It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghan men wear Burqas in "Women's Rights" Protest

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
To live like those women would be like torture to me. I would feel like a prisoner. I couldn't imagine living such a hell as they do. Something has got to be done for those poor beautiful women. Kudos to these brave and wonderful men for standing up for them.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Way to go!

The women of Afghanistan kick butt anyway and it's great to see men supporting them. We all know stereotypes are just stereotypes and that the worst offenders get the most press anyway.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The presence of an English language translation included on the sign always makes me question the veracity of these Middle Eastern/foreign "protests." I don't want to be that jaded, but if someone is pressing for actual change within their own culture, why place a foreign language on the signs in the first place?

Because they understand that the news is world wide thanks to the net and they don't want people making up translations "like we support terrorism" for the people that don't understand their language.

Americans protesting crap don't march around with signs that have Chinese or Arabic translation on them... the signs are in English and (sometimes) Spanish depending entirely on the community the protest is happening in.

Because Americans thinks everyone speaks English. You know the old saying speak more than one language then you're European if you only speak one then you're an American.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
creatures trying to rip the veil want to lechery Afghan women and also seriously undermine health and beauty . if you are so smart, send their daughters into Afghanistan in a bikini if ​​they do not die from melanoma their skin from sun would be as boots

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I think this is great!

On a side note, was shopping with my 3 year old when we passed a Muslim couple, the woman in the burqa. My daughter got so excited and said, rather loudly, "she looks like a ninja! She's pretty!"

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Unrelated directly to the topic in the OP, but I guess more related to the content of the responses, what with all the "if they do it willingly, they must be brainwashed, etc".

I know many "western" women who wear the burqa/hijab out of choice, and very often in OPPOSITION to their parents wishes (and no, they're not married to oppressive husbands or any such thing), so I'm not sure such broad generalisations work here.

Also, as a side note, the major language in Afghanistan would be pashto, not arabic, and neither are Afghanis arabs.

edit on 16-3-2015 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Why are you trying to ruin Bashar's Bargain Burqa Emporium? Burqa providers have mouths to feed too, ya know?

edit on 16-3-2015 by IvanAstikov because: an "o" short

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I was just today thinking how bad 'multiculturalism' is fro oppressed women. It must be a nightmare. If a host country would stick to their rules and demand that everyone follow their culture to a reasonable point, learn the language and make sure that the laws of the land are there for everyone without fail, then these women would have a chance to come forward.

However as it is at the moment, it reminds me of that one victim by Jeffrey Dahmer, when brain damaged and slurring speech, the police let him go back with his assailant because Jeffrey said that they were a couple and the guy had too much to drink.

Meaning that if a muslim woman would dare to come out, all it takes is a whole community to say that these are their traditions and to go against them is racist. Therefore we have genital mutilations, sharia divorce and many other things under our radar and it is allowed to go on, because of 'culture'.

I know of families, where the woman doesn't speak any English [they often come from small villages], they are married off to their husbands who live here and never ever get to see or hear any laws of ours. hey are totally isolated. They don't know that there are women's shelters or social workers you could approach, because they live in a frightening bubble.

To call these unfortunate women 'stupid' hurts and shows that whoever wrote that has no actual knowledge about these people.
I had a muslim friend [male] who had to go 'missing' because of death threads against him regarding a girlfriend he dared having. He went to the police, he did absolutely everything that we expect, but nobody helped him [Can't do anything until there is actual harm done...etc.] He was ambushed and beaten to an inch of death. All of a sudden I lost contact and never heard from him again. I don't know if he is alive or dead.

If a MALE can be intimidated and hurt like that, how on earth do you expect a woman who is in a strange land to suddenly rip her burka off and shout 'freedom'. Unless she's suicidal?

What really needs to happen is that when they come into the country, women should get an 'induction', where they are told of their rights, they should be forced to go to language school [mainly to get them out of the house and meet others without husbands present and to be able to communicate their fears] and they should be given contact details of people who will listen to them.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
I was just today thinking how bad 'multiculturalism' is fro oppressed women. It must be a nightmare. If a host country would stick to their rules and demand that everyone follow their culture to a reasonable point, ...

Interesting point, in that I don't think it would work at all, and is a really bad identifier for inclusivity. What does "demanding that everyone follow their culture to reasonable point" even mean? What point? Who would define that?
If I mentioned that I don't care for cricket or football, or if I politely refuse if my friend invites me out for a pint, or if I say that I think the English concept of curry is a ridiculous perversion of culinary propriety, or if I want to celebrate diversity by wearing clothes that don't happen to be a shirt and trousers, would I suddenly be stripped of my Englishness?

