It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to those who say being gay is a choice?

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Stupid argument.
They are not alive and it was a different time.
You want to go back to times where you can buy a slave? no womens vote?.

Remind me never to visit your backward thinking state.
Can't wait when it is made law using the constitution of the USA for your state to accept gay marriage.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Stupid argument.
They are not alive and it was a different time.

Tell that to Lucid Lunacy.

Remind me never to visit your backward thinking state.
Can't wait when it is made law using the constitution of the USA for your state to accept gay marriage.

Umm... it is legal here.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   

In Mississippi?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Interesting article from Mississippi. 2014

Sore Winners: Christian Group Offended by Mississippi Businesses That Won't Discriminate Against Gays

Not all Mississippi businesses plan to take advantage of a new law making it easier to discriminate against LGBT people in the name of religion. The American Family Association, apparently, would like to change that.

In a blog post published this week, the fundamentalist Christian activist group printed a list of what they called "Mississippi businesses that discriminate against religious freedom." That list, which the anti-LGBT group says is "taken directly from a pro-homosexual website," includes a number of businesses in the state who have agreed to display the sticker at right in their window. That sticker clarifies that the business in question will not refuse to serve a customer because of his or her sexual orientation.

The AFA believes this amounts to discrimination against Christians who might want to refuse to serve LGBT people in the state: "Ironically,this sticker represents the very promotion of discrimination...against the freedom of religious convictions. Businesses that display this sticker believe Christians should be forced, by law, to embrace homosexuality and deny their faith in personal business practices."

www.thewire.com...

edit on 8-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Good gawd. Ridiculous. If they're not like those who refuse service, who instead welcome 'others' to shop with them - the Christians who want to discriminate are pissed off about it?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Annee

Good gawd. Ridiculous. If they're not like those who refuse service, who instead welcome 'others' to shop with them - the Christians who want to discriminate are pissed off about it?

Oh yeah!

There are states now passing or trying to pass laws that businesses can't do something like this. Laws making it illegal to stand up against discrimination laws.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Let's see if we can work through this logically.

In MS, Christians (and other religions) are allowed to refuse ANYTHING that doesn't comply with their religious beliefs.

If Christian (or other adherent) posts something in their window that states, specifically, that they will do business with certain groups (in line with that whole "my business my rules" thing) ... then they're somehow attacking Christians as well???

Do I have that right???

So, the only thing certain Mississippi Christians will accept is 100% compliance with their interpretation of their law which sets up special rights?

Who would ever think these folks want a totalitarian theocracy ... I ask you.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
Hooray for fascism!

Hang on, I'm confused.
You think that companies making a business choice about where to operate because of unfair laws in a state is "fascism", or that companies wanting to support the rights of their employees against unfair abuse and discrimination by a religious group is fascism, but the notion of a religious group inflicting laws on a population to directly attack a minority within that population is not fascism?

Are you pulling my leg? Surely no one on ATS is this... okay, maybe you really are this nonsensical.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I don't think he knows what it actually means.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

It's legal there? Why can't I find that?

Here's what I found: It seems more that they WANT it to be, but that it is in appeals.

13 States Ban Same-Sex Marriage

12 by Constitutional Amendment and State Law
Arkansas (2004, 1997), Georgia (2004, 1996), Kentucky (2004, 1998), Louisiana (2004, 1999), Michigan (2004, 1996), Mississippi (2004, 1997), Missouri (2004, 1996), North Dakota (2004, 1997), Ohio (2004, 2004), South Dakota (2006, 1996), Tennessee (2006, 1996), Texas (2005, 1997)

and

8 states where gay marriage bans have been overturned, but where appeals are in progress...
MISSISSIPPI – On Nov. 25, 2014, US District Judge Carlton Reeves ruled the state's gay marriage ban unconstitutional, but stayed his own ruling, pending expected appeals.

What do you think will happen with the 'appeals'? What would you LIKE to have happen?

edit on 3/8/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

Woops - Here's the source - gaymarriage.procon.org...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Let's see if we can work through this logically.

In MS, Christians (and other religions) are allowed to refuse ANYTHING that doesn't comply with their religious beliefs.

If Christian (or other adherent) posts something in their window that states, specifically, that they will do business with certain groups (in line with that whole "my business my rules" thing) ... then they're somehow attacking Christians as well???

Do I have that right???

So, the only thing certain Mississippi Christians will accept is 100% compliance with their interpretation of their law which sets up special rights?

Who would ever think these folks want a totalitarian theocracy ... I ask you.

This is what the religious right, and Republican blowhards, are famous for.

