It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lie of Muslims not evolving out of the Dark Ages

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

Which God is yours that doesn't have "don't do this or burn" rules?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: greencmp
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If disagreeing is trolling then the owner is a troll as are you. Is that what you are saying?

Disagreeing is one thing. But coming in and posting inflammatory one liners like I don't know what I'm talking about with no supporting argument is a totally different story. And I always thought you and I had mutual respect for each other. Guess I was wrong.

We did have a rapport, I became disillusioned when I realized that, far from occasionally, you have been representing yourself as a libertarian while voicing very few libertarian viewpoints.

I consider this to be a disservice to libertarian values (and the public's impression of them).

Just as I consider Republicans attempting to claim the constitution as a formative document to their platform or the Democrats claims to represent the best interests of the people.
edit on 5-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Which God is yours that doesn't have "don't do this or burn" rules?

The one I choose to believe in. My own version. Same God as most but I ignore the negatives.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY
a reply to: johnwick

Not my God. The one I know is all about inspiration-forgivenss-love-compassion-obedience but in a way that does not interrupt the life you live. To give thanks to him for he has provided

It is not

Submit to him or die
If you convert from him you will burn
If you eat this or that you will burn
If you do not control your women you will burn
Those who do not believe -they must die
You must pray 5 times a day or you will burn
You must fast during Ramadan or burn
You must make the pilgrimmage to Mecca or see it at least or you will burn..

I see an aweful lot of negativity with Islam. Then again it is how you interpret it. LOL

You are right, the Christian god just flashed out and killed tens of thousands at a time in biblical days.

For any number of supposed slights.

Up to and including killing every first born son of Egypt....ya he is great

Don't even get me started on eternal damnation for supposed sins, in a short brutal life, in a world full of pain despair and all around suffering for most of the people in this world.

But once again, ya he is great

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Not speaking of bible. I was speaking of my version of him. Bible just like the Koran was made by men. One was made by a pedophile but all the same non-the less.

I took the origins of mine(bible) and embraced all the positives and discounted the negative teachings completely. Its up to the person who makes it a good or bad thing.

FYI-the bible for me is like an adventure book of tales that have a lesson in each one.
edit on 5-3-2015 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

But the bible still holds similar views to what you quoted about doing this or burning.

You may choose to ignore them, but that doesn't mean they are not there.

Like you said, it is all about interpretation, seems you don't want to accept that anyone in Islam could do what you did.

edit on thThu, 05 Mar 2015 12:41:21 -0600America/Chicago320152180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

a reply to: Shadow Herder

I didn't make this thread to discuss Muslim beliefs here. I made it to point out that the Muslim world didn't used to be so backwards and was even the pillar of morality when the Christian world was going through its darkest days of immorality.

All true, but so what? If you're not Muslim, what do you care? Or do you defend Muslims because of your hatred for Christians? That's all well and good since its the PC position to take, but...just like when some came to ban smoking, you cheered them on, but when the terrorists come to stone you to death for being an atheist-non-Muslim, will you be surprised when the Christians cheer them on, (until they come for the Christians that is)? Look to Europe to understand the effects of trying to merge two diametrically opposed cultural mindsets. And while it isn't true that the Muslims are stuck in the Dark Ages, it does appear to be true that they've largely embraced an anti-Western Civilization attitude.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

That is not it. I am just seeing what is put out in current events. Perception is everything. I have no doubts that there are people who do things the same as me. The issue I have is no one speaking out to denounce it in mass. There are too few people willing to fix the issue. You don't see anyone attempting to change the culture of a religion by building schools or getting these local people any type of modivation to do something positive.I don't see any massive protests even remotely the size of ferguson to denounce the issues going.

Is anyone trying to curtail the problem en masse? No. You still have kids lining up to join ISIL. Change the culture of violence. The world needs to change its culture of racism. Both sides need to aid in fixing the problem.

Every religion has violence-it just so happens to be Islam now. 200 years later it will probably buddists. Idk.

Violence only gets more violence. I don't know if anyone has gotten that pattern yet.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Krzy seem to have missed the pattern.

There were Greece and Rome, then there were the Dark Ages, then there was the Enlightenment. Christianity arose during the latter part of the Roman Empire and came to prominence in the Byzantine Holy Roman Empire just before the utter collapse of both into the Medieval Dark Ages and Medieval Catholic Church with its prominence in Rome.

Muslims did see a flowering of their culture and society just after the collapse of the Roman Imperial Era into the Dark Ages.

