It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic link to autism

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: korkythecat

Autism in public schools rate........1997 = 50,000...........2009 = 350,000. Ya stable......Also I have these two things on the front of my face that allow me to see simple truths.

Autism is becoming a normal common thing unlike 30 years ago.

But, as previously stated, the definition has increased in that time period. It's not that we are seeing an explosion of cases, we are seeing an explosion of that label being applied.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: boymonkey74

Yep but the fact remains Autism is rising and the Amish have a much lower rate. We should be studying why this is happening. I wonder is the Amish use GMO seeds....Hmm.

Or, because Amish homeschool or have small private schools where kids are simply not given that label.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

I hope you weren't referring to the diet post, because it would be wrong to dismiss techniques which work for many.

Here is a bit of research by an American hospital:

Adding the dietary supplements folate and vitamin B12 to treatment with antipsychotic medication improved a core symptom component of schizophrenia in a study of more than 100 patients.

link. Lots more available online.

If I got you wrong I'm sorry.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

We have broadened the definition but the research I have seen shows that the rate of increase is greater than the theory of new diagnostic criteria being the sole driver of the increase. However I am aware that this is a source of controversy with research on both sides.

Genetics do play big role, but epigenetics may play a bigger role. I have a thread about this. There are environmental triggers that cause genes to be expressed or to shut down. The roots of autism remain so mysterious because it could be 1. Multiple sources affecting an individual's genes and 2. It could be inter generational. In other words my mom or myself could have been exposed to something that caused a set of genes in my son to express/not express. (My Thread)

It is a complex problem. I disagree that it is simply an increase in diagnosis. I will agree that it is controversial!

The debate about whether the reported increase in autism is affected by factors such as more awareness misses the point, says Isaac Pessah, PhD, a professor of toxicology, director of the Center for Children's Environmental Health Sciences, and a member of the MIND Institute at the University of California Davis. Rather than argue about whether the increase is because of some children being reclassified or other factors, he says, "We need to understand why it's one in 150."

Focusing on the actual numbers -- rather than the debate -- is wise, says Craig Newschaffer, PhD, chairman and professor of the department of epidemiology and biostatistics at Drexel University School of Public Health in Philadelphia. "We thought autism was a very rare occurrence, and it's clear that it's not."

Source

edit on 6-3-2015 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Getting to the cause of autism - environment plus genetics...

Getting to the Causes of Autism continued...
"This is harder than cancer because in cancer you can biopsy it; you can see it on an X-ray," Goldstein says. "We don't have a blood test [for autism]. There is no biomarker, no image, no pathology."

"There won't be one single explanation,'' says Marvin Natowicz, MD, PhD, a medical geneticist and vice chairman of the Genomic Medicine Institute at the Cleveland Clinic.

"There's been a lot of progress in the last few years in terms of understanding the causes of autism," Natowicz says. "We know a lot more than we did." Still, he says, research has a long way to go. "One number you see often is that about 10% of those with autism have a definitive diagnosis, a causative condition." The other 90% of cases are still a puzzle to the experts.

Often, a child with autism will have a co-existing problem, such as a seizure disorder, depression, anxiety, or gastrointestinal or other health problems. At least 60 different disorders -- genetic, metabolic, and neurologic -- have been associated with autism, according to a report published in The New EnglandJournal of Medicine.

On one point most agree: A combination of genetics and environmental factors may play a role. Scientists are looking at both areas.

Source

Environmental causes being investigated include pesticides (rate increases near agricultural areas or with individuals exposed to pesticides) - also pesticides found in GMO foods relating to gut bacteria populations, organic/industrial pollutants such as PCBs (neurotoxin) and heavy metals, mother's immune system functioning, age of parents, and the list goes on and on. The ultimate reality is it isn't just one thing.

peace,
AB
edit on 6-3-2015 by AboveBoard because: added information

edit on 6-3-2015 by AboveBoard because: more information

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: korkythecat
A Medical Research Council study involving twins has suggested that genetics play a part in 74% to 98% of cases.

Environmental influences are not ruled out completely though.

Link to bbc Autism article

Human fetal DNA is in the vaccines. source
Human DNA is active when in contact with other DNA.source

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I also read some time ago autism have certain facial characteristics

www.dailymail.co.uk... developmental-disorder.html

Wider eyes and a broader mouth: Scientists identify subtle 'distinct facial characteristics' of children with autism

-Have a broader face, including wider eyes
-Have a shorter middle region of the face, including the cheeks and nose
-Have a wider mouth and philtrum - the area between the nose and lips

But yea I do wonder how many get diagnosed with autims while they don't have it.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Nope. Nothing to do with diet at all. It was a gene marker research study.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

originally posted by: korkythecat
A Medical Research Council study involving twins has suggested that genetics play a part in 74% to 98% of cases.

Environmental influences are not ruled out completely though.

Link to bbc Autism article

Human fetal DNA is in the vaccines. source
Human DNA is active when in contact with other DNA.source

Gallus gallus domesticus fetal DNA is in the eggs we eat.
Oh lordy!!
What about all of the plant DNA we consume to!!!???
I mean, it's even a different kingdom of organism's DNA!

DNA is always "active", it's a chemical compound.
It depends what your definition of "active" is though.

scienceblogs.com...
edit on 8/3/15 by Pardon? because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join