It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Exceptional tomb of Celtic prince' found in France :

page: 1

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

An "exceptional" tomb from the 5th Century BC likely to be that of a Celtic prince has been unearthed on the outskirts of Lavau in France's Champagne region. Handle of a bronze cauldron representating the Greek God Achelous The grave containing Greek and possibly Etruscan artefacts was discovered in a business zone, the National Archaeological Research Institute (Inrap) said. Researchers believe it could shed light on Iron Age European trade. Finds include a bronze wine cauldron. Aerial view of a large moat surrounding a tumulus dated to the beginning of the 5th century BC A team from Inrap has been excavating the site since October last year, and have dated it to the end of the First Iron Age - a period characterised by the widespread use of the metal. The burial mound, 40m (130ft) across, has at its heart a 14 sq m (150 sq ft) burial chamber. The deceased and his chariot are in the burial chamber.

Read more at: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.jp...
Follow us: @ArchaeoNewsNet on Twitter | groups/thearchaeologynewsnetwork/ on Facebook

Guys I tell ya Im in love with this Blog above, they also have a great article on a newly found Kushi-te cemetery but I already posted one Nile valley find already so someone else pls go for it,look at the detail of the pcs above though,even encrusted with green stuff is a thing of beauty. and excuse my ignorance but I had never heard of a Greek God called Achelous,will have to look-up this horny one, is he another form of Pan??.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I believe he was the main river diety and his worship was rather common. I'll investigate further.

a reply to: Spider879

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Nice spider,
I will read further.
The crafstanship on the piece in the photo is awsome.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Thanks Punkinworks, the blog goes on to say

The 5th and 6th Century BC were characterised by the rise of Etruscan and Greek city states like Marseille in southern France. Mediterranean merchants, seeking slaves, metals and other precious goods, opened trading channels with continental Celts.

Read more at: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.jp...

So I am wondering if this Celtic prince was a client of the Etruscan/Greeks or these were just trade goods,mind you nothing in the article mentioned anything about the political situation,this just me thinking out loud.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Awesome! I'm going to have that design made into a garden gnome. Or maybe it's better suited as a door knocker...?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Awesome! I'm going to have that design made into a garden gnome. Or maybe it's better suited as a door knocker...?

I say go for the door knocker, keep the green stuff on it I think it lends character..

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Its not as if these Celts were isolated. There were Celt tribes living all over Italy and in Greece at this time. Celts were in control of Northern Italy, for example, during the time of the shift of power between the Etruscans and Romans.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Its not as if these Celts were isolated. There were Celt tribes living all over Italy and in Greece at this time. Celts were in control of Northern Italy, for example, during the time of the shift of power between the Etruscans and Romans.

Ok thanks my image of them at that era needs reviewing then , were they were hanging out in Greece as independent tribes or part of the Greek society.
edit on 7-3-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Very cool. There is so much cool news out there I really need an extra few hours a day and to win the lottery to so I wouldn't have to work just to keep up with it all. Love the artistry.

S&F!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Large tribe living in Greece. In fact hard to distinguish sometimes. Celts from France ended up coming down at some point and just sacked the place. Took tons of gold back to France out of Greece. Romans ended up with most of that gold years later when they defeated the French Celts/Gauls. The relationship between the Etruscans and Celts was very close.

Rome in fact arose in the face of the Celtic empire of Europe. The Celts and Romans were having problems before the Romans had ever been more than a city state. Rome spent probably 75% of its war efforts over the life of its empire fighting Celts.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Large tribe living in Greece. In fact hard to distinguish sometimes. Celts from France ended up coming down at some point and just sacked the place. Took tons of gold back to France out of Greece. Romans ended up with most of that gold years later when they defeated the French Celts/Gauls. The relationship between the Etruscans and Celts was very close.

Rome in fact arose in the face of the Celtic empire of Europe. The Celts and Romans were having problems before the Romans had ever been more than a city state. Rome spent probably 75% of its war efforts over the life of its empire fighting Celts.

Thanks Log much props..my lack of knowledge about this era before the rise of Rome and emergent Greece really shone through lol..Spider learnt a lil something today.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879 Just researched this topic a year ago myself. That is the Celts in Southern Europe and their relationship with the "classical" cultural centers. Lets just say that history is not Celtic centered. LOL

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

They had an entire province named after them... 'Galatia' (Gauls = Celts).
If you've ever read the Bible, the book of Galatians was written to these very people, who had embraced Christianity, but were being drawn back to their idolatrous roots, and seduced by Jewish believers who wanted them to adhere to Hebraic law.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Awen24

They had an entire province named after them... 'Galatia' (Gauls = Celts).
If you've ever read the Bible, Galatians was written to these very people, who had embraced Christianity, but were being drawn back to their idolatrous roots, and seduced by Jewish believers who wanted them to adhere to Hebraic law.

Wow! so this idea that they were on the fringes of the so-called "civilized" world is truly off base and was nothing but ancient and modern propaganda , this is just as off based as the relationship between Kmt AkA Egypt and the southern polities up river from them..thanks

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Fantastic find Spider (as usual)!
That figurine has echos of the green man imagery, I would guess. I would really like to see an image of the cauldron too - I bet it's beautiful.

I can confirm that I spent many, many happy nights reading up on this with Logarock - he knows his stuff! And yes, the Celts were most definitely in charge, despite what we're taught about them. Spain, France, Britain, the Baltic states - most of western Europe, really. The idea that the Scots (as opposed to the Picts) came from Scythia has so much merit that it's hard to ignore. So a huge geography. For some reason the Romans took the credit for 'civilising' the West, but this is nonsense.

Propaganda, exactly as you say. S&F for exposing the hype!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

And another thing...that blog! Good find, I'm going to be reading for days.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Way to go, ancient Celtic bros. How many of us will have our grave referred to as "exceptional" 2400 years from now or at any time?

new topics

top topics

join