"Culture" is not some monolithic, immutable thing, so setting up barriers based on someone's perception of it will only lead to witchhunts.

edit on 17-3-2015 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: babloyi

Set them both adrift in a dinghy in the middle of the Pacific and the difference between an Arab and an Afghan becomes indiscernible.

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: babloyi

I was just today thinking how bad 'multiculturalism' is fro oppressed women. It must be a nightmare. If a host country would stick to their rules and demand that everyone follow their culture to a reasonable point, ...

Interesting point, in that I don't think it would work at all, and is a really bad identifier for inclusivity. What does "demanding that everyone follow their culture to reasonable point" even mean? What point? Who would define that?
If I mentioned that I don't care for cricket or football, or if I politely refuse if my friend invites me out for a pint, or if I say that I think the English concept of curry is a ridiculous perversion of culinary propriety, or if I want to celebrate diversity by wearing clothes that don't happen to be a shirt and trousers, would I suddenly be stripped of my Englishness?

"Culture" is not some monolithic, immutable thing, so setting up barriers based on someone's perception of it will only lead to witchhunts.

Yes, gladly. I am not the bad guy here. But a host country is like your own home, when someone comes to live with you, you expect a certain degree of polite integration. You don't just open the door, let anyone come in do what they like and accept it.
The same with a country. The minimum is to be able to speak your language [for their sake mainly, so they can understand the laws and perks of the country] and the other is to accept OUR customs as a guest. Doesn't mean they have to become like us but to accept and not segregate themselves so much that they could be in any arbitrary country yet still live in their own.

I have the feeling you didn't read what I said and just picked one sentence, to out me as a 'racist' or something like that. I had enough of this liberal fascism which seems to deliberately misunderstand anything people say only to pick on minute details. I answered your question, if you have any more read my original post and you may understand that I was speaking FOR foreign oppressed women, not against them.

It is this PC fear which has made it impossible for muslim women to get any help or support because you believe that 'they should be left to their customs'. Please read all of my post without your 'what could be racist about this?' attitude and you'll understand [hopefully].

posted on Mar, 17 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Yes, gladly. I am not the bad guy here. But a host country is like your own home, when someone comes to live with you, you expect a certain degree of polite integration. You don't just open the door, let anyone come in do what they like and accept it.

I'm not sure I understand. Is your "Yes gladly" a response to my question if I'd be stripped of my englishness? I'm sorry to tell you, but I'm as english as the next person, despite probably doing/believing the things I mentioned. None of those define Englishness or English culture. English culture, as I said isn't some monolithic, immutable thing, it constantly changes and morphs and develops and evolves, and that is a GOOD thing.
Definitely not pointing any fingers at you now, but it is interesting that you used the word "racist" here, because despite the constant refrain of some people that "Religion is not a race!", their opposition to Islam DEFINITELY takes a very race-centric perspective, as if not knowing that there are tonnes of native born english muslims.

The same with a country. The minimum is to be able to speak your language [for their sake mainly, so they can understand the laws and perks of the country] and the other is to accept OUR customs as a guest. Doesn't mean they have to become like us but to accept and not segregate themselves so much that they could be in any arbitrary country yet still live in their own.

Depends on the country, if you ask me. For England perhaps I agree with you, but then you have countries like the US, which don't have any official language, so requiring immigrants to conform to one is hugely unfair, especially since, again, there are many native born residents who don't speak english at all (and speak Spanish instead).

I have the feeling you didn't read what I said and just picked one sentence, to out me as a 'racist' or something like that. I had enough of this liberal fascism which seems to deliberately misunderstand anything people say only to pick on minute details. I answered your question, if you have any more read my original post and you may understand that I was speaking FOR foreign oppressed women, not against them.

I'm very sorry, I suppose it is a bias on my side, but when people start using words like "liberal fascism" or "cultural marxism" or such, an image forms in my mind of that person. I am trying to stop this bad habit, but it is very hard for me, especially since so often the person ends up fitting this image so well.
I did read all your post, but it was sweeping generalisations combined with anecdotal stories. The latter are unaddressable, thus irrelevant to me, so I only focused on the former.

a reply to: IvanAstikov

originally posted by: IvanAstikov
Set them both adrift in a dinghy in the middle of the Pacific and the difference between an Arab and an Afghan becomes indiscernible.

As with any human being. I'm not sure I understand your point either.
edit on 17-3-2015 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join