It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, Politics and God

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

I imagine the same way it does for theism: a history book. Commit atrocities against those who do not believe the same way. Make the people worship the state, or worse, a grand leader. Like I said, take the worst aspects of religion and run with it.

do you not accept this history?

So when you said:

any political or state atheism has led to the death of millions

You were incorrect yes? or are you saying every theistic state will also lead to the deaths of millions?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AinElohim

Humans are not robots is the simple answer.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

Sure I should have used a different word. Do you deny that atheism has led to such atrocities?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Humans are not robots is the simple answer.

this is an excellent movie... the moral and ethical questions remain.

you are also playing avoidance... I would expect much more from you my friend.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Sounds like a trolley problem.

BTW the robot saved him because there was a higher chance that he would survive where the kid wouldn't.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Are you able to furnish any real-life examples? Speaking about fiction gets tiring in ethics.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You're insinuating historically totalitarian dictatorships are representative of atheism? That is the heart of the matter, and precisely what I disagree with.

Have I misunderstood?
edit on 6-3-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Sure I should have used a different word. Do you deny that atheism has led to such atrocities?

Differences in beliefs led to the atrocities you mention, not specifically the rejection of the multiple claims for multiple gods.

Unless you can show that specifically the lack of belief has led to the atrocities?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Atheism, the pejorative title given to a group of people who reject the concept of god(s) lording over humanity, is not what leads mankind to commit atrocities. The excuses used to commit them are, however, innumerable.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I can answer this... (yes) atheism has caused atrocity.

example #1 Red October.

a priest, nobility (king of russia) and a businessman being swept away...

how they were swept away should be something everyone should learn for themselves.

these atheists can often be a danger to themselves and to society.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
attn thread...

I am first generation American, if you want to know about atheism and politics I may be able to help.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AinElohim
I can answer this... (yes) atheism has caused atrocity.

example #1 Red October.

a priest, nobility (king of russia) and a businessman being swept away...

how they were swept away should be something everyone should learn for themselves.

these atheists can often be a danger to themselves and to society.

Yes those people were atheists, but they also had mustaches. You need to show how atheism leads directly to genocide, and explain why atheist states in 2015 have not yet committed said atrocities.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

attn thread...

I am first generation American, if you want to know about atheism and politics I may be able to help.

Lol did you even watch thazt video?

It's not a documentary nor is it about 'militant atheism'....

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

here is your example, it can not be denied that atheism evolves into monstrosity when mixed with politics and when the dogma of science becomes the State/Republic.

religion offers definitive answers to morals and ethics whic atheism and science can not even begin to approach with logic and reason.

PS; the atheist drinking coffee in the last clip I posted is incorrect, he is brainwashed.

his words are that the State/Republic has now been replaced by Church Dogma... it has not.

Russia is now a Secular Nation thank you Ronald Reagan.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Atheism can be plagued by fundamentalist assholes too. Why are atheist dystopias singled out but you conveniently fail to explore all the terrible theocracies in the world? There have been FAR more misuses of religion to promote terror and bloodshed than atheists doing the same.

Right now secular countries claim to be among the happiest in the world. Explain this: Misinformation and facts about secularism and religion

Citing four different studies, Zuckerman states: "Murder rates are actually lower in more secular nations and higher in more religious nations where belief in God is widespread." He also states: "Of the top 50 safest cities in the world, nearly all are in relatively non-religious countries."

Secular Societies Fare Better Than Religious Societies

Consider, for instance, the latest special report just put out by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (and recently summarized on the website 24/7wallstreet.com), which lists the ten states with the worst/best quality of life. According to this multivariate analysis which takes into account a plethora of indicators of societal well-being, those states in America with the worst quality of life tend to be among the most God-loving/most religious (such as Mississippi and Alabama), while those states with the best quality of life tend to among the least God-loving/least religious (such as Vermont and New Hampshire).

