It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question to those who say being gay is a choice?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: cj6

But when the shoe fits....

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

But when the shoe fits....

lol I'm not a bigot. I won't bother with the definition since you want to be ignorant of the fact. I don't hate or feel superior to anybody and not supporting someone's cause does NOT mean you hate them.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Faggot is a slang word.

Bigot is a legitimate word.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Did I call you a bigot? I said when the shoe fits....
But you assuming I did call you that tells me much.

link   
a reply to: Puppylove

THUMBS UP!
I appreciate your post because you are encouraging others to question the factors that result in a said behavior, and you acknowledge that homosexuality itself is a result of factors, as heterosexuality itself may be. The most difficult thing for self Identified heterosexuals to understand that the very question aimed towards homosexual behavior is just as justifiably aimed at them. "Is homosexuality a choice?" then of course if true: "Heterosexuality is a choice."

However, as you say, things are always going to be more complex,rich, and interesting than that. People have individual stories, and passion is not the only thing that accounts for a personal attraction.

a reply to: Onslaught2996
This is relating to the threads original query, as you know, aimed towards people who answer yes to the above question. For them, most often the case, the answer is no, this includes the thread authors answer. However, instead of delegating from a sense of false certainty, he actually offers the sense of equality that is usually reserved for ones own sexual preference. Thus we have this thread. Thankyou Onslaught2996!!!

Anyways a recap on the original question

If being gay is a choice as some would have us believe, then does that mean at some point in their life they were attracted to both sexes but chose to like the opposite?

This is complicated because even though I believe that the simplest and most truthful answer would be complicated enough, along the lines of

Decisions are made unconsciously by the human mind at all times, however conscious choice does always include a connection to these levels of decision making, so in general conscious choice usually is not included in the processes that occur in defining personal attraction.

The only problem is that there is always a big HUGE HOWEVER because regardless any specification/truth it is is all generalization when confronted by the large complexity of nature of consciousness, and the truth of the question is simply a curiousity of what is actually going on with a seperate sexuality, which to me, always denotes a urge to discover the self. This is positive, so lets answer YES SEXUALITY IS ALSO A CHOICE! *gasp* Which is a part of the "However," in the sense that whatever caused a person to look inward must be truthful.

Onslaught2996, you may disagree with me, but your question to me, is a sign of your questioning of the unconsicous desires involved in your life. This about discovering the process that controls the unconscious decisions that denote your sexual preference, and coming into awareness and making the same decisions, from a new and awakened sense of conscious choice, as opposed to having made the decision emotionally, unconsciously, and then acknowledging it about yourself afterward. I may be wrong, but this is true for everyone, not all come into contact with their conscious choice, but I talk about it because I have noticed that it is where this question comes from.

For some homosexual men that I have known, it seems as if it happens in a process of reverse, and I think this deserves to be looked at because when trying to talk about their processes and early life... most people misunderstand and do not give credit to it being as natural as heterosexual love/desire, and interpret it as "choice" because it does not make sense to them. ITS BECAUSE ITS THE SAME EMOTIONS HAPPENING IN A DIFFERENT WAY. There are obviously exceptions to this too, but I won't get in to that.

Alot of people are given a chance to engage what is emotionally natural for them, alot of times this is a heterosexual relationship, so the people involved with this kind of engagement do not ever have to come in to consciousness about these ideas of choice.

The reverse process that I was talking about is where the person is not able to connect naturally, and by naturally, I mean ease of access. These kinds of engagements are difficult to find because there is so much judgement and withholding involved in the lives around them, and alot of times these people attempt to find love in ways that are not as emotionally meaningful to them, and yet they are able to notice their love coming from some part of themselves and still able to validate their existence. Then of course they find away to share these feelings with a partner, and find that they were making a conscious choice to change to a "truer, sexuality. However this "truer sexuality" was always the more meaningful to them, they didn't suddenly become straight, or gay.

