It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to those who say being gay is a choice?

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: RobinB022
a reply to: LoveSolMoonDeath

They are not murderers/pedo/alcoolic: they fall in LOVE with the same sex, that's all! For everythings left they are just like you and me. Why can't people just get that? What are they afraid of?

Nobody said that homosexuals were the same as pedophiles, murderers, hetero, or anything at all.

The question was put forth; Is it a choice-and some people asked if other things were a choice. Nobody is comparing being a homosexual to anything whatsoever.. only if there were a choice in other matters.

Those taking it out of context are either misunderstanding or searching to troll.

Trolling?

Here's one:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

two:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and so on. Not even gave a search effort.

People use the 'logic' arguments (like in: you wear a strip tshirt, eat veg, so you must be a zebra), to tie homosexuality with crimes or grave misconduct to then be able to make it look bad/sin. Enough please and ACCEPT the difference.

edit on 2015 3 7 by LoveSolMoonDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: boymonkey74

Anyway my point stands... Atheists are much more anti-gay than Christians. Perhaps not here because you all have an image to uphold, but n the real world that's exactly how it is.

Im agnostic but I was brought up in a Christian environment and I can tell you that I see more negativity from the religious side than the non religious in regards to this topic. When was the last time you heard of owners who are atheists banning gays from their hotels(B&b) ? Im sure everyone is aware of the Christian couple who were in the news not long ago who did just that .. Sure could just be a minority but in my experiance I see It more with people who follow religion than who don't

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Sorry , quote fail

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I look at it logically, Reproduction comes through male and female intercourse. My thoughts of un-natural means, in regards to anything other than said intercourse, is wrong.

People would take your point of view a little more seriously, if people like yourself did not seem so holier than thou, or above everyone else. Yes I know it is on the other side, but as my grandmother always said: "Two wrongs don't make a right."

On a side note: The advertisement of the gay lifestyle is rampant. It should not be seen by our young, In fact I see it as a perversion, and people who promote it to anyone under the age of 18 should be charged with pedophilia.
edit on 7-3-2015 by LeoStarchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Anyway my point stands... Atheists are much more anti-gay than Christians. Perhaps not here because you all have an image to uphold, but n the real world that's exactly how it is.

I'm atheist.

You base your opinion on what?

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
While we're citing nothing more than anecdotal evidence and personal opinion as fact, I'll just say that we atheists and non-theists and anti-theists are some of the most intelligent most critical thinkers I've ever known. They are also some of the least patient with foolishness, as a rule, and, sadly in some cases, have lost empathy for their "enemies."

In fact, there's a lot of similarities between that latter group and many fundamentalist Christians I have known.

Moderate and liberal Christians? Some of the best people on the planet. Mostly well-educated, excellent thinkers.

Vastly different from the average fundamentalist, of any religion, who is so against science, education and intellect because their beliefs just don't hold up to rational scrutiny they have to reject reason itself.

My experience only; your mileage may vary.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeoStarchild
a reply to: Gryphon66
It should not be seen by our young, In fact I see it as a perversion, and people who promote it to anyone under the age of 18 should be charged with pedophilia.

I absolutely agree with this. For some reason people seem to think children should be taught about sexual orientation at a young age and that's mind boggling to me. Of course they will always argue that they are right and everyone else is wrong. When it comes to children there are boundaries that shouldn't be crossed, teaching them about sexual orientation is crossing that line.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If you don''t teach kids they will grow up as intolerant as some here.
Kids can handle it very well and don't give a toss really.

Oh and lol at the little dude saying about the first proposal...Justin Bieber asked a man to marry him lol.
edit on 7-3-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: cj6
a reply to: Inthewakeofdark

I've said before I believe a person can make the "choice" of their sexuality subconsciously and then consciously accept that and act upon it. Still makes it a choice.

I understand this thought process, however I'm not sure If you and I are really giving mutual consideration to the ideas being presented. You are saying that a conscious choice and a unconscious decision are exactly the same thing, however I thought I had clearly made a point to say that they are very different processes.

It isn't just semantics, the things that actually happen in the mind during these two are radically different. When the subconscious mind makes a decision, it does not interact with the "pilot seat," of your mind that gives equal consideration to things before an action is taken. It's because it can't, the very word is definitive of how it interacts with these things, It's "unconscious."

But maybe it still sounds vague, so lets discover a bit. The unconscious mind, is in a sense... asleep at the wheel... so what is driving it? Emotions that have yet to rise to the surface.... The unconscious mind is indeed somewhat responsible for the decisions that we make, but it's made up of dozens of factors that we don't consciously identify with, so in one sense it is a you who you have not met. The you, who you know yourself as, is the person who actually Identifies with the word "choice," because you know your making it. So the two are very different.