They claim that they have the right to discriminate against all kinds of people, but the moment others stand up against it they then start ranting about how they are being discriminated against. They claim that there's a "liberal conspiracy" against them having the right to discriminate against others.

The good news about these laws (the ones they now want to create to force companies and individuals to join them in their bigotry and discrimination) will mean that eventually the Federal government will have no choice but to intervene. Ultimately, if it doesn't, these states will spiral into a chaos of random laws being enacted to attack various groups of people, or to defend other groups of people from attack...

This is what was predicted right at the start when these states started their process of placing Christians above all others as a "superior race". People said from the beginning that it would open a Pandora's Box of competing actions which would then all need to be legislated against, and that it would ultimately all end with the federal government smacking these states down and passing national laws designed to protect everyone from discrimination.

Mark my words, various states will pass various laws permitting the discrimination of LGBT people, attempting to ram their religious authority down everyones throats, and the federal government will have no choice but to stop it.

I predict that within the next 18 months all of these states will be forced to reverse their discrimination laws and be forced to comply with national anti-discrimination legislation.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hey, I think it's great! No listen.

Mississippi is such a wasteland, what this really means is that certain radicalized religious groups who are looking to impose their draconian religious judicial system can move to MS and set up shop! The state goverment, in jumping through hoops trying to legally discriminate against 1-10% of its citizens, has just set itself up to become a theocratic paradise!

Just imagine the new State motto: Come to Mississippi, home of the First American Caliphate! Brought to you by your Mississippi Legislature and the Prophet, Peace be Upon Him!

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Wait so I was right? you can't have a gay wedding in Mississippi?.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Apparently so!

On Nov. 25, 2014, US District Judge Carlton Reeves ruled the state's gay marriage ban unconstitutional, but stayed his own ruling, pending expected appeals.

The Judge must have been scared. He said it was unconstitutional to BAN IT, but stayed his own ruling.
That's what I call 'fear of retaliation' and 'fear of being voted off the bench.'

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Marriage equality was established in MS in 2014.

The State Legislature responded with the "Mississippi Religious Freedom Restoration Act" which states that no law can put any burden on anyone's religious beliefs.

Link to the bill here.

AN ACT TO ENACT THE MISSISSIPPI RELIGIOUS FREEDOM RESTORATION
2 ACT; TO PROVIDE THAT STATE ACTION OR AN ACTION BY ANY PERSON BASED
3 ON STATE ACTION SHALL NOT BURDEN A PERSON'S RIGHT TO THE EXERCISE
4 OF RELIGION;

(a) "Burden" means any action that directly or
14 indirectly constrains, inhibits, curtails or denies the exercise
15 of religion by any person or compels any action contrary to a
16 person's exercise of religion.

"Exercise of religion" means the practice or
24 observance of religion. "Exercise of religion" includes, but is
25 not limited to, the ability to act or the refusal to act in a
26 manner that is substantially motivated by one's sincerely held
27 religious belief, whether or not the exercise is compulsory or
28 central to a larger system of religious belief.

It also placed the words "In God We Trust" on the State Seal of Mississippi if anyone was confused about the intention to trounce the Separation of Church and State in MS.
edit on 13Sun, 08 Mar 2015 13:43:39 -050015p012015366 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

R%uddy bone75 never ever will I believe anything he says again.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I was mistaken.

MS does not support marriage equality.

MARRIAGE EQUALITY
This state does not support

State does not issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

MARRIAGE PROHIBITIONS
This state does support

State has a constitutional amendment restricting marriage to one man and one woman.

HRC - Mississippi

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
FreedomtoMarry.org - Mississippi

Anti-marriage constitutional amendment; a federal judge has ruled that the amendment is unconstitutional, and the decision is now on appeal to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, with the ruling stayed for 14 days from November 25.

WHAT'S HAPPENING:
On November 25, 2014, U.S. District Court Judge Carlton W. Reeves ruled in this federal legal case that denying the freedom to marry to same-sex couples in Mississippi is unconstitutional. The ruling is stayed for 14 days as the state prepares to appeal to the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals. Read more about marriage litigation in Mississippi.

(I truly regret providing non-factual information above based on my own memory.)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You don't have to apologize, Gryph.

Apparently even residents of MS don't know what the hell is going on.
I was actually surprised to see that my own state was not on the list of "banners" of same-sex marriage.

So - the 14 days have come and gone - many weeks ago - 3 months ago - actually!
and no change. Hmmmm.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Oh you will pay for your dis info sir oh yes maybe not today maybe not tmr but soon.

Only joking dude we all make mistakes no apology needed

new topics

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40 >>

join