It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bridal store visited by Ebola nurse, Amber Vinson, forced to close

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Bank cut off credit line

Miss Vinson, 30, a nurse at Texas Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, was diagnosed with Ebola days after visiting Coming Attractions Bridal & Formal store in Akron, Ohio in October.

The store temporarily closed and was cleaned before reopening, but its owner, Anna Younker, said there was a lingering 'stigma' and business failed to bounce back.

On Friday she announced on the shop's Facebook page that the bank has now cut off the business credit line, forcing her to sell the building for $338,000.

Younker, who has been in business for 30 years, said her shop became known as the 'Ebola store' after news of Vinson's visit hit the press.

She claims that the temporary closure and canceled orders cost the store at least $100,000.

The loss wasn't covered by her insurance because the plan excludes viral illnesses.

Ms Younker told NewsNet5 that Miss Vinson, who was visiting her hometown for a few days to plan for her wedding, should have been more careful.

'I wish that now she knew better not to travel. The impact its had on me is huge,' the store owner said. 'Never in a million years did I expect something like this to cause our business to have to close.'

Ms Younker said she was particularly offended when Miss Vinson asked for a $480 refund on her bridesmaid dresses.

Miss Vinson, who recovered from Ebola nine days after treatment, asked that the shop refund her bridesmaids the $479.89 they paid for their dresses, via her attorney.

Ms Younker said the refund request feel like 'a slap in the face'.

In January she posted a message to customers on Facebook, announcing that her business would be closing down.

'Despite our best efforts, we simply have been unable to recover,' she wrote. 'The decision for me to close was not easy for me.

'Over the years I have met and worked with the most amazing brides, mothers of brides, bridesmaids, prom girls and many other wonderful people.

'I want to thank all our customers, the people in our community and the well wishers from afar for being so supportive. Your kind words and loyalty have been great comfort.

'I also want to thank my amazing staff for all of their hard work and dedication to our customers and our business. I appreciate your understanding and support.'

I feel for this shop owner. She's truly the innocent victim in this, as are her employees. And to have Amber sue her for the cost of her dress! That still kills me! Apparently one of the employees was pregnant in her first trimester when Amber first visited the store, so I can understand her worry. I hope with the sale of this building and the remaining stock, this owner can find a way to start over somehow, somewhere.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

While I also feel for a person whose business goes out of business. It is a test of the viability of a business to be able to cope with thee unexpected. This business was unable to cope, so perhaps the problems were already there.

It was not Vinson's fault she had a disease.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

While I also feel for a person whose business goes out of business. It is a test of the viability of a business to be able to cope with thee unexpected. This business was unable to cope, so perhaps the problems were already there.

It was not Vinson's fault she had a disease.

No it's not Amber's fault, but it certainly didn't help this woman's business as after that, everyone referred to her business as Ebola Store, not Bridal Store. Unfortunately her insurance didn't cover infectious illness. I'm betting any business she owns in the future she'll have insurance that will cover infectious illness.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