It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Is Closing Schools On Muslim Holidays for the First Time

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
They are not celebrating every islmaic holiday, just two important ones.

Just like kids get good friday off and you know they would get easter off too if it didn't fall on a sunday.

I get the whole double standard point, but the other side of that coin is that same people arguing against the separation of the religious connotations of the winter and spring break, and we all know where and why those started as they so happen to occur around to major holidays in a certain religion, are the ones against this. Seems like arguing a double standard with a double standard
So fine, call it Christmas and Easter break, let these days happen and everyone is happy.
edit on thSat, 07 Mar 2015 01:16:00 -0600America/Chicago320150080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thSat, 07 Mar 2015 01:18:43 -0600America/Chicago320154380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I didn't realize that I was in charge of the world.

(I would have appreciated some advance notice)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Fine, don't answer.
I never said you were in charge of the world, not even close.
And I am the smart ass.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Allow me to reiterate.

Either make it equal to all or equal to none.

I see no problem with this, as the OP presented it.

It's a first step (I hope) to allowing freedom of ALL religions to be respected.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I personally sent you the memo last Thursday so don't play that you didn't know crap.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Yes I get that point of yours, we can agree there.
But then you went on about it being unequal, and that is the part I was questioned.

edit on thSat, 07 Mar 2015 01:25:16 -0600America/Chicago320151680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: beezzer

I personally sent you the memo last Thursday so don't play that you didn't know crap.

I was out of the office. Sandra was supposed to send me anything critical.

But I think she took her religious estrogen holiday off.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Yes I get that point of yours, we can agree there.
But then you went on about it being unequal, and that is the part I was questioned.

I can only hope that it is equal and that all religions are respected.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

If it was equal then Mayor DaBlah would have included Diwali like the Hindus requested but we're snubbed, do you call that equal?

edit on 7-3-2015 by thesaneone because: Wrong title

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Just like it was before this decision right?

What was so equal before they decided to do this?

Fine, add more if that is the only issue here, but it seems like we are dancing around a bush with an elephant in it.
edit on thSat, 07 Mar 2015 01:36:07 -0600America/Chicago320150780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

My guess would be if they use Muslim symbology and if they are allowed to openly discuss the holiday, return that capability to the Christian holidays and expand it to the other religions that are not celebrated.

Or I could be way off.
edit on 7-3-2015 by Irishhaf because: forgot a word

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

But is that what is happening?

Or are they just giving kids the day off in accordance of a religious holiday?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

No idea.. Just a guess.

I know many places have removed all symbolism of the Christian holidays and changed the names to "not offend" people.

If they are just giving them a day off no biggie, if they are "educating" students about the holidays, No... No...No.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Just like it was before this decision right?

What was so equal before they decided to do this?

Fine, add more if that is the only issue here, but it seems like we are dancing around a bush with an elephant in it.

Personally?

I think your disappointed that we (ugly Christians) aren't upset by this.

I think that you expected us to say, "Er, dang muzlems, aint got no rights to no freedoms! Gimme mah gun! Ahm gonna shewt sumbuddy!"

Sorry for that.

I do honestly respect all people of faith.

As long as it doesn't ever infringe on the rights of others.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Or maybe the parents should enroll their kids into a private school of their choosing and keep public schools free from any religious holidays like it should be this way nobody can be offended.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

No I would be glad if no one took issue with this.

Just failing to understand what about this is unequal unless I just misread that when you said it.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'll insert my 2 cents here:

While I have no particular love of Islam, I don't see this as a big deal. And from what other people have said, NY has also made accommodations for Jewish holidays which, to be honest, shocked the hell out of me. But having said all of that, I also think that since they (NYC) has this unique problem, they should come up with a unique solution. If they follow this trend, then kids are gonna be in school less and less when they make accommodations for every religion. Again, not that that is a bad thing. Here is what I came up with after thinking on it for a little while:

Have a typical school schedule from Augustish (at least that's when I normally started) to June. Since a majority of students will be pulled out of school around Christmas time anyway (yes, a majority of students are Christian, suck it up!), keep Winter break as it is (roughly the week before Christmas until roughly the week after New Years) because again, a majority of students, WHETHER THEY SUBSCRIBE TO CHRISTIANITY OR NOT are GOING to be pulled out anyway; and simply allow students (their parents) who are of a 'minority' religion to opt them out of school for their given holidays. So for example, according to Eid al-Fitr is going to take place on September 24 this year, so maybe the day before,of and after. What NYC could do is instead of taking yet another day of schooling away from all of the other students, Muslim students could be taken out of school those days and could make up the schooling when all the other students are going to be away. This could be repeated for any other Muslim holidays or any other religious holidays.

I don't know, again, I have no problem with them allowing kids out to observe religious holidays, but from what it sounds like NY kids are getting cut out of more and more schooling, in addition to all of their snow days that NY gets, it seems as if kids are going to be losing out on more and more schools. I think that they should simply allow students to make up time their religion takes.

Feel free to flame the ideas, but it was something I came up with in like five minutes. My main goal is to make sure students get as much schooling as possible.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   

No I would be glad if no one took issue with this.

Just failing to understand what about this is unequal unless I just misread that when you said it.

It will remain unequal until all religions are respected and recognized.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Sharia Law !!!

It's coming true !!!

Pretty good vote catcher too.

Unfortunately I agree, next it will be sharia courts upholding bs Muslim crap asxactual law.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

ALL religions should be respected.

Period.

There should never be an issue until said religion impacts the freedom of others.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join