It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Have Discovered Another Earth With Probable Life!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Nah, youtube probably removed that video due to come copy right violation. The title of song is listed if you wanna look it up.

Thank you sir! some music would be an nice accompaniment.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: crazyewok

Do you feel it is improbable that these chemicals will be found on Kepler 186F?

They are common, at any rate, all over the Solar system. Here is a list of compounds that the Rosetta probe has detected in outgassing from Comet 67P/C-G, now that it's getting nearer the Sun and starting to emit volatiles:

Water
Carbon monoxide
Carbon dioxide
Ammonia
Methane
Methanol
Formaldehyde
Hydrogen sulphide
Hydrogen cyanide
Sulphur dioxide
Carbon disulphide

Fact is we don't know.

We only know about our solar system. And even then we are still far off from knowing everything.

At the end of the day we need a better telescope that can do spectrometry.

More data is needed , its as simple as that.

That's my opinion as a biologist. I don't know. I want more information.
edit on 6-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: crazyewok
Well the main one is you need the right mix of chemicals.

Am I the only one who thinks 67 percent less heat than Earth sounds like a huge difference from Earth? Sure if it has enough greenhouse gases to keep some water above the freezing temperature it could support some microbes, but it doesn't sound all that "earth-like". Even the Earth with three times the amount of heat spends a large portion of its life covered in glacial ice sheets, and there's some evidence the entire Earth "almost" may have been covered with ice in the past. We happen to be in an interglacial warm period now.

Considering the theory that all life evolved first from the ocean fueled by oceanic vents, you just shot yourself in the foot, especially with the olivine datum I provided

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Your crystal ball from Endor has some very special Omnipotent powers there to generalize "we" in such a fashion. 7+billion = minds blown. Perhaps revers engineering is in order for some nub nub,

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness

Your crystal ball from Endor has some very special Omnipotent powers there to generalize "we" in such a fashion. 7+billion = minds blown. Perhaps revers engineering is in order for some nub nub,

Im sorry but that is how science works.

You cant make assumptions based on limited data.

As "cool" as it would be to find life, the fact is no assumptions can or should be made about the latest discovery.

So forgive me wanting more data.

I'm not saying there is not life nor am I saying there is life. I don't know and until more information is found out no scientist worth there degree will make assumptions.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Fact is we don't know.

That is no reason to assume improbability. A lack of information does not increase improbability, it just makes the probability hard to compute.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Fact is we don't know.

That is no reason to assume improbability. A lack of information does not increase improbability, it just makes the probability hard to compute.

Nor is a lack of data a reason to assume probability.

"I dont know" is exactly that "I dont know".

I would say there is not a high or low probability until more data is found out.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

whenever i hear the constellation Cygnus in the news i think of this article:

viewzone.com...

also wasn't Cygnus the constellation the Dogon tribe of Mali in West Africa said had the binary star that took astronomers decades to confirm? they said it was told to them by the inhabitants of the planet when they came for a visit.

its when stuff comes full circle like this that gets me super excited. i don't believe in coincidence, so for THAT to conveniently be the constellation the we find the first exo-earth in has my spidey sense going wild

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Who said anything about high or low probability? Probability is probability, as the words of your own post cannot help but acknowledge by their mere syntax.

Enough hairsplitting. Life 'as we know it' is more probable on Kepler 186F than it would be on a hot Jupiter, etc. That, no doubt, is all the thread title means.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Who said anything about high or low probability?

The title of the op

link   

You can't lasso a we without an ass or gumption, the limited data is in your mind only... shame to speak for the rest. I eat 7 billion bowls of cereal daily with such talk, will your belly ever be full?

link   

Considering the theory that all life evolved first from the ocean fueled by oceanic vents, you just shot yourself in the foot, especially with the olivine datum I provided
Does Kepler 186f have an ocean? We don't know. We know Venus and Mars don't have oceans so there's no guarantee Kepler 186f has one. The oceanic vent origin of life is one plausible hypotheses, but it's not the only plausible hypothesis.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp
The Drake equation is concerned with the likelihood of human communication/interaction with intelligent life.
Even if they are close enough, are they now enough?

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarknessThank you for dumbing it down research it more so you can smart it up

'greencmp' actually makes a great point about the limitations of the Drake Equation.

The universe is almost 14 billion years old. A civilization may only last, say, 1 million years before they go extinct for one reason or another (whether through natural causes, "civilization old age", or by their own doing). That means that thousands and thousands of ET civilizations could have existed -- but don't anymore. The number of civilizations that exist right now, and exist close enough to us to even notice us (i.e., in our galaxy), and have the ability to be able to contact us maybe be a very small number.

Having said that, I think that life in general may ubiquitous in the galaxy, and there's a great possibility of life elsewhere even in our own solar system -- e.g., in the sub-surface seas of Enceladus, the methane lakes of Titan, under the surface of Mars, the sub-surface oceans of Europa, in the clouds of Venus, etc.

edit on 3/6/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

It says 'probable life'. It doesn't say high or low.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

whenever i hear the constellation Cygnus in the news i think of this article:

viewzone.com...

also wasn't Cygnus the constellation the Dogon tribe of Mali in West Africa said had the binary star that took astronomers decades to confirm? they said it was told to them by the inhabitants of the planet when they came for a visit.

its when stuff comes full circle like this that gets me super excited. i don't believe in coincidence, so for THAT to conveniently be the constellation the we find the first exo-earth in has my spidey sense going wild

Very nice, I will have a look when not covering 3 threads
book marked... ah yes binary stars, and binary meteorites passing through. If not for seeing the moon for all the fingers then perhaps light would shine from the darkness, sava!
edit on 6-3-2015 by BigBrotherDarkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

a the limited data is in your mind only...

Erm so your saying g you have more data than what provided then?

You have spectrometry of the atmosphere?

Please show?

Unless you can there is limited data.

All we know is there is a planet and its similar to earth.

No proof of life either way.

Or are you one of these people that are only happy when you are told things you want to hear?

Ok then based on magical data pulled from my arse there is a 10000% probability of little green aliens living on this planet and next week they will appear on earth and and save us all with magical fart powered technology, better?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

10000%

Please show the possibility of this and I will agree.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

10000%

Please show the possibility of this and I will agree.

It appears sarcasm is lost on you.

your the one saying there is a high probability of life.

If so you show me the evidence.

Until then there is no evidence either way.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Who said anything about high or low probability?

The title of the op

I believe your lack of comprehension is at fault evidence for this? your usage of percents beyond 100%

Blanket, comforter, duvet... probability is only limited by you. Please see the post by BLACK DOG I do believe your eyes will open beyond your nose and see the possibility is not all that improbable.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ya know...

....Life can be relatively commonplace in the universe and STILL not exist on Kepler 186F.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join