Truth is Cj6, from what I had read, my situation is very similar to yours, but I guess the point I am trying to make is that not everyone is like us. From what it sounds, you have always been exposed to your unconscious choices, as I have. I apologize if I misunderstand and generalize, but If it's true then I must admit that the viewpoints that you are presenting are similar to "how I used to think" (not patronizing I swear) But I realized at some point that if I wanted to enjoy my sexuality that I must in a sense let go of the conscious choice and come back to a place that just feels right, as you, with women. I would like to differentiate that this mechanism to me kind of is an example of letting go of conscious choice and coming back to allowing your unconscious to work for you and discover.

Many gays, have not at all had this process and have had felt readily "right" about being gay, and in that sense, the same as us.... had no choice. You do what feels right, and you cannot change that. Therefore it is not a choice, but depends on you emotions, your unconscious, and your environment.

The emotional factor as others have said, I believe is very important makeup of this.... It removes the concept of choice, and gives identity to the individual past a sense of having intellectual property of yourelf, but not in a way that limits you, but fulfills your ability to be unique as a person.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: LeoStarchild
The advertisement of the gay lifestyle is rampant. It should not be seen by our young, In fact I see it as a perversion, and people who promote it to anyone under the age of 18 should be charged with pedophilia.

ANNOYING! ----- another one using the children to support their personal ignorance and prejudice.

My 7 year old knows gay is boys liking boys and girls liking girls ---- and that's OK. Do I tell him about hetero sex? NO.

I teach the kids: "PEOPLE ARE THEIR HEART".
edit on 7-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoveSolMoonDeath

People use the 'logic' arguments (like in: you wear a strip tshirt, eat veg, so you must be a zebra), to tie homosexuality with crimes or grave misconduct to then be able to make it look bad/sin. Enough please and ACCEPT the difference.

Don't you see how you are the one who doesn't understand the difference? You all are the ones who keep saying pedophilia is a crime when it isn't. Raping or even having consensual sex with a prepubescent child is a crime, pedophilia is a sexual orientation (the attraction to children) that deviates from the norm, just like zoophilia, just like necrophilia, and like it or not... just like homosexuality. No one has ever been charged with pedophilia by the way.

I didn't make the comparison to demonize homosexuals, I made it to support both the OP's claim that being gay isn't a choice, and my claim that it is a sickness. (okay "sickness" may have been a bad choice of words, but nobody's perfect).

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LeoStarchild

Thank you for your unsolicited advice regarding my popularity, unimportant and off-topic though it may be.

By your own definition, at least 80% of human sexuality (anything not leading to procreation) is "wrong and un-natural."

On your side note, where do you live, Castro Street in San Francisco?

Give me a break.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Really? They will learn about sexual orientation at an APPROPRIATE age. That doesn't mean they will be intolerant, it just means they have a chance to keep their innocence and enjoy childhood. Sexual orientation is a mature matter that should only be addressed when they have the mental capacity to fully understand it. So you say a child doesn't have to the capacity to give consent yet they somehow have the capacity to understand sexual orientation? That's ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: cj6

Did you watch the video.....thought not.
These kids have more tolerance and understanding then many here...I think many could learn from them.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I'm atheist.

That wasn't an opinion, it was a personal observation by someone who still lives in the real world.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74
If you don''t teach kids they will grow up as intolerant as some here.
Kids can handle it very well and don't give a toss really

For sure. When my granddaughter was 9, she asked us: "Does gay mean a boy likes a boy and a girl likes a girl?"

We said: "Yes".

She said: "Oh" ---- then turned around and ran outside to play.

That was it.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: cj6

Yes Iam saying that.
Kids can understand sexual orientation but can not give consent to have sex.
What do you want to do not tell kids about the fact gay folk exist? not to teach them of tolerance? Of love?.
The sex part of course that is for a later date..

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I'm atheist.

That wasn't an opinion, it was a personal observation by someone who still lives in the real world.

How many atheists have you personally encountered in this real world of yours --- to make this observation?

edit on 7-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Watching the video again my fave quote from a little girl is.

"I'm a Christian I don't think it is wrong".

or when asked what would you say to people who don't believe in gay marriage.

"Cry me a river build a bridge and get over it" lol.

From the mouth of babes.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Inthewakeofdark

originally posted by: cj6
a reply to: Inthewakeofdark

I've said before I believe a person can make the "choice" of their sexuality subconsciously and then consciously accept that and act upon it. Still makes it a choice.

I understand this thought process, however I'm not sure If you and I are really giving mutual consideration to the ideas being presented. You are saying that a conscious choice and a unconscious decision are exactly the same thing, however I thought I had clearly made a point to say that they are very different processes.

No I never said they were the same. In fact I later stated that the subconscious mind and the conscious mind can have opposing ideals. But we cannot change or control what our subconscious tells us, we can only CHOOSE to accept what it tells us or not. If something in your subconscious tells you something is wrong...yet you consciously believe it is right...then you have made a choice to rely on your conscious mind rather than your subconscious mind.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join