If you are curious as to which states are the most/least religious, simply check out the Pew Forum’s Religious Landscape Survey. It’s all there. And then you can go ahead and check out how the various states are faring in terms of societal well-being. The correlation is clear and strong: the more secular tend to fare better than the more religious on a vast host of measures, including homicide and violent crime rates, poverty rates, obesity and diabetes rates, child abuse rates, educational attainment levels, income levels, unemployment rates, rates of sexually transmitted diseases and teen pregnancy, etc. You name it: on nearly every sociological measure of well-being, you’re most likely to find the more secular states with the lowest levels of faith in God and the lowest rates of church attendance faring the best and the most religious states with the highest levels of faith in God and rates of church attendance faring the worst.

And guess what? The correlation holds internationally, as well.

As I’ve discussed in my book Society Without God, and as I extensively elaborate on in my newest book Living the Secular Life, those democratic nations today that are the most secular, such as Scandinavia, Japan, Australia, the Netherlands, etc., are faring much better on nearly every single indicator of well-being imaginable than the most religious nations on earth today, such as Colombia, Jamaica, El Salvador, Yemen, Malawi, Pakistan, the Philippines, etc.

Your OP is standard fearmongering hogwash from the religious to denounce atheism. Too bad, outside of a few despots during the 20th century, all secular countries are much better than religious ones. Meanwhile, theocratic countries continue to push the boundaries on immorality.
edit on 6-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

thank you for you input...

this is incorrect, atheism at its base begets this dogma...

atheism is but a dogma too and nothing more than a religion when promoted by the State as "religion"

anyone need only investigate just Russian history alone to deduce this simple conclusion.

the reason the conclusion is simple to deduce is because it has happened time and time again under different cultures, it transcends boundaries.

anyone wishing to ask my parents questions are welcomed, my grandparents have passed on now but they have all lived through it.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

here is your example, it can not be denied that atheism evolves into monstrosity when mixed with politics and when the dogma of science becomes the State/Republic.

That's not an example.... of anything? (maybe of your irrationality)

Atheism is the rejection of the claims made by theists, nothing more nothing less. Your claim was that atheism led to genocidal atrocities, not a mix of beliefs.

religion offers definitive answers to morals and ethics whic atheism and science can not even begin to approach with logic and reason.

No, atheism is merely the rejection of the claims made theists, nothing more nothing less...

Sure religion offers absolute answers, but no good reasons as to why you should accept them, just mere faith.

PS; the atheist drinking coffee in the last clip I posted is incorrect, he is brainwashed.

k

his words are that the State/Republic has now been replaced by Church Dogma... it has not.

k

Is this your version of the Socratic method?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
if either atheism or theism leads to atrocities by the state, the obvious answer is, each human being needs to be free to decide for him or herself, and no one group/single individual should be allowed to make law for everyone else. you decide what your destiny is, not the state. you decide when to die, not the state. the state is darth vader on steroids.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

thank you for you input...

this is incorrect, atheism at its base begets this dogma...

Atheism has no dogma. Atheism is just a rejection of the divine due to lack of evidence.

atheism is but a dogma too and nothing more than a religion when promoted by the State as "religion"

anyone need only investigate just Russian history alone to deduce this simple conclusion.

Russia is but ONE example of the misuse of atheism. I can name TONS of theocratic countries that did MUCH worse. Heck I can name some that exist today. How many atheist countries are participating in human genocide today?

the reason the conclusion is simple to deduce is because it has happened time and time again under different cultures, it transcends boundaries.

Name some atheist cultures besides Russia or China under Mao that committed atrocities against its populace.

anyone wishing to ask my parents questions are welcomed, my grandparents have passed on now but they have all lived through it.

Except you are projecting the actions of the few as the actions of the whole and it doesn't work that way. The word for that is prejudice. I see you completely ignored my scientific evidence in favor of promoting your anecdotal evidence from your parents though.
edit on 6-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I have the feeling that you'd be right at home in these ATS threads:

Atheist, deharmonizing the harmony of the spheres

Atheist to be monitored?

Atheism and Communism

Yule Log Cake - (Vegan Black Metal Chef)

In fact, you remind me very much of that poster/member, www.abovetopsecret.com... I wonder if he forgot or lost his password, or maybe it was his reputation that has stopped him from posting recently! Well, at least that member isn't posting in THIS thread! That might get awkward!

edit on 6-3-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join