It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HArrison Ford in Plane Crash...In Critical Condition.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop
Can someone with knowledge in these situations confirm that indicating a single passenger on a plane is generally referred to as "solo" ?

I'm watching CNN and the FDLA spokes-dude just said "solo"

I'd say something like... "single" "only" "sole"...

I seriously don't know what the protocol is here.

One of the definitions of solo is: "a flight in an airplane during which the pilot is unaccompanied by an instructor or other person"

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

Clearly this was a Han solo flight.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

The most important flight in training is the first solo. You're on your own and there's no one there to catch any mistakes.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

But would a FD guy know that?

I'm thinking... "no"

I love LA...

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
He was trying to do the kessel run in 12 parsecs...

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Did not read 'every' page, but did see where several people jumped to conclusions and were making fun of him..people are so fast to jump to conclusions.

Ford is an accomplished and professional pilot, who has been flying since the 60's.. longer that I have been alive lol.

TMZ has the ATC from the airport when this happened.. he called an engine failure and requested return was given a runway which he promptly knew he wouldn't be able to make and requested another. He must have known he was not going to make that as well and put it down at the airport. And lived.

He can be my pilot anytime

Should also be noted that he routinely uses his Bell 407 helicopter (damn that must be nice lol) in search and rescue efforts. Pretty swell guy if you ask me.

link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Harrison was on his solo flight back in the 60's, I think.

link   

But would a FD guy know that?

I'm thinking... "no"

I think this is a case of people trying to see something because it fits. =)

I don't see or hear anything abnormal about saying "solo" when used to describe a single driver or pilot.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I've never, ever heard the talking heads on the news describe a car accident with one person as a "solo"

That, and I grew up in California and I know how snarky those folks can be.

I'll drop it for now

edit on 3.5.2015 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
My OCD is kicking in, the capital A in HArrison in title.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
damn! just saw this on CNN, He is one of my favorite actors...I really hope he pulls through : (

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: toepick
Did not read 'every' page, but did see where several people jumped to conclusions and were making fun of him..people are so fast to jump to conclusions.

Ford is an accomplished and professional pilot, who has been flying since the 60's.. longer that I have been alive lol.

TMZ has the ATC from the airport when this happened.. he called an engine failure and requested return was given a runway which he promptly knew he wouldn't be able to make and requested another. He must have known he was not going to make that as well and put it down at the airport. And lived.

He can be my pilot anytime

Should also be noted that he routinely uses his Bell 407 helicopter (damn that must be nice lol) in search and rescue efforts. Pretty swell guy if you ask me.

I've read often where he's used his personal helicopter to rescue people stuck on mountains nearby. Usually at his own cost as well. From what I hear, he still builds furniture, now and then architectural magazines show some of his items he builds.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

You also don't hear them talking about people in cars driving on instruments or making a precision approach.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

The FD guy made no reference to that fancy talk

I'm standing by my assertion that the FD guy with the cheesy solo mustache was messing with the media.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Fly.... yes, Land........NO!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
First he breaks a leg getting out of the Millennium Falcon, now he crash lands a two-seater. Methinks Ford's days as a pilot/space jockey are over. Hope he has a speedy recovery, he still has films to make: Star Wars 8 & 9, Indiana Jones 5, Blade Runner 2, and oh yeah, Cowboys & Aliens 2!

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The FD guy made no reference to that fancy talk

I'm standing by my assertion that the FD guy with the cheesy solo mustache was messing with the media.

I dunno...Again I think its like seeing a rat shape in a rock on Mars...

This article is about a plane crash in CA and opens with "Update: A small plane has crashed in an intersection after taking off from Van Nuys Airport, and the aircraft's solo occupant has been killed."

ktla.com...

This different article is titled, "Solo teenage pilot died as he tried to avoid a faster plane"

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I could put hundreds of other examples like this up..

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here is the spine surgeon playing golfs description of the crash (how lucky can he get crashing next to a spine surgeon)

Spine surgeon Sanjay Khurana was playing golf Thursday when a single-engine, World War II-era plane crashed on the course.

Khurana operated on instinct, he says, running to the scene to ensure the pilot was safe.

“He was stunned a bit,” Khurana said. “He was moaning and in pain.”
Khurana says he quickly recognized the famous pilot.

“It was obvious by his face, it was Harrison Ford. I’m old enough, or young enough, to have watched all his ‘Star Wars’ films. So, it was obvious,” Khurana told ABC News.
A group of golfers help extract Ford from the plane and worked to stabilize his spine and neck. Khurana tried to check the man’s blood pressure and his airway, ensuring that he would be OK.

Ford, 72, was later hospitalized in “fair to moderate” condition, said Patrick Butler of the Los Angeles Fire Department. His publicist, Ina Treciokas, described the actor’s injuries as non-life-threatening.

The actor reported engine trouble shortly after taking off from Santa Monica Municipal Airport and asked for an immediate return to the airport, National Transportation Safety Board investigator Patrick Jones said. The tower then reported that his aircraft came up short of the runway, according to air traffic controller transmissions from LiveATC.net.
“You don't go golfing expecting to see an airplane crash and to help extract someone and realize it's someone you know from the movies, right? It's fairly bizarre,” he said.

“But as a surgeon, I've been practicing for almost over a decade now, you deal with urgent situations. So you have to do your best for someone in distress.”

Sometimes I think people are blessed by the gods in life, luck and career.
ETA quote external source link needed to be added
abcnews.go.com...
edit on 6-3-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join