It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Have Discovered Another Earth With Probable Life!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

SETI disagrees: www.seti.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The information about this planet is tantamount to this:

If you have some binoculars and you spot a tree on the horizon, you ask yourself the question "Does it have fruit?". All you can make out is that it appears to be a tree. It's just another tree in a sea of trees on the horizon.

In other words, this is nothing more then sensationalism of the facts, which in fact are superfluous in this case. Right now we don't know any more about that planet then we do about a tree off on a distant horizon. The facts are superfluous because there is absolutely no guarantee or any higher probability for life bearing, because of an orbit around the sun. There are too many unaccountable factors to imply life-bearing, not to mention our generation will be long gone by the time we have the technology to detect such factors at that distance.

And frankly I find it quite appalling that you post a picture that sows deception. We don't have detailed images of the planet and yet your OP implies that we can already see an atmosphere.... Pretentious drivel and a disgrace to these forums /rant.
edit on 7-3-2015 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aedaeum
The information about this planet is tantamount to this:

If you have some binoculars and you spot a tree on the horizon, you ask yourself the question "Does it have fruit?". All you can make out is that it appears to be a tree. It's just another tree in a sea of trees on the horizon.

In other words, this is nothing more then sensationalism of the facts, which in fact are superfluous in this case. Right now we don't know any more about that planet then we do about a tree off on a distant horizon. The facts are superfluous because there is absolutely no guarantee or any higher probability for life bearing, because of an orbit around the sun. There are too many unaccountable factors to imply life-bearing, not to mention our generation will be long gone by the time we have the technology to detect such factors at that distance.

And frankly I find it quite appalling that you post a picture that sows deception. We don't have detailed images of the planet and yet your OP implies that we can already see an atmosphere.... Absolutely appalling and a disgrace to these forums /rant.

1000 stars.

It what I have been saying.

We only know we have found a rock the same size of earth 500 light years away.

Thats still a pretty big discovery in its own right but its certainty not proof of a earth twin.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

I don't see were the "probable" life comes in.

There are still many factors apart form being in the Goldilocks zones and being the right size.

Its a candidate for life. Sure enough.

But unless we get data on exact chemical composition of its atmosphere ect there no way to know.

It could just be a large barren rock, a volcanic hell hole or a irradiated mess.

I agree 100% and why is it depicted as having oceans and an atmosphere like Earths?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: criticalhit
I think it's funny to be mainly looking for "Earth Conditions" for life...

I have 50 bucks that says most life lives internally in worlds and derives energy from the core.

We are the whacky Monkey's riding on the outside of a spaceship, I bet when other life finds us they are shocked, with the acidic water and solar rays and incoming projectiles and tidal waves and moving crust and earth quakes and volcanoes all the Nitrogen lol and Oxygen eating away at everything...

Realistically we are probably horrifying and dangerous, spinning around a very active star hanging on a couple of miles from space immune to everything corrosive as all hell...

In reality we are probably more like the Aliens from the movie Alien to other Aliens

Thats the problem we only have life on earth to do comparison by.

Because we only know life that exists on earth we can only test for life that we know.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
It's far too early to call and we can't bring probability into the equation until we know more.

Finding a planet in the Goldilocks zone is a good start but that's all it is-a start. There are many other things to consider.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Had to double-check it, but since last model adjustment Mars is now right within solar habitable zone with the Earth riding the inner edge, just to put it into perspective.

My guess is that there will be more adjustments, with new data coming in. No need for premature excitement, just keep on looking.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: zatara

Yes,... and?

I do not know much about it so... enlighten us why it is a very wrong one.

Unless the planet in question is hellaciously volcanic, the surface temperature will scale as the inverse square of the distance from the star.

What do you see as being the source for "warming microwaves" that replace insolation?

Bleh you beat me too it by 1 minute,

Sorry that was probably my bad thanks for your contribution to the thread, and the selling of more popcorn. Those kernels explode from the inside out due to microwave radiation... hmm perhaps one day I'll cross reference that against something else at random.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

There are many factors to heat sources, like the energy generators they are concidering for mars based off of superconductivity. Recalling my professor in applied physical science, he said one of the big unknowns and why he personally believed in god was because there was no explanation for why once our planet started heating up life started to "bloom". I immediately raised my hand he looked surprised, I said well if you take a frozen steak out of the freezer and set it on the counter... as it warms up bacteria starts to form on it yes? He looked perturbed, but thankfully not biased as my final grades remained consistent.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: zatara

Yes,... and?