But guess what? That flowering also saw its own collapse into a cultural and religious Dark Ages from which it has yet to have a similar Enlightenment period.

That is why people say that Muslims are stuck in a Dark Age.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Ok then they are pre dark ages.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
My cup is full. First came the water, then the blood.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I didn't make this thread to discuss Muslim beliefs here. I made it to point out that the Muslim world didn't used to be so backwards and was even the pillar of morality when the Christian world was going through its darkest days of immorality.

Well you should know that when you post something in a forum, the discussion will not always be solely about what you posted. Either have to learn to deal with it, or don't post.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Does it really matter? It's a silly, religious belief--and like all religious beliefs, should be forgotten.

We have science, now.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Jihad vs Crusades

Cant get embed code to work, I'm sick of people saying how bad the crusades were against muslims, when in reality, the crusades were an answer to persecution from muslims against christians.
edit on 5-3-2015 by Vortiki because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I agree with the OP.

Fundamentalist Muslims are not nearly evolved as those people that lived in the Dark (Middle) Ages.
edit on 2015/3/5 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Also, muslims are still stoning people to death, killing people for drawing a cartoon of their deity, decapitating people who don't follow their belief structure.

I don't see any other religious sects doing this today. The rest of us matured, muslims are still like caveman mentality. The extremist ones, I'm quite capable of recognizing not every single last muslim is a bad apple because the majority of them are violent.

So no, majority speaking, muslims are still in the dark ages, still murdering people in barbaric ways based on their religion. When was the last time you heard about christians running crusades and decapitating anyone? Or the last time you heard about a jew cutting someones head off for drawing a picture of moses?

Don't come at me with this "they are civilized more now than then" bull#e because it simply isn't true.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Gross ignorance of history.

The Crusades were called by the Pope in 1095 after over 300 YEARS of Muslim invasions, beginning in 721 with the Battle of Tours, when Muslims where invading the south of France.

The so called "Golden Age" in Spain was after Muslim invasions and exploitation of the local populations, where non-muslims had second-class citizen status.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Muslims had morality during the Christian dark ages..

So, Muslims never used to stone a woman to death for being raped, or they didn't force 9 year old girls into marrying dirty old men, little boys were not dressed up as girls and sodomised for fun, gay people were not killed, un-believers were left alone and not killed if they refused to join Islam, they didn't have millions of non-Muslim slaves, they didn't regularly beat their women or treat women as less than animals..?

Gee, Islam must have been the pillar of society back then, so where did they go wrong...?

/sarcasm off

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY

Now I disagree with that. The US until after WW2 is when the war was for profit vs an imminent danger to the US Mainland. Honestly I'm tired of the muslim population crying foul at the world all the time when they should be blaming themselves for not raising better people with common sense. The world is partially not responsible for all the hatred. It is Islams majority that are at fault for lack of teaching or keeping their herd in line.

You should read up on the War of 1812 then or the Spanish American war. If you think we started our imperialism with WWII, then your view of American history is sadly lacking. Heck our entire history fighting wars with the Natives is all about economic wars of expansion.

For god sakes you have religious zealots asking for the killing of people because they cant handle a cartoon picture. Or they stone a woman to death because she drives a car or wants to look beautiful...

I'm not excusing their behavior. I am JUST trying to point out that the cliche in the OP is incorrect.

That is what the world will NOT stand for.

The crusades were led by a person with an flawed ideal. Anyone can do that. Who ran the jews from Jeruselem? The muslims did.

You sum up the Crusades as a "flawed ideal", but allow yourself to blame all of the Muslims for running Jews out of Jerusalem? Talk about irony.

Both sides are at fault.

The only reason why Muslims are getting caught up more than ever is because the world we live in. It would be the same for any religion condoning violence.

I agree.

The few are making the majority look bad. The majority isn't speaking up enough or protesting about it.+

I agree.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

a reply to: greencmp

I never said they weren't violent. I said that comparing the Muslim world of today to the world of the Middle Ages is incorrect since the Muslim world of those times was in MUCH better shape and much more tolerant.

Tolerant?

Muslim conquests

Spread of Islam

Now that I have provided two links, I can close my case?

War has existed forever. Every country on earth engages in war. America has claimed to be the pillar of morality for the last 100 years yet hasn't had more than a few years not engaging in a war its entire existence. If you are going to give me links to wars to justify intolerance, you are going to need to back it up with some better reasoning.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join