It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: LaGuardia Airport closed due to 'aircraft incident'. Minor injuries reported.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Crakeur

The FAA Ave airport authority make that decision. The thinking is usually that as long as the ILS and landing instruments are working and they can treat the runways they'll at least land the aircraft in the area and keep disruption to a minimum.

Is the call made locally?
edit on 5-3-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

It can be made locally or it can be made higher. It's usually made locally if it's an individual airport, or higher if it's multiple airports.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

a reply to: SubTruth

It can be made locally or it can be made higher. It's usually made locally if it's an individual airport, or higher if it's multiple airports.

Thanks for the info and your expertise in these threads. Really you could write a book on this topic.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They can employ ground stops to help with this too. They won't completely shut down the airport if they don't have to. Like Zaph said, as long as everything is working and the runways can be kept in acceptable condition the authorities will at least let in a trickle of airplanes while ground stopping others at their origins so there is still some flow.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

That's actually one of the preferred methods. It limits disruption and allows better control of flights in and out.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
They're reporting 131 people were on board, with 27 injuries. Three were transported to local hospitals.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'm glad that no one was killed, and only 3 people were injured bad enough to require a visit to the hospital. Hopefully, their injuries will not be extreme.

I am not really surprised something like this happened, in fact, I was expecting worse, given the insane weather conditions in the North East, and I am glad, at least, what happened was relatively minor. Honestly, though. I do not see why they just don't suspend or put a heavy limit on air traffic until the weather is safer. T^rue, I understand the possible economic impact, but lives and safety matter more. With what I've seen in the North East on the news, and from what my house bound friends living there have told me, I'm surprised there haven't been more state of emergencies declared.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

From what I've heard none were life threatening, or serious. They were probably the two pilots and forward flight attendant. They haven't officially said though.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

From what I've heard none were life threatening, or serious. They were probably the two pilots and forward flight attendant. They haven't officially said though.

No serious injuries,true.But as wing got ripped off and spewing fuel,couldn't those passengers have become toast very quickly?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

It doesn't look like it was torn off, just damaged. Depending on the damage there was actually not much risk of fire. The weather would also help keep the risk mitigated somewhat.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

a bit late in getting back to the thread but the local news had some interviews this morning, with passengers, and it seems the pilot came out of the cockpit after the plane stopped, hugged at least one passenger and checked to make sure everyone was ok so, at least one pilot made it out without serious injuries.

For those of you that aren't familiar with LaGuardia, this has happened 5 or 6 times in the past, even making it into the drink one or two times.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Just put some duct tape on it and it'll be flying out of Hotlanta in no time.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

That'll buff right out.

posted on Apr, 9 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
NTSB update:

The aircraft touched down near the centerline at 133 knots.

At two seconds after touchdown the thrust reversers deployed and engine power started to increase.

At 2.5 seconds spoilers deployed, the nose gear came down and brake pressure increased.

At 6 seconds the aircraft began to veer left. Both engines were producing the same amount of thrust and all appeared normal.

The left engine produced slightly more thrust at peak power, but not enough to pull them left it appears. The thrust reversers were stowed at 9 seconds, at 14 seconds after touchdown the aircraft departed the runway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join