It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Men are More Narcissistic than Women, Psychologists Say

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:38 PM
a reply to: eisegesis

Ok , I guess I will have to state the Obvious here . Narcissism is Gender Blind . Case in point , Nancy Pelosi ..............

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:44 PM
If men have become more narcissistic I would argue that it is because society has, over the past few decades, placed such an unrealistic expectation set upon us - one that the average female has been conditioned to see as normal.

Men, these days, are supposed to look like Brad Pitt, make insane amounts of money, dress impeccably, behave in a more feminine way that many of us find comfortable or natural, repress a large portion of our natural behaviors... essentially we've been pigeonholed into not just striving for perfection - but a demand of achieving it.

This same sort of phenomenon happened to women from the fifties through the eighties and has somewhat died down now, or maybe changed. Female role models have gone to Hell these days and we live in a world where Kardashians and Miley Cyrus are serving as the behavior templates for young girls.

Role models for young males? I'm really stuck trying to think of any of those that are worth a damn either.

Wow, I'm not narcissistic at all. I'm just aware that we are DOOMED.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:47 PM
Gender pointing finger threads are Narcissistic. I wonder what the motive is in writing this thread.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:50 PM

Not for nothin, but the way ive heard it explained is that Borderline Personality disorder is the "female" version of Narcissitic Personality Disorder. In fact, ive heard that there was some consideration of combining the two in the DSM-V. It didnt happen.

But, all Cluster B personality disorders tend to be very similar nonetheless. Dark Triad and all.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:52 PM
a reply to: Hefficide

LOL , We All are Heff .................... To Bad John Wayne is Dead , now there was a M_A_N .

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:16 AM

originally posted by: eisegesis
31 years of data? 475,000 participants? You have my attention! Whatever preconceived notion you may hold about how a man or women view themselves may be challenged. Lets see where this is going.

This isn't precisely accurate. It's a meta-study/analysis. It's an examination of all work on a related topic. It's not a single study with strict standards.

Meta-analysis has its problems. You can read about some of those here.. Quote below:

. Meta-analysis are often used to recover something from poorly designed studies, studies of insufficient statistical power, studies that give erratic results, and those resulting in apparent contradictions. Occasionally, meta-analysis does give worthwhile results, but all too often it is subject to methodological criticisms, some of which have been discussed above.

Quote from the study in question:
"First, studies had to use a measure of narcissism;
although the NPI is by far the most common narcissism measure,
we also included all of the other measures of narcissism we found
and examined whether measurement instrument moderated the
narcissism– gender effect size"

I was reading a physical version, so I can't link it. Basically these types of studies can be incredibly problematic and difficult to navigate unless you're well versed in the field and the literature. I have no particular care or opinion on the matter, but it is annoying when the media fails to point that out. A lot of FOX News worthy journal articles have been meta-analysis in recent years.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:35 AM
I have to agree. Aren't most males of a species prettier (colorful) than the females?

Sure I can point out that my wife and daughter have dozens of pairs of shoes and I only have one. They have a lot of jewelry and I don't wear any. They use make-up and I don't even shave on a daily basis but that must be because they need all that stuff. I'm super fine just the way I am.

Maybe, male narcissism is a little passive aggressive?

edit on 6-3-2015 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:40 AM
Well, individuals vary, all things can be found in all genders, I realize this is talking about a majority count; generalization. So any person could not relate to a generalization.

But I personally find there is truth in this conclusion. Men tend to have their own concerns, goals and intents higher in focus than most women.
Women often have more empathic urges which make distinction between their own concerns, goals and intents and those of others, rather weak. Being aware of anothers desires or preferences can cause them to easily identify with the same, as if it were their own. (and just as easily project their own desires or preferences upon others).

That said, this is what I find complimentary between them. I'm pragmatic that way.
Self awareness is very useful and so is other-awareness. Each only gets to be problematic when it is at an extreme and unbalanced.

I have found that my relationship with my mate has been constructive for us both in that area-
when he spontaneously makes a judgement based only upon his individual experience, view, and intents, I speak up and remind- wait, think of the other... I help him put himself in their shoes, and then be able to deliberate a choice or judgement which takes that into account too.

When I get so lost in trying to fulfil the needs and intents of others, I lose my self, he is there to say- wait, think of you! Who R U ?????? and I can better try to find choices which take that into account too.

So yeah- men are good at that, women are good at something else, and great things happen when we mix it together!

ETA- and it is my husband who has a passion for shoes and clothing, and takes up all the room in the closet. I don't really get into looks that much. But the little that I do, I find it to be an activity of individual creative expression- I choose forms and colors which express what I am feeling each day, bringing what is inside, out. It allows me to feel "integral" that my perception of me and the way others perceive me, approach similarity.

