It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unnecessary Beauty?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What motivates a mother bird to build her beautiful nest or the spider her wonderous web? What drives us to create beauty? Is it an unnecessary beauty? After all, wouldn't an ugly web still catch insects? How come we can recognize beauty when we encounter it?
Why does it impact us the way it does? What drives us to pursue it?

This drive appears to be universal. It appears that this desire is born out of the hope that out of ashes and destruction new life can arise. That wilted blooms will once again fill the air with their life giving fragrance.This overwhelming optimism embraces our very existence. It gives us hope!

It is what drives artists to create. For when they create beauty they are reaffirming that hope. Artists create beauty for themselves and also to share that hope. Art is the instrument that allows beauty to transform us. It is this drive that unites all artists in a holy endeavor.

With our eyes and hands we color, shape, paint, mold, bend, bead and sew and reveal beauty to a world that is often dark and gloomy. It is not that artists ignore the dark and the terrible around us. In fact we often expose it. However, when the color of light is brushed across a canvas our eyes see and our minds remember that it is light that reveals beauty. The pigment speaks to us and reveals the substance of hope. Beauty is created and presented as a testimony to that hope.

Is there such a thing as unnecessary beauty? No! We need every bit of it, every work and every piece is to be prized. From every child's self-portrait to the photo of the 93 year old's birthday party. Beauty provokes a passion for life and is comprehended within the context of emotions. Emotions give us the sacred language to describe it.

Beauty gives us hope and art brings meaning to life. Art makes life worth living.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: grayeagle

I enjoyed.

Look forward to more.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Well done! This sums it up nicely,
"Beauty gives us hope and art brings meaning to life. Art makes life worth living."

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Thanks man! I started ruminating on this one about 2:30 am the other night. I woke up and the thought about beauty gives us hope was going over and over in my head and I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep until I wrote something down. Things often come to me in this manner. I have grown to accept that and what's a little loss of sleep in the bigger picture?
Peace to you my friend. I am looking forward to something new from your pen as well.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Well cheers to losing some sleep to better the big picture!! I think of a lot of stuff right before I fall asleep, but don't write down anything. I need to keep paper and pen on my nightstand maybe......
I have some new stuff in My profile You may like. A few short stories I wrote earlier this year and more...... You know, click the little green guy. LOL!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Ummm...I have to agree GrayEagle...beauty is almost like oxygen...it's part and parcel of curiosity and wonder...You have summed up what it means to appreciate very succinctly...Thank you again for another glimpse into the soul of...a fellow "Eternity Road Traveler"...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Thanks again for stopping by. I did go to your profile and checked out your writing.

I enjoy your writing so look forward to more!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I welcome everyone one on this journey! You never know who you will meet and walk with.

It is good to know there are others like yourself!

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Hey Thanx for Stopping By My Profile! I appreciate it!
Telling Me You Enjoy My Writing is appreciated as Well,
and helps Me realize what I do is worth the time and effort of doing it!

Thank you! Syx.

new topics

top topics

join