It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow i just saved almost 900 calories a day!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
So about 2 weeks ago i go into tesco and i see mr kipling cake
a pack of 6 little slices of cake (snack size) reduced to 90 pence
www.tesco.com...

So i tried it, and i went through the whole packet so easily.. one slice is like a biscuit it goes in half a second, and before you know it you are through all 6. It was so yum yum too!!!

The next day i bought another pack, the day after another, before i know it a week later ive gone through a whole pack of 6 every day, but i think to myself meh its only small slices.

Anyway, this whole week till yesturday i bought myself a pack again - its cheap and it looks like small slices, and tastes goregous!

However yesturday i looked at the calories and was horrified
Its 140 calories per slice, but a slice is tiny, it is like the size of a wafer, there is no way you will have just one, you will want another one, and before you know it you have all 6 and that is 6 x 140 almost 900 calories! half my daily allowance, not to mention super high sugar levels.

Yesturday was a nightmare to break out of the tasty buying cakey habit but i broke it, and today i had no urge to buy it,
but i think had i not wised up and checked this out, i could have found myself piling on a ton of weight through eating something that i didnt bat an eyelid about.

My warning to everyone is be careful, when you see these like 150 calorie warnings, they are usually just per portion (which calculates the minimum slice), it doesnt take into account you are going to want several and you can sometimes have your entire daily allowance on what you think is just a small snack.

Hope this was useful!

edit on 2015 by kayleighkitty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: kayleighkitty

that's the thing with diet food, it's in such small portions that it will fool ya.
you can do the same with real food at home. just don't eat large portions.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

You thought an entire pack of Mr Kipling cakes was only 150 calories?....

CX

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It's like biscuits.....many people have two or three biscuits with a cuppa, but ones like HobNobs are about 70 cals per biscuit.

Pringles are just as bad, no way you can just eat one, i was eating a couple of packs a day when i was younger, then one day worked out there was 1200 calories in a pack.

When you think that 3500 cals equate to a pound of fat, it's a wake up call.

CX.
edit on 6/3/15 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I had to look those up. Yeah...too many of those and you unlock the Fat Albert achievement, your prize diabetes.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
No Way??!!!???

Junk food is bad for you?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   

What I realized a very long time ago....

Almost everything is approximately 100 or so calories.

Cup of rice? 100 calories approximately.
Slice of bread? 100 calories approximately.
Slice of cheese? 100 calories approximately.
Can of soda? 150 calories approximately.

Now, what I observed could very well also be the suggested serving size. As you saw with the cake from Tescos (just as Asda is Wal-Mart here in the US, I'd swear Tescos is the same as Target here...), was one slice an actual serving, or was it more like the whole package?

Truthfully, if it was marketed as one package was one serving, and oh, BTW, that's 900 calories???? Guess what, sane folks wouldn't buy it when they could eyeball the size of it and realize they'd probably scoff it down in one sitting.

Funny, I only know Tescos as being in the UK, yet you regard calories as calories and not "energy" (if I remember correctly that's how it's marked on the packaging). Are you just lucky enough to have been able to visit the UK (and hopefully other countries), or are you living in the UK?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Mr Kipling Bakewell tarts
Hhhhhhmmmmmm.
I can polish off 12 in one sitting.
Not as good as my Mums mash potato chocolate cake.
(Yes mash potato).

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
Mr Kipling Bakewell tarts
Hhhhhhmmmmmm.
I can polish off 12 in one sitting.
Not as good as my Mums mash potato chocolate cake.
(Yes mash potato).

Get the recipe for that cake and make a thread in the food forum

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Good Idea.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Oh come on, 140 calories is stretching it. They are only 138 calories.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: kayleighkitty

So about 2 weeks ago i go into tesco and i see mr kipling cake
a pack of 6 little slices of cake
(snack size) reduced to 90 pence

However yesturday i looked at the calories and was horrified
Its 140 calories per slice, but a slice is tiny, it is like the size of a wafer, there is no way you will have just one, you will want another one, and before you know it you have all 6 and that is 6 x 140 almost 900 calories! half my daily allowance, not to mention super high sugar levels.

LOL !! I think you just ate what would have at one time been

a *treat* for a whole family of 4, with an extra one for the 'man of

the house' and the two children squabbling over and then sharing the

last slice.Is it any wonder there is an obesity crisis

Makes you wonder how every one survived on *war rations* .... And

I'm sure everyone was healthier then?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'd never realised how addictive some of these cakes can be - I don't know if it's the sugar or some secret ingredient

That was until I bought a pack of jam tarts once and I barely stopped myself from running out to the supermarket to buy more after I'd guzzled the half dozen in the packet.

That was after a day at work and the prospect of going to a packed shop which was some distance away. I reigned myself in and, hard though it was, I never bought them again.

This summer I'd been treating myself to coconut milk which was so refreshing in the hot weather - and good for me. Cheap, too. I suppose it was a good thing that I finally red the calorie information and discovered that there's about 1,000 of the little sods per litre.

What?? I'd been slurping the whole bloody 1 litre carton every day.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You do realize that most products sold are more than ONE serving right? I bet if everything sold in every store was packaged to be sold as a single serving (convenient stores I mean) then people would buy one package of one serving, opposed to one package of 6 servings.

top topics

join