My husband, however, seems to enjoy the regard of others, the admiration, the attention he can draw, (no matter whether the look is expressive of his internal state or not). He is more likely to dress very colorfully and flamboyantly especially when he feels drab inside, because he is aware that the regard of others is a formidable force in manipulating his interior state! If he feels "blah", but others are reacting to him as if he is "Wow!" it makes his mood change, and he becomes "Wow!" inside. I don't think that is so bad or stupid!

-I just prefer embracing whatever is occuring in me, and others can deal with it... or not. Their choice.

edit on 6-3-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:58 AM
Narcissistic people are stupid, lazy and irresponsible.

I temporarily live with a friend, he likes to help others but is also a magnet for troublemakers.
There where two others living here too, I already kicked them out, the third one (female) is still here...

To the point, all three are narcissistic and soulless, has no money, no job, can't do the dishes, can't clean, takes food out of the fridge but can't put it back, etc

They need love, they need respect, ...or they do nothing except irritating you in choosing the right picture for their selfies parade.
The kind that uses Facebook as a fishing pool, they throw you back in and ban you for a day for not giving them the love and respect they deserve.... lol, for doing nothing !!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:31 AM
I really need to have a good look at this study but I am a bit doubtful. Narcissistic Personality Disorder possibly has a biological basis like Antisocial Personality Disorder and has a developmental basis rather than something that is learned or is due to conditioning. Many people may have narcissistic-like traits which they may have learned but they do not necessarily have this disorder. However it is possible that more men than women have this disorder as Antisocial PD follows this trend.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:41 AM
So i am self absorbed , mindful of my looks and am never wrong . Pfffttt i already knew that .
edit on 6-3-2015 by hutch622 because: i only edited because i like writing in the edit box .

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:22 AM

originally posted by: eisegesis
a reply to: Baddogma

I would have read your post, but I was too busy rereading my own thread. If your comment was about me or my thread, I might have taken notice.

I'm not sure why no one is responding to my thread when it's clearly the best one available at the moment.

That's enough about you, let's talk about you now.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:31 AM
Oh great, another social conitionning to portrait men as jerks and women as angels.

Men traits = Bad
Women traits = Good

Strangely, the media always tries to empower women to boost their confidence, but when men have confidence in themselves they are narcissistic. I've had once a psychopathic psychologist that talked to me for about 2 minutes and said I was an extreme narcissist and that I needed treatment. Boy was I insulted, I guess she wanted to make money off of me. I told her she was incompetent and that she wasn't helping my mother at all, in fact, things got better when she was out of her life.

I have high self esteem and often feel like I'm better than others but I never ever look down on people, act with disrespect, act selfishly or treat others differently that I like to be treated. In fact, my self esteem is what empowers me, make me who I am and makes me want to perform above others...what's wrong with that?

Ah yes, it's wrong because I'm a man.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:47 AM

Throughout the animal kingdom, men are the more majestic creature. What with having to catch the eye of a female concerned only with self-interest, it takes a lot of work.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:49 AM

originally posted by: theMediator
... and often feel like I'm better than others but I never ever look down on people

Doesn't your statement that you often feel better than others imply that you are looking down on others?

If someone feels superior to others it usually means they feel they are above them, so they must be also looking down on them.

Why do you feel better than others? There is inevitably skills that one can do better than some others, but there is almost certainly others that can do those same skills better. So why feel better (or worse) than others?

Recognize that we are all in a condition of unlimited relatedness with everyone and everything - whether we like it or not - and feelings of being better or worse than others is just another thing narcissus does to keep from recognizing the truth of our actual situation here.

edit on 3/6/2015 by bb23108 because:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:52 AM
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
The female is the one who will be carrying and nurturing the offspring so should choose wisely when selecting a mate - it is not just self interest.
I read a study once where it showed that the female will choose a safe father figure but go out and find a stronger more dynamic mate to actually fertilize the egg. Have paternity tests changed the course of evolution??

The male wants to be able to plant it's seed and can only do that by attracting a mate - so the male is desperate to impress (this may well be unconscious).
edit on 6-3-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:03 AM

Emily Grijalva is a social scientist at a business school, where she has been employed for eight months. Prior to that she was an assistant professor at the university where she earned her Ph.D. For eleven months. According to her CV (NB: PDF) she received her Ph.D in August 2013. The co-authors of her paper are a crew of even more junior academics.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:22 AM
Ive encountered some men out there who REALLY think highly of themselves despite not being all that. So yes, I agree with this study.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:25 AM

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Throughout the animal kingdom, men are the more majestic creature. What with having to catch the eye of a female concerned only with self-interest, it takes a lot of work.

yup, work on those abs

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:25 AM
I trust a psychologist about as far as I could throw a dump truck.

I mean, I'm sure there's some truth to the claim but my first thought is "What is the motive behind this claim?"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>