It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Is Closing Schools On Muslim Holidays for the First Time

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: johnwick

Majority rule never works out.
What about the minority people of black, gay etc If we followed the majority many would not have rights...just the white christian folk in the USA.

I am a broke poor white non religious male.

I have less rights than any illegal immigrant or minority.

Not one advocacy group represents me, not one single group will guarantee me a job or help me with college.

I am the most persecuted group in America, and you really expect me to give a single crap about any of these other groups that have gov funds and backing and advocacy groups?

I hope they all die or leave, then the gov can remember the majority they relegated to the back burners for 3 generations in favor of everyone else at all times.

The middle class died because the gov forgot about folks like me.

I served, I went to college, couldn't finish, not enough money, no poor white college funds, no very piir but white advocacy groups....they would be racist....I mean I am white, I have the world handed to me, so what if I tested off the charts in math science and reading comprehension and retention, I am white.

Stop pandering to all these fringe groups, pay attention to the talent you are obviously wasting!!!!

Too much to ask, I am white, the world was handed to at birth.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I hope they lose faith or die.

From you John sure sounds like one of your wishes is death to them..even If it is a humane death.
Don't try to backtrack now....

Why would i?

I want them rational or dead!

You act like I should apologize.

Instead I demand one from them.

They can be rational and be reasoned with on a rational logical level, or they can die.

I will not convert at any point, if that is their sole requirement as has been shown to be true they fan all die.

Womem kids dogs goats.....I won't even feel bad or morne a single one.

Humanity is better off without them period!!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

SO I guess any faith can have its day off, kind of like it is ANYWAYS. Why even exert this much social stress on Muslims? They can just take off like anyone else and say it was for religious observance. Church and state, religion and public schools dont mix remember. Let kids have spirituality on a personal level by not interfering instead of making token gestures to the new "progressive" object of fancy.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

SO I guess any faith can have its day off, kind of like it is ANYWAYS. Why even exert this much social stress on Muslims? They can just take off like anyone else and say it was for religious observance. Church and state, religion and public schools dont mix remember. Let kids have spirituality on a personal level by not interfering instead of making token gestures to the new "progressive" object of fancy.

I agree, Islam is the new leftist baby.

It is desturbing how they only champion things that tear down traditional American values.....

Why is that?

I mean it isn't like these values helped make us the dominate force on the entire planet or something.....

It is t lime our culture has proven itself dominate by factors or something.....

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Okay...found this.

New York City Hindus Hope Muslim Holidays In Public Schools Will ‘Pave The Way’ For Diwali

Hindus, maybe another eighth of the NYC population as near as I can tell, are now optimistic that Diwali will be included too.

I suppose i'm in the all or none camp on all this one, as far as days off go, leaning more toward none with something like a free "any two days of your choice off" pass. and then just the scheduled breaks.

But I also like that kids can share and be exposed to different cultures and religions too, which you don't need days off to accomplish on your own. Just make some friends and share.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Pretty much the way it is and that there is and has been for a very long time a provision for days off for religious observance that aren't covered otherwise.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Oh grow up, you spoiled whiny brats. If you can get a Christmas break (coinciding with a very Christian holiday) then Muslim kids can get a damn day for Ramadan. One DAY. Not 2 effing WEEKS like you spoiled prissies get by default.

Jesus, the entitlement complex is strong with you. Only CHRISTIANS get a day weaseled in, no one else. Bite me, play fair or everyone goes to school the entire winter -- you & your ilk included.

Edit:
The logical way to incorporate religious holidays into public school schedules would be to sign up for a particular religion's holidays as an observer of them. Christian? Ok, you get Christmas, Easter Monday off. Jewish? Yom Kippur, etc off. Muslim? Ramadan, etc off. Athiest? Tough ish, you get to go to school except for government holidays such as Labor Day, President's Day, Thanksgiving.

Suck it up. Instead of bitching & playing preferential treatment, try to hammer out a fair system that works for everyone.
edit on 3/7/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
I don't have any issue with this.

I feel that secular schools are finally recognizing that freedom OF religion means that all should be allowed.

I would support any recognition and every holiday.

Hell, make the school year "year long" to accomidate everyone.

I'm cool with that.

Faith any faith, should be recognized.

& there we have it...

A lot of separation of church and state rebuttals...
Understandable...

But no one is being forced to celebrate Eid...
So they are seperate...

However, freedom of religion, & no law to disregard the practice of...

Even if the holiday wasn't acknowledged, the religious could keep their children home...
& truancy laws would be null and void anyways...
Because that would be an unconstitutional law to hinder the practice of ones religion.

So banning all religious holidays would be ineffective, because you couldn't punish a parent for letting their children skip school when your whole premise is to hinder the practice of religion...

People would have these days off no matter what.
& no law could be constitutionally enforced to make them not practice that holiday...

Other arguments have been quite specious.

It's 2 days on the calendar year...
Hardly going to interrupt the learning now is it.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: kitzik
a reply to: boymonkey74

I don't wish their death , but for perfection of civilization they better all lose faith.

