It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

experimental protocol to detect gravitons formally proposed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
phys.org...

also the paper:

journals.aps.org...

in general relativity Einstein modeled gravity as a curvature of space time. hence no provision is made for the existance of gravitons and many people believe that there are no gravitons as a result. however Quantum Mechanics (QM) has gravitons and General Relativity (GR or GRT) is at odds with QM in that and other ways. eventually the two theories will need to be reconciled.

generally when physicists do occasionally acknowledge that gravitons may exist they say it would take a detector the size and mass of jupiter to capture one graviton event in say a 100 years or so.

well this paper proposes a much more sensitive route base in part on information from gravity probe B that confirms theoretical links between electromagnetism and gravity and making use of magnified coupling resulting from exotic states of matter such as bose condensates and so forth. and the casimir effect. musn't forget that.

when i first read the article several of the implications eluded me but once pointed out to me i was able to reconsider. *IF* this works it may be possible to amplify graviton interactions with matter and energy in useful ways. gravity telescopes and sensors and possibly more scifi-ish uses.
edit on 4-3-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: trying to attach stuff. didn't work.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

Quantum Mechanics, is like many other so called "scientific" stuff today ... it's religion in disguise. Big Bang is one of these "religions" in disguise stuff ... so is QM. It's just "Ether" in disguise ... put on paper to appear so complicated, that nobody cares to bother with it, except the "priesthood".

I remember first when the accelerator stuff was talked about, it was a bit funny to read people smashing apples, to see the smallest piece of the it. Never did it occurr to them, anymore than to the creators of the telescope, that at a certain point there is danger that it actually is a microscope.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Ah the surveillance state, they are still stealing ideas, I posited the same ideas on ATS about two years ago. It doesn't really matter, from what I have seen, Einstein may have actually succeeded in unifying gravity and QM, this then may have given rise to technology to see into the future, which only the power elite have access to.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
That unified theory does makes sense. A magnetic field is bipolar and has the field strength according to the inverse cubed law. The gravity field is monopole and has the field strength according to the inverse squared law. Then you have all those other nuclear forces that only exist inside the nucleus since they are of such a high power.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

I think the building of a superconducting material that will act as a mirror to gravity would be just as big an accomplishment as the proving of the gravitons he wants to prove.

Seductive idea.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

Quantum Mechanics, is like many other so called "scientific" stuff today ... it's religion in disguise. Big Bang is one of these "religions" in disguise stuff ... so is QM. It's just "Ether" in disguise ... put on paper to appear so complicated, that nobody cares to bother with it, except the "priesthood".

So because you don't understand it that means it's religion and the physicists are actually priests.

Alrighty then. Did you really have to derail the thread immediately with some anti-science, pro-religion spin?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
if a graviton is detected using a protocol based on maxwellian equations it means gravity is subject to the same sorts of technological manipulation as electricity because it would of necessity follow maxwellian rules. Which potentially means amplification, gravity diodes, tractor beams, "anti"gravity of some sort, inertial dampers and every thing else on every sci fi geeks wish list.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: deloprator20000
Ah the surveillance state, they are still stealing ideas, I posited the same ideas on ATS about two years ago. It doesn't really matter, from what I have seen, Einstein may have actually succeeded in unifying gravity and QM, this then may have given rise to technology to see into the future, which only the power elite have access to.
Einstein did not do anything of the sort other than generate a perpetual status quo with his flawed GR hypothesis

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Einstein actually tried really really hard to include Mach's ideas on inertia and gravity in relativity. he called it Mach's Principle. he coined the term. he probably delayed publication while fighting with finding a way to get it in there. He gave up.

new topics

top topics

join