It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson: Prisons prove being gay is a choice

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   
originally posted by: dismanrc
a reply to: Honcho

Many battered women stay with the same man who is beating and torturing them. Why is that?

Women end up being relentlessly threatened and intimidated. If they try and leave that may result in their life. Plus, over time they begin to exhibit signs of stockholm syndrome.

Many people around the world are tortured and killed because of the religion they believe in. Why don't they change their religion?

People have convinced themselves that they are apart of the true faith. They continue to believe because they view god will ultimately protect them. If they die? Well they think they'll just end up serving their theology and practically become a martyr. The abundance of "evil" around them will only fuel their faith even more.

As far as having attractions to both genders. Don't all people have a form of attraction to both genders at birth? Did you love you mom more then your dad when you where young? Is not love a universal feeling?

Yes, you can love your friends and family, although this is not a romantic love. You can love people in different ways. A heterosexual male can love a heterosexual woman, yet have no physical/sexual attraction to them, or vice versa. A homosexual male and heterosexual male can love each other, yet have no physical/sexual attraction. People love each other because they care for each other. They're people who they can count on, and who have always been there for them. Companionship and romance are not one in the same. You look for different experiences within each of them.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Honcho

Many people around the world are tortured and killed because of the religion they believe in. Why don't they change their religion?

People have convinced themselves that they are apart of the true faith. They continue to believe because they view god will ultimately protect them. If they die? Well they think they'll just end up serving their theology and practically become a martyr. The abundance of "evil" around them will only fuel their faith even more.

There are far more factors as well. I would argue that ego also comes into play. When you're in church, they will tell you that their faith is the "hard way", and that you will be taking the "difficult path". So it becomes a struggle of conformity, where you don't want to choose to not be a person of faith because you're so much stronger than all these people who fall off the bus; you will believe even if it's completely and utterly debunked in front of your own eye, because faith (I seriously remember thinking this way based on this doctrine, and it's embarassing).

Then there's the emotional relief of being able to believe that a loved one who has passed on will be seen again, that they did not waste their time being chaste, and that their parents were right about everything.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Anyways, the funniest part to me is the reaction from the American people on the Youtube Comments

The #1 liked comment is:

You're going to be hated for your beliefs, Dr. Carson, but kudos and good on you for standing up for them. It's necessary and needs to be present in such an arena because few others will stand up like that and defend the position. Let the hateful names people call you for simply having an opinion that doesn't agree with theirs, slide right off of you. They amount to little more than hypocrisy.

America: where you're an inspiration if you say something completely retarded.
edit on 20-3-2015 by DeadFoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stuship

Exactly, everything is opinion because there is no proof. So the entire point of this thread is to try to discredit a man who's education level is 10x the average person on this website with 100% opinion.

And there is no way he could possibly be wrong because he has 10X times the education level of of anyone on this website? How much of his education is centered around Criminal Justice or Penology?

This is a conspiracy website, so maybe you should be open-minded to both sides of the conspiracy. Those who say it is, and those who say it isn't.

Thank you for reminding me I must accept your opinion regardless of my position and experience.

So I have family members who's prison experience had very little to do with rape, and more to do with fighting. They also stayed in the Texas State Prison system. The entire rape thing is 100% hyped according to them. Being put up to fight someone for under 2 minutes so the guards won't intervene however is very real. The gang system is very real.

So, your family members experiences prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that rape is not prevalent and is 100% hyped, according to them? Thank God. I guess we can now take your family members before Congress and tell them the Prison Rape Elimination Act (passed 2003) is no longer needed and should be repealed. Does that also mean I can go back and ask the Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice to destroy all the paperwork relating to the several hundred cases of prison rape I generated be destroyed because it was " 100% Hyped". Get a life.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: retiredTxn

originally posted by: Stuship

Exactly, everything is opinion because there is no proof. So the entire point of this thread is to try to discredit a man who's education level is 10x the average person on this website with 100% opinion.

And there is no way he could possibly be wrong because he has 10X times the education level of of anyone on this website? How much of his education is centered around Criminal Justice or Penology?

This is a very common logical fallacy he is using.

Argument From Authority
This is the flip side of the ad hominem; in this case, the argument is advanced because of those advancing it. But arguments from authority carry little weight: the history of human kind is consistent in one fact: the frequency of human error.

Sometimes fallacious arguments from authority are obvious because they are arguments from false authorities. Supermodels who push cosmetics or pro athletes pushing home loans or even sports equipment are likely false authorities: first, we don’t know the supermodel or athlete uses the product at all (odds are not), and second we can assume that the supermodel is beautiful without the product and the pro athlete was successful without the equipment…and that millionaire athletes probably don’t need the kind of home loan you would.

Fallacy Ex: “The administration must know where the WMDs are or they wouldn’t have sent American troops into look for them.” (note, this is also a non sequitur)

Fallacy Ex: "Saddam must have WMD's; the president wouldn't lie to us." (note, this is also an either/or fallacy; not all incorrect assertions are lies)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join