It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Have Discovered Another Earth With Probable Life!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
If we know the location of a higher probability (solely because they are in the Goldilocks Zone) can we point any technology at it say SETI and focus a search?

What about lasers or say this quantum radar type thing I read about on another thread, can these things search that far in the vacuum of space or would it require too much power. (Not sure what a laser would do except annoy some ET commercial pilot on approach to Los Eisley).

Can we beam and type of noise, just incase they happen to have a SETI. I know I am now in the realms of absolute implausibility but I do hope we make contact in my lifetime.

Imagine communication, 2 way, with another planet, it may refocus the whole world world from religious hatred to a new era of mass cooperation and a unified goal creating more technology faster than a war or the arms race.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
If we know the location of a higher probability (solely because they are in the Goldilocks Zone) can we point any technology at it say SETI and focus a search?

What about lasers or say this quantum radar type thing I read about on another thread, can these things search that far in the vacuum of space or would it require too much power. (Not sure what a laser would do except annoy some ET commercial pilot on approach to Los Eisley).

Can we beam and type of noise, just incase they happen to have a SETI. I know I am now in the realms of absolute implausibility but I do hope we make contact in my lifetime.

Imagine communication, 2 way, with another planet, it may refocus the whole world world from religious hatred to a new era of mass cooperation and a unified goal creating more technology faster than a war or the arms race.

At 500 light years any signal you send at it would take 500 years to reach and another 500 years to recieve a reply back.

Only realistic method to see if there is life it send up a telecope that can catch light bounceing off its atmosphere.
You can work out from light absobed what is in its atmosphere.

If there is life there should be markers.
Plant life should be pretty easy to pick up.
Intelligent life would makes markers that will light it up like a x-mass tree.

Single celled life may be a bit more difficult.

edit on 6-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
My spider senses are tingling.

oh look we found a planet that might support life.

oh look we just discovered a propulsion system to get us to said planet.

Hey! It already has a top secret US base on it.

No. according to astro thats not the planet they are going to i forgot which one the Rk's are to be heading to.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

You are awesome, dude

edit on 6-3-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I think it's more likely that we will be visited by another form of life before we discover the technology to visit one of these planets. That is, if we have not already secretly discovered such a possible technology.

With that being said, Imagining what is out there in the vastness of the Universe is so absolutely mind boggling though. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This is interesting! Yes, I admit that one way to find life is to find a planet as much like Earth as possible.

But I'll bet that life is abundant in our galaxy, even in other areas of our solar system, even areas not like Earth - the life would have just had to evolve differently to adapt to different circumstances.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Further of not only the abundance of planets, but planets even similar to our own, at least on this surface level of discovery.

So much more awaits.

i believe the James Webb space telescope will help with our classifications of these exoplanets in the near future.
edit on 6-3-2015 by 1Providence1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think it's funny to be mainly looking for "Earth Conditions" for life...

I have 50 bucks that says most life lives internally in worlds and derives energy from the core.

We are the whacky Monkey's riding on the outside of a spaceship, I bet when other life finds us they are shocked, with the acidic water and solar rays and incoming projectiles and tidal waves and moving crust and earth quakes and volcanoes all the Nitrogen lol and Oxygen eating away at everything...

Realistically we are probably horrifying and dangerous, spinning around a very active star hanging on a couple of miles from space immune to everything corrosive as all hell...

In reality we are probably more like the Aliens from the movie Alien to other Aliens

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
"Possible bipedal , Humanoid life".

We need to remember that life can come to be in any environment, even in the most extreme conditions. Life could take on many unique and even grotesque forms..

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: criticalhit

That's because (as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread) if we are going to search for life on a distant world by looking for life processes in the spectra of its atmosphere, the only life we know how to look for is "life as we know it".

Science fully understands that there in fact probably is lots of "life as we don't know it", but science has no idea how to test for that life. We may not know it even if we find it. Therefore, they look for the type of life that they could spot more easily, which is "life as we know it".

Could there be life that uses methane instead of water? Sure. However, scientists analyzing the spectra of an atmosphere where that sort of life thrives may not even be able to tell, because they don't understand the life processes of that type of life. They do, however, understand the life processes of our type of life, and they think they could spot those processes by analyzing the spectrum of an exoplanet atmosphere.

edit on 3/6/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeoStarchild

We need to remember that life can come to be in any environment, even in the most extreme conditions. Life could take on many unique and even grotesque forms..

Well yeah, look at our own planet. The difference between our air and water environments are huge, though they both have oxygen and H20. I do believe that for intelligent life to exist though, a star must be close by.

I myself always viewed the Ocean here on Earth like a vast Universe within itself. Many of the creatures resemble Alien like life forms that we human beings have imagined, as well as many land dwelling insect like my favorite, the Praying Mantis. If that is not an Alien like creature, I don't know what is. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

For me the important point here is that we are looking for Earth-like life that we can recognize as life.

Since we do not even scientifically know what kind of life is possible on the Earth it is like we are looking for 1% of the possible life forms in the universe.

I just like to remind everybody that we just don't even know what kind of life is possible in conditions exactly like Earth.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

To me, the most 'alien' like critter on earth is the lightning bug.

My son loves those things!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Personally, I don't trust NASA . They find stuff light years away that nobody can see but them, but ask them for extreme close ups of the moon or put a spy satellite quality camera that can take pictures of your car from space on something going to mars and send back something beside blurry photos and it doesn't happen.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

To me, the most 'alien' like critter on earth is the lightning bug.

My son loves those things!

That is a very good example as well! I agree my friend. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Has this been discovered 8 times before or am I just having a really hard time with Kepler designations?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: korath
Personally, I don't trust NASA . They find stuff light years away that nobody can see but them, but ask them for extreme close ups of the moon or put a spy satellite quality camera that can take pictures of your car from space on something going to mars and send back something beside blurry photos and it doesn't happen.

So you haven't heard about LRO and MRO spacecraft, then? They have taken very high-rez images of the Moon and Mars respectively, in some places down to 25 cm/pixel. In the images, you can see individual boulders, rovers, Apollo hardware on the Moon, and even astronauts' own footprints in the lunar soil.

www.lroc.asu.edu...
www.uahirise.org...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

The word 'probable' has several distinct meanings; the definition you quote offers three, which are at variance with one another. Which one should we pick? It depends on the context. I reckon meaning #3 is the one applicable. Anyone who picks #1 is a fool; do you take me for one?

edit on 7/3/15 by Astyanax because: well, do you?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:18 AM
link   
50/50 chance of advance life acording to Hontas Farmer.
Seti already found signals

www.science20.com...
edit on 7-3-2015 by Spacespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I do understand that many variables depends on how this planet evolves around this star. It could be just that this planet has al the ingredients for life but just to high gravity that we never been able to walk its surface.

However I somehow think that most planet's with almost the same or lower gravity are planets where beings have more potential to explore their environment better then planets with higher gravity forces and more air density. But that's is speculatively spoken of course. ..

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join