I do not know much about it so... enlighten us why it is a very wrong one.

Unless the planet in question is hellaciously volcanic, the surface temperature will scale as the inverse square of the distance from the star.

What do you see as being the source for "warming microwaves" that replace insolation?

Bleh you beat me too it by 1 minute,

Sorry that was probably my bad thanks for your contribution to the thread, and the selling of more popcorn. Those kernels explode from the inside out due to microwave radiation... hmm perhaps one day I'll cross reference that against something else at random.

I never said the sun doesn't produce Microwaves.

But the FACT is most the energy from the sun comes in the EM range of Infer red and Ultraviolet range.

There are small amounts of Gamma/X-ray and Microwaves and even radio waves but the majority is in the above spectrum.

linky
edit on 7-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It is a different planet from Gliese 581d promoted today on RT
rt.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Perhaps as quantum particle entanglement becomes clearer, we can learn hitch a ride to the other end of the photons that allowed us to see it in the first place.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

Why do you think so?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1Providence1

Further of not only the abundance of planets, but planets even similar to our own, at least on this surface level of discovery.

So much more awaits.

i believe the James Webb space telescope will help with our classifications of these exoplanets in the near future.

Care to share more information about the James Webb? Since we are long past the OT and exploring related?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Valontuoja

originally posted by: LeoStarchild
"Possible bipedal , Humanoid life".

We need to remember that life can come to be in any environment, even in the most extreme conditions. Life could take on many unique and even grotesque forms..

For me the important point here is that we are looking for Earth-like life that we can recognize as life.

Since we do not even scientifically know what kind of life is possible on the Earth it is like we are looking for 1% of the possible life forms in the universe.

I just like to remind everybody that we just don't even know what kind of life is possible in conditions exactly like Earth.

I read an article not too long ago about the possible acceptance of crystalline life forms as a possibility, if there are and they come here to invade because of wedding ring diamond abuse perhaps we can point them in the direction of that "diamond" planet we discovered. www.space.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: korath
Personally, I don't trust NASA . They find stuff light years away that nobody can see but them, but ask them for extreme close ups of the moon or put a spy satellite quality camera that can take pictures of your car from space on something going to mars and send back something beside blurry photos and it doesn't happen.

Well, unlike Star Trek the world is not unified... looking hopeful through a telescope while people are trying to destroy the world we are on is very distracting... the argument maybe logical, but highly irrational.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
50/50 chance of advance life acording to Hontas Farmer.
Seti already found signals

www.science20.com...

Yes indeed, if no one has started an in depth ATS thread on this, I would love to read it and hear thoughts and opinions. If there has been? can I haz a link?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
a reply to: Spacespider

SETI disagrees: www.seti.org...

Very nice... to see there is some collaboration going on, it also makes it very unlikely NASA would intentionally hide anything, so many employees between these research facilities, you'd think a Snowden with damning evidence and cred to back it up would have shown up by now... want to talk probabilities, there's one to point the finger at.

Of course this is where the level of civilizations Drake was eluding too would appear to find fault with Seti.
edit on 7-3-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000

I don't see were the "probable" life comes in.

There are still many factors apart form being in the Goldilocks zones and being the right size.

Its a candidate for life. Sure enough.

But unless we get data on exact chemical composition of its atmosphere ect there no way to know.

It could just be a large barren rock, a volcanic hell hole or a irradiated mess.

I agree 100% and why is it depicted as having oceans and an atmosphere like Earths?

Perhaps someone should direct this question to NASA? Whats with the artist renditions? Could look like mars

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
It's far too early to call and we can't bring probability into the equation until we know more.

Finding a planet in the Goldilocks zone is a good start but that's all it is-a start. There are many other things to consider.

I suppose the hang up is between possible and probable, to many that means the same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join