It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why should I care who reads my mail I have nothing to hide

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I now take it for granted that my mail, chat and browsing is recorded, analyzed and stored away together with millions of other bits of info. Even though its innocuous it clearly goes into huge data banks of searchable information. Its said that this information is infinitely valuable and sought after by commercial and security entities and also has other, as yet undiscovered, possibilities just waiting to be exploited when the right idea comes along.

Currently, monitoring opinion making forums with large memberships is standard I imagine. Diffusing issues and dissent from gathering too much steam– Gently managing opinion here and a nudge there sort of thing. Something not confined to home country either but abroad also. Done responsibly it can be for the good - there are a lot of stupid people copying each other and happy to walk off a cliff.

Point of this mail: Given that you broadly accept that aggregating personal information is not by any means anonymous as you are led to believe.
What do you say when confronted with the response :

'Why should I care I have nothing to hide'

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger

There is no such thing as anonymity on the Web.

No way.

It's why I used my real name...

They already know it...
And I didn't have to think of a clever/witty handle.

Hello GCHQ

Hello MOSSAD

Hello NSA

Hello MI5/6

Hello CIA

...You lovely bunch of people.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Because that's how it starts... you give an inch they take a mile.

Do not give up your freedom of privacy.

"I have nothing to hide so it doesn't matter..."

It does matter. Do not let them take what little freedom we have. That phrase is EXACTLY how it all starts.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

For me it is a matter of privacy and principle.
I find it odd that people go on about the TSA but don't mind anonymous digging into other's computers like they are some kind of hero.

Sure anonymous exposed some good stuff but a hack is a hack and i would prefer people left me and my computer alone.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Because that fungal infection I had was just a one time thing, i don't need to be remind of it every time i log on to the mail and there are 200 cream adverts.

Also I don't need the NSA pervs looking at my wife parts when I'm away and she wants to remind me what waits for me at home

And because simply I cannot close my uranium deals with Iran over the internet anymore, come on do we live in the 18 century? I don't want to flight 18 hours for something I could easily do with a whatsapp.

But really, whats wrong with you people what I tell to someone privately its not your damn business, just because you have something to hide it does not mean its illegal or national security, it may be a personal matter, a trade secret, the secret cookie recipe it does not matter its wrong if you obtain information without consent.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Yea no matter how hatd you try to hide they will always find you or a way to check your emails!!! Who cares anymore... privacy eent out the primordial window years ago. a reply to: Borisbanger

Like Charlie said HI NSA,CIA,FBI,MI5, AND EVERYONE ELSE!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Putting information on the Internet is like taking a bullhorn into Times Square and shouting it to the world. I was in the computer industry in the 1980s when the Internet really took off, so I have never been under the impression that my Internet information was private.

In response to your specific question, 'Why should I care I have nothing to hide', I would answer, "I agree. If you have something to hide, you shouldn't put it out there for the world to read.".

Of course, the exception is a locked page for entering credit card numbers and so on. I have a reasonable expectation of privacy there. But we still check every single purchase when we get the bill, to make sure it's valid, because you never know...

Just like having a conversation in a public place... even if you intend for it to be private, it may not be.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Hello GCHQ

Hello MOSSAD

Hello NSA

Hello MI5/6

Hello CIA

LOL! My husband often adds a note of this sort in emails (although he's not so polite), especially if it's a political subject.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

And because simply I cannot close my uranium deals with Iran over the internet anymore, come on do we live in the 18 century?

Hehehe, brilliant!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Hello GCHQ

Hello MOSSAD

Hello NSA

Hello MI5/6

Hello CIA

LOL! My husband often adds a note of this sort in emails (although he's not so polite), especially if it's a political subject.

LoL, legend.

& why not, it's well known now, might as well cc them into the damn things.

Just like having a conversation in a public place... even if you intend for it to be private, it may not be.

Funny you should say that, we have police vans in the UK with satellites on the top that listen to people's conversations...

& that goes back at least 6-7 years.

V For Vendetta style.

Nosey so and so's.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
This is why:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It's called the 4th amendment, and it is being violated by our government every day.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Apologies I dont know how to format address

CharlieSpeirs
I did that and was stalked

and14263
What freedom -

DrumsRfun
Yes - but its deeper then simply ransacking a few files

Indigent
They counter by insisting its anonymous ect

ATF1886
no killer riposte yet

Benevolent Heretic
I read its a fallacy to assume its as simple as 'not putting it on the web'
and that we are in fact feekked beyond knowing -That is an individuals collated information contains more knowledge, prediction and value then one knew or was aware about ones self .
Medical records is a case in point-I recently come across a reference to it being legal for a corporation to insure a workers life entirely to the benefit to the company and to the ignorance of the person. In other words the family gets nothing. I am not sure if there even needs to be employer connection these days – maybe somebody here knows more about it

I think a major consideration nobody as yet has mentioned is :
How will the information be used in the future.
What/who is legal today may not be tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

and14263
What freedom?

Very little because bit by bit they have taken. Because people let them. Don't be one of those weaker people.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 6-3-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

GCHQ, MI6 & MOSSAD etc do not have to abide by your 4th Amendment...

I guess the CIA/NSA do, but that info could be willingly shared to the NSA by the above quite easily.

There is actually a few loopholes I could mention that would not be unconstitutional too.

But I don't want to give them any ideas.
Not without being reimbursed with a Swiss Bank account, a G6 and a Villa in the Cayman Islands...

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

When my bud from Cumbria and I talk on the phone, we randomly throw in "Pressure Cooker" or use gibberish codes such as "C#11378".

Once, I even said "Dear NSA...front door is unlocked. Hot coffee on the stove. Help yourself to some banana nut bread on your way in..."

Couldn't agree more with you, Charlie

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

LoL.

Probably brightens up their unnecessarily boring day when they come across such things.

& if you can make someone smile, you've done your bit for the day.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

a reply to: nullafides

LoL.

Probably brightens up their unnecessarily boring day when they come across such things.

& if you can make someone smile, you've done your bit for the day.

I'm with you 100%....

And laughing at yourself is just as, if not more important

edit on 6-3-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
So you're all here to relieve our collective anxiety? Men have been perpetrating slimy deeds upon one another for centuries. This is just another platform for them to do so.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Borisbanger
What do you say when confronted with the response :

'Why should I care I have nothing to hide'

That's your choice. Some people like to keep their correspondance private even it consists of the most banal harmless nonsense, that's their choice. Just because something is electronic does not mean it should not be treated any differently to the written word in a sealed envelope.

But if you want to be very worried then think about this : we all know that trawling these emails will only ever uncover the stupid terrorist! and thus any authority that states "it needs this access" is clearly demonstrating an unbelievable level of ignorance.

When the detection of terrorist activities is not dependant on mass trawling of internet messages then, and only then, can you have some faith in the process. This requires the secret services to be cleverer than the terrorist......which is not currently the case.........are you scared yet?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join