It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rikers Island inmates save prison guard from rape by fellow convict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

A group of inmates rescued a female correction officer who was nearly raped by a hulking prisoner inside a locked vestibule on Rikers Island Saturday night, The Daily News has learned.

The inmates helped responding correction officers frantically tear away Plexiglas on the outside of the bubble-like watch post inside the Anna M. Kross Center at 8:15 p.m., according to multiple sources.

A skinny inmate slipped inside the so-called “A station” bubble through the small crack and opened the security door. A team of inmates then took down the assailant, Raleek Young, 27, until other officers arrived.

“The matter is under investigation,” said Correction Department spokeswoman Eve Kessler.

Rikers Island inmates save prison guard from rape by fellow convict

Initially, jail brass labeled the attack a routine “use of force” incident, records show.

That infuriated officers at the facility, who demanded it be labeled a sexual assault.

The union president is furious Young wasn’t instantly rearrested and hit with added charges. He claims staff at the Bronx district attorney’s office insisted the matter would be handled after the weekend was over.

“There must be accountability,” Seabrook fumed Monday. “Officers are assaulted every day, and (Bronx DA Robert Johnson) has the audacity to say, ‘Not today, bring him back at another time.’ I will not tolerate it. I will not stand for it.”

Young was arraigned Monday in Bronx Criminal Court. He is facing a slew of new charges, including: attempted rape, sexual abuse, forcible touching, and assault and harassment.

The union president thanked the inmates who helped save the corrections officer. If it weren't for them, she would have been harmed even more than she was. As for brass to not even call this a sexual assault, what is WRONG with these people? Is it a numbers game? If they call it a SA it skews their numbers? Honestly curious here. Some seriously messed up stuff to not even want to call it what it is. I wish this woman well and hope she is able to heal from this. I'm glad the inmates were there to help her and still had a conscious to step in when needed.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

As a person who sometimes have a 'me against the world mentality' I find this pretty heart warming. Sometimes even in the most hellish places there seems to be some humanity lurking around.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Goes to show not everyone sitting in jail is an "evil" person

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I don't understand why the big shots were hesitant to pursue the more serious charges at the start.I can tell you being raised in Ny that the worst of the city's worst are there.I had a friend on Long Island who was a corrections officer at Rikers.He told me one inmate approached him while trying to hold his intestines in.He was severely cut open.
Having said that i hope the inmates who intervened on behalf of the female guard are granted a reduction of their sentences for their heroic actions.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Prisons have a kind of hierarchal structure. For instance, thieves and murderers rank above that of sex offenders. Instead of a honor among thieves type of thing, it's an honor among criminals. There are certain lines that aren't crossed. Raping a female, regardless of whether she's a guard or not, is one of those lines. Inmates won't tolerate that.

I say
for the inmates. Well done.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Even some hard core criminals understand the damage a rape does. They also despise rapists...at least with a murder the pain is over for the victim.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

I am not about to wax lyrical about the inherent decency of people, because I do not believe in it. I am not going to pretend to know enough about the internal politics which affect the way prison inmates relate to one another, and the way they view certain crime, and certain criminals, to gush with positivity about the inmates who saved this corrections officer from being raped by the inmate who had cornered her.

What I will say, is that I am glad, that for whatever reason, this woman was saved, and that for the period of time covered by their involvement with that process, the inmates in question got in touch with their responsibility as human beings, to protect those weaker than themselves.

I do not want to come across as curmudgeonly on this point, but we do not know what crimes those who aided the corrections officer, were inside for. For all we know, those who were involved with the effort could have been locked up for violent offences, murder, serious assault, gang activity and the like. While it would be improper to forget this fact however, it must be said that in this instance, the inmates did a good thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I do know, and agree with most here, rapists and child molesters are viewed in prisons as the lowest of the low. It's not often though, when you hear of the inmates rescuing a correction officer. I'm sure it might happen, but you don't hear about it. I'm betting this officer is quite grateful to these men. Depending on the crimes committed by these men, I would say it depends on giving them a reduced sentence. Another option would be the state can give them a couple hundred dollars for their commissary, or even some money for their families at home for their children, as a thank you. For the low crime criminals, I'm sure a reduced sentence would be fine. Who knows, the state may find some way to say thank you, then again, they may not do anything.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

Goes to show not everyone sitting in jail is an "evil" person

Also goes to show that convicted rapists & molesters need to be sent straight to the chair.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

I'll drink to that, cheers!

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Heres a videos of inmates saying a guards life when hes attacked by another inmate.
The majority of prisioners are there because of circumstances or bad choices.
As this video shows, they are still decent people, not all, but many.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Most prison inmates are basically decent people who made one terrible mistake, or are casualties of the failed war on drugs. As a group inmates hate rapists, considering them the lowest of offenders. It's not really surprising that they came to the guard's rescue, and the perpetrator will most likely face some terrible consequences from the others later when he is returned to the facility.

top topics

join