I hope this to give some insight to what is going on in the chaos of personal sexuality, and to help encourage self questioning. It's okay to wonder what it would be like to love the same sex, even if that is not your natural choice, it does not make you gay. You may end up sharing something in common with someone who is gay, but it will be more about your understanding, than that of your own personal choice. Remember also, that no matter how much one can describe functions, the greater truth will always be indescribable, its on this level that all of us are gay straight and sexless at once. We are all just on different hypes, all here to discover and explore different things....

cj6

link   

originally posted by: Annee
Faggot is a slang word.

Bigot is a legitimate word.

However both ARE derogatory terms and offensive.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Inthewakeofdark

I've said before I believe a person can make the "choice" of their sexuality subconsciously and then consciously accept that and act upon it. Still makes it a choice.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: cj6

I've said before I believe a person can make the "choice" of their sexuality subconsciously and then consciously accept that and act upon it. Still makes it a choice.

Nothing backs that up if you are talking about sexual orientation.

Can a straight man choose to have same sex? Yes.

Can a gay man choose to have straight sex? Yes.

But, that has nothing to do with what their body makeup tells them which gender they are attracted to.

There is enough research to know there are indicators that sexual orientation is inherent.

It has nothing to do with their subconscious.

edit on 7-3-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Can you effectively back up a decision that is made in the subconscious mind? It would be pretty hard. Maybe I'm right or maybe I'm wrong, when it comes to the subconscious it will always be a theory, no? I thought the question was whether or not the feelings of homosexuality were a choice....I believe it could POSSIBLY be a subconscious choice. Can't prove that but also can't disprove it.

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

But, that has nothing to do with what their body makeup tells them which gender they are attracted to.

There is enough research to know there are indicators that sexual orientation is inherent.

I like how you state that subconscious has nothing to do with as if it's a definite point. No one has ever proven scientifically that the subconscious has nothing to do with sexual orientation because it's almost impossible to determine EXACTLY how our subconscious works. Let's not make deciding factors here. I simply stated it was a possibility, you're saying it's a fact when it is not.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

I like how you state that subconscious has nothing to do with as if it's a definite point. No one has ever proven scientifically that the subconscious has nothing to do with sexual orientation because it's almost impossible to determine EXACTLY how our subconscious works. Let's not make deciding factors here. I simply stated it was a possibility, you're saying it's a fact when it is not.

At this point you have a baseless opinion of something you don't want to accept. And are trying to find a way to justify it.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I agree even when he has been shown the evidence....

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

So I have to accept that the subconscious mind has nothing to do with sexual orientation? And my opinion is baseless but what is YOUR opinion based on exactly???

link   
a reply to: akushla99

because there was a point at which they questioned thier own proclivity...that would seem to place thier feet firmly in thier mouths...

As a heterosexual, I don't EVER remember making any 'choice'...

(Me, neither.)

I think it's known as a "Come-to-Jesus Meet'n".

cj6

link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

lol what evidence??? I've only seen other peoples opinions....

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I did post evidence before in the thread....
You even responded to it...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

cj6

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

That's not evidence. Those are the theories of some doctor who has done research but has NOT shown irrefutable proof of his claims. You do know what irrefutable proof is right??? Doesn't matter you'll probably ignore that. Your doctor is not an all-knowing God, he has theories and opinions...nothing more. Again I've said my opinion is simply that, an opinion, not a fact just a possibility. But I guess YOU have it all figured out. Let's bow down to this guy!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Erm no it is actual science.
It isn't just opinion it has been tested....much more than your theory of it is a subconscious choice...the doctor has evidence you have none.
To just dismiss this evidence just shows you can not be reasoned with and will not change your mind because for some reason you can't accept that it isn't a choice.

edit on 7-3-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I did post evidence before in the thread....
You even responded to it...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

There are many things people accept that science can not prove definitively.

There is scientific research of sexual orientation where "indicators" point to it being inherent.

Not to mention thousands of personal testimonies.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I agree I know many gay folk and have gay uncles and everyone of them has said they were always gay.
Tell me CJ6 why don't you believe them?.

new topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join