It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Could Move Anywhere In The USA Where Would It Be, And Why?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Another Hawaii vote.

Big Island. Puna District maybe.

I hate cold weather. I love Hawaii's weather. My biggest reason is gardening. I would have such an amazing garden. Could grow all my chili plants perennially. That would be so sweet.

Ideally if I moved there I wouldn't need a job there, as my income would be from one of my web applications

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Been looking at this hard lately. Choices (in order) Alabama, Texas, Colorado, with Washington State a distant fourth. Will most likely spend three years in DC and then retire.

ETA: Why? Freedoms most appropriate to my lifestyle.

Can you give us an idea of why those four rank high in freedom (apart from pot being legal in two of them)?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
Just curious as to where people would relocate to and why they'd pick that area. I'm not so much into knowing WHY you'd want to relocate, if that make sense.

Well, I'm already located where I want to be, so... There are a very few other places I'd be open to moving to, but none of them are in the United States. I've seen what I wish to see of the Lower 48 and, frankly, I'd feel like I was taking a giant step backward to move there, so in AK I will stay.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I would move back to California in a heart beat.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: Snarl
Been looking at this hard lately. Choices (in order) Alabama, Texas, Colorado, with Washington State a distant fourth. Will most likely spend three years in DC and then retire.

ETA: Why? Freedoms most appropriate to my lifestyle.

Can you give us an idea of why those four rank high in freedom (apart from pot being legal in two of them)?

Sure. I'm strongly conservative, and I really enjoy making use of the firearms I've invested in. Those four states allow for what I want to do in retirement and give me much to think about in terms of lifestyle. I didn't even consider MJ in the equation.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
I would stay right here in Colorado. The mile high city, the capitol of the NWO. Safe from coastal flooding and lots of mountains around for hunting and survival. Oh, and marijuana is legal here.
ETA: 300 days of sunshine a year here as well.

Good to know that, about the weather.

CO is on the short list...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Canada.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:22 AM
link   

a reply to: lovebeck

You haven't mentioned whether you're married or single and looking, straight or gay, have kids (what age?), like city life or rural life near a city, like a hot climate a cold climate or something in between, and what your hobbies are.

Doesn't really matter but, I am married...to a man. I love photography, being outside, and warm weather. We have no young kids (our one and only is on her own) and we're both still pretty young with plenty of life left in us.

I have family that has lived in Hawaii...Both have said it is a wonderful place to visit.

We are looking for a place that has warm weather, at least a milder climate compared to what we have where we live now. So no thank you to MI's UP. Been there though and it is ABSOLUTELY beautiful!

Arizona, New Mexico, Cali, and Colorado seem to be the four we are looking at.

May take another look at the PNW as well...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Just wondering, was it the job that took you there or did you research the area and decide to look for work there? I've often thought that would be a lovely area to live in.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It would depend a lot on the climate.

I've always fancied the New England states but it does get chilly in winter. And snowbound. I suppose I could hibernate.

Defo not California, Texas, Florida, and so on.

Too hot for me.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
It would depend a lot on the climate.

I've always fancied the New England states but it does get chilly in winter. And snowbound. I suppose I could hibernate.

Defo not California, Texas, Florida, and so on.

Too hot for me.

I live up here- hibernation isn't an option unless you're wealthy. Us lower class folk have to get up and go to work- even if it did just snow 18", and is -5F...
Got to get to work, make someone else wealthy, and pay those insane property taxes.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Hawaii or Colorado!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: cleverhans
It really depends on what type of weather and terrain you like, and how close you need to be to civilization. I'm a mountain lover myself and prefer cooler weather. My first choice would be somewhere in the Rockies (maybe colorado, utah, or wyoming), next choice would be the Pacific northwest.

I've noticed a difference in "vibe" between mountain communities and communities on the water, the latter being far more laid-back. Have you noticed this?

For the most part yeah, in the northwest but also along the gulf coast - some of the most laid back I've come across were in south Louisiana. But there are a few laid back mountain communities I've seen, Boulder comes to mind, where the ski bums enjoy the new marijuana laws

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Galadriel

It was a bit of both and also neither if that makes any sense. As I said my job is literally everywhere. I focused on locations that had medical marijuana as a minimum standard because my wife really needs it. I ended up looking in Maine, Colorado, and Washington. Maine was really my first choice because it's where I grew up and spent most of my life, but it's expensive and there are just no jobs. Washington ended up as a nice alternative because there is no state tax, but there is lots of cheap land if you look hard enough.

It's hard to describe my method when I was looking for work. It was a combination of location and pay. I'm a health inspector. There are literally jobs everywhere, in every county in the whole US, so I focused on states I wanted to be. I assessed each location as I found open positions. When I accepted this position I also had interviews scheduled with Eagle, Colorado and Tacoma-Pierce, Washington. I was really looking for as rural as possible. They offered me a position here with a much lower pay than I wanted with the caveat that they would look to get approval for a pay upgrade to match my experience. I cancelled my other interviews because I would have accepted the position here, even at a lower pay grade, even if the other locations offered me positions.

I was fortunate that my work is everywhere because it allowed me to look in areas that have, typically, no job opportunity. Even so I was very lucky to find an open position in a very small health department. So the answer is yes to both questions. It was the job that took me here and also the research on the area. Even though my last 6 years of work in Florida were a terrible experience it gave me the experience to pick the location of my job. I consider myself incredibly fortunate. I fell into this line of work ass over teakettle and it really is a universal position. There are very few locations where my job doesn't exist.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Interesting, 1 would pick Hawaii

The weather is nice and if need you can motor boat-row-paddle or swim to the sub or uso...

edit on 3/7/15 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Right back to the beautiful Northern Nevada High Desert.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Texas, because texans and Texas are kick ass-

Upstate New York, because it too is kick ass-

Massachusetts, I like the land, though there are some serious racists there-

Boston, Because I like the people-

Colorado, Because I like their....stuff-

San Francisco, everyone says its great....wouldnt mind seeing if thats so.

edit on 3 7 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
San Fransisco. At least 8 Niners home games a year. And some Raiders games when they are out of town.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
I would stay right here in Colorado. The mile high city, the capitol of the NWO. Safe from coastal flooding and lots of mountains around for hunting and survival. Oh, and marijuana is legal here.
ETA: 300 days of sunshine a year here as well.

I looked into Colorado a little more today.

Do you know much about the Pueblo, Colorado area?

Does it get really cold there in the winter? I am REALLY over cold weather...It has been cold here since October and there is no end in sight. Maybe some days in the 40's and 50's coming up, but we will see.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
After doing even more research today, me and the hubs are going to try to take a trip to Colorado in April...

Praying I can get my shifts covered so we can take advantage of the $39 airfare (each way, $156 for both, RT!) I found today!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join