviously evil, and so big no one cares. Coors, because they're white supremacists. Wells Fargo, and if I have to explain that one, you obviously either live in Nicaragua or just haven't been paying attention.

I have an app for my phone that scans barcodes and lets me know when a product violates my boycott. Con Agra is especially prevalent, and my Coors boycott means no PBR or Blue Moon.

edit on 020152015k23112America/Chicagotham by Look2theSacredHeart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   

I'm not from the US but to this day I choose not to buy fuel from BP for what they did in the Gulf

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join