Never have truer words of an infidel been spoken...

Civilisation is doing fine...
In fact it's never been better considering the planets population!

Salam!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Horsepucks.

Name specifically who you're referring to by the anonymous Left.

Name the supposed traditional values your mysterious Left is trying to overthrow?

Americans have always insisted on religious freedom and equality. For all religions, not just one. The trend toward religious theocracy on the part of certain politically-active Christian factions for the last 30 years is being reversed.

Lovers of the Constitution applaud such reversals.

The American economy, which featured a strong MIDDLE CLASS, is what allowed the US to create its world position (along with the copious natural resources of the North American continent.)

That MIDDLE CLASS has been basically destroyed by off-shoring, corporate welfare, and preferential treatment for the richest 1% of Americans, for the last 35 years or so. If we are in decline, this is the first place anyone should look!
edit on 8Sat, 07 Mar 2015 08:30:32 -060015p082015366 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I've always thought that taking the whole summer off was stupid, stupid, stupid. Maybe it started because farmers needed their kids home to help in the fields? Anyway, I think school should be year-round with short breaks throughout. Those breaks could be planned around ALL MAJOR religions' holidays - just the big ones. I'm thinking two major holidays per religion. Then, don't call them religious holidays - just call them breaks. That way, every major religion gets its equal time, but you have "breaks" instead of "holidays", which solves the separation of church and state thing.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I don't have a problem with this, but if a school system(s) is going to recognize religious holidays then where's the "separation"?

As long as the school doesn't show preference to one religion over another, separation is intact. My position is, and has always been, if they're going to give nods to one religion (mostly Christianity here in the US), as long as they give the same treatment to other religions, I'm good with that.

And after reading some of your other posts, I see we agree! Imagine that.

edit on 3/7/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

If there were truly separation of Church and State, there would be no Federal, state or local government endorsement of any religious holiday, there should be provisions to have PTO or leave without pay which one can use to observe such faith specific beliefs but even that would mean any company would be forced to buy into it as well which would probably not be legally enforceable, this would put an end to the debate and take it out of any governments hands at least but again private company's would have to decide, we know the founders were secular leaning and the made up notion that the country was founded on the faith of Christianity is also false.

There is more evidence of the chasm when one looks at the formation of the Anglican Church, their division with Catholicism and also the protestant rejection of those views , many of the founding peoples were of many different beliefs and attitudes.

All this does is create even more of a platform for bigots and others to grandstand on to continue to make division, not togetherness like some others seem to think these religious endorsements by a taxpayer funded government are creating, then shoving them down everyone's throat, when religion the last time I checked is a personal choice and is based on a personal will to have a relationship with any deity representing their faith.

This is a clear sign that the force behind conjoining church and state is not derived from any real basis on the constitution, even though we know religious freedom is embedded, these actions would mean all people would eventually have to be subjected to every religion's holiday observations, not just Christian and Muslim, this is a slippery slope towards a huge ball of confusion and controversy , there is especially a real basis now for minority religions to bring suits, complain and make cases as to why the state is not creating holidays or closing schools on their specific faith's holiday observances....

What would make their religion any different from any of the others that are gaining influence and political capital?
edit on 7-3-2015 by phinubian because: addding info

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah
Seems to me they are trying to hammer out a fair system for everybody.

Good intentions, bad execution. Someone is always going to feel slighted or left out. Which is exactly why I lean toward the none option. I believe the intent of the separation of religion and state was meant to keep us out of exactly this kind of situation.

a reply to: phinubian
Exaclty. We make things harder on ourselves, don't we?
edit on 3/7/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It's not we, it's them who make it harder for the rest of us, the them are those that understand how to use differences to divide "the we".

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Sure and is sad the Hindu kids dont get their holiday.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I've always thought that taking the whole summer off was stupid, stupid, stupid. Maybe it started because farmers needed their kids home to help in the fields? Anyway, I think school should be year-round with short breaks throughout. Those breaks could be planned around ALL MAJOR religions' holidays - just the big ones. I'm thinking two major holidays per religion. Then, don't call them religious holidays - just call them breaks. That way, every major religion gets its equal time, but you have "breaks" instead of "holidays", which solves the separation of church and state thing.

I was thinking about that the other day. Winter weather is usually bad too so makes sense to have off from december to march.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Incredible, muslim radicals cause the death of thousands during 9/11 and the best way to commemorate their killing spree is to cater to their needs in NY.

Hell I wonder what will be given to them the next time they kill more Americans in one single day and one state.

Saharia law !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they now own NY.

Murder and conquest, is now rewarded in America.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harvin
Sure and is sad the Hindu kids dont get their holiday.

I agree...
Solution don't give any religious holidays out.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

How does this even make sense to you?

Seriously, 911 was done by radicals, not ever single muslim person.

And if is the step be for sharia law then we have had a Catholic/christian theocracy for a while

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join