It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ambassador Attacked in South Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

U.S. Ambassador to South Korea Mark Lippert was attacked in Seoul, possibly by more than one person, according to U.S. government sources in the U.S. and South Korea. He is in stable condition, according to a U.S. embassy spokesperson.

Lippert was injured by a small razor blade, according to Seoul police. His injuries are not life threatening, according to Marie Harf, a State Department spokeswoman. He received injuries on his right cheek and hand at about 5.42 p.m. ET, according to South Korean police.

The suspect -- believed to be in his 50s -- is detained and currently under investigation.

Ambassador Attacked in South Korea

I'm very surprised this guy had NO security! It's getting to the point where American's cannot leave the country, Ambassadors included! Unbelievable! I hope he's able to recover ok. My prayers are with him and his family at this time. It's more and more dangerous out there now. Very scary!

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Apparently, the suspect is named Kim, and he was involved in another attack a while back and was in prison for it. Something about throwing a concrete block at a Japanese Ambassador that time. Sounds like another whacko that happened to make it close.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I feel very sorry for this gentleman. However, the video did say he was attending a conference dealing with the uniting of north and south Korea. Right now I have a family member in the military who was sent to S. Korea last week for an "exercise". Not sure what's going on, but these people have had a lifetime of hating and fearing each other, so the idea of uniting the two opposites is probably going to bring out a lot of crazy.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I live in South Korea. Not sure, but I may be the only posting member from these parts, ATM.

The crazies are quite the problem. Have been for as long as I can remember. We had a doc get stabbed right in the heart just walking down the sidewalk. Another guy got a weight dropped on him from a high window.

Recently, the general public was upset by some American spokeswoman who said Korea just needs to 'let go' of the historical Japanese oppression. I don't know exactly who she was, but she certainly had no 'finger on the pulse' of how people feel over here.

Don't know if 'the slasher' is crazy or not. But, you can bet your bottom dollar if they're labeled as such, they're gonna get away with it.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
It's getting to the point where American's cannot leave the country, Ambassadors included! Unbelievable!

Lets not get too silly about this.
There are US ambassadors all over the world, and many with full American support staff. There is not some kind of pandemic of attacks against American citizens.

Hundreds of thousands of American citizens travel out of the US every month, traveling all over the world. This is one incident by one mad man in one country amongst millions of journeys by millions of people.

It seems to me that this was a random lunatic who has some kind of belief that the US is responsible for the division between north and south. Obviously this is not the case, the only think dividing north and south is the other lunatic and his cohorts currently presiding over a collapsed country built around an insane cult of personality.

The only thing people capable of changing this division are in the north. If we're lucky the people will revolt and install a new government, maybe then we'll see change in our lifetimes. If not, it could take centuries before a real leader who wants the best for his country finally takes power and decides to change things.
edit on 4-3-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
I live in South Korea. Not sure, but I may be the only posting member from these parts, ATM.

The crazies are quite the problem. Have been for as long as I can remember. We had a doc get stabbed right in the heart just walking down the sidewalk. Another guy got a weight dropped on him from a high window.

Recently, the general public was upset by some American spokeswoman who said Korea just needs to 'let go' of the historical Japanese oppression. I don't know exactly who she was, but she certainly had no 'finger on the pulse' of how people feel over here.

Don't know if 'the slasher' is crazy or not. But, you can bet your bottom dollar if they're labeled as such, they're gonna get away with it.

Thank you for the perspective of someone who is over there right now. That helps to bring things closer to view, so to speak. I really appreciate that. Can you keep up on the news there and keep us updated if they the news here drop it? I'd be curious as to what happens whether he is crazy, not crazy, what time he gets or doesn't get, etc... Thanks in advance.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

Thank you for the perspective of someone who is over there right now. That helps to bring things closer to view, so to speak. I really appreciate that. Can you keep up on the news there and keep us updated if they the news here drop it? I'd be curious as to what happens whether he is crazy, not crazy, what time he gets or doesn't get, etc... Thanks in advance.

I probably can't bring much to the table. I can tell you that it made the news as 'a fact' ... but it was not immediately condemned ... and that bothers the crap out of me. I held back my personal opinion on the matter, and what would happen if I had any say so (because it's not relevant).

The South Koreans need Americans on this peninsula to keep the North from invading and to keep their economy propped up (they're doing quite well ... better than they should IMVHO). No telling how this will be handled as it falls into the political spectrum and won't be 'just another' street crime.

The ambassador is a relatively young guy and will carry his scars for a very very long time.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I probably can't bring much to the table. I can tell you that it made the news as 'a fact' ... but it was not immediately condemned ... and that bothers the crap out of me. I held back my personal opinion on the matter, and what would happen if I had any say so (because it's not relevant).

The South Koreans need Americans on this peninsula to keep the North from invading and to keep their economy propped up (they're doing quite well ... better than they should IMVHO). No telling how this will be handled as it falls into the political spectrum and won't be 'just another' street crime.

The ambassador is a relatively young guy and will carry his scars for a very very long time.

I should be surprised that there hasn't been an uproar, but sadly, I'm not. And people wonder why I'm such a pessimist. Shame.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
It's more and more dangerous out there now. Very scary!

According to the some of the highest ranking government officials you are wrong. Even our very trustworthy president Mr Obama has said the world is safer than it's been in a long time. It's social media like twitter that make it seem that way. There are always countries being overthrown by terrorist, Super powers with Nuclear weapons snatching up parts of sovereign countries, embassies being evacuated every other month & sometimes attacked like Benghazi, ect ect. We just see it now as were it was hidden before.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
He'll be fine. If his attacker had intended to do serious harm, he wouldn't be limping it off so easy.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
He'll be fine. If his attacker had intended to do serious harm, he wouldn't be limping it off so easy.

According to the news, the Ambassador used to be a Navy Seal. I'm sure some of that training came in handy that day as well and helped to save his life.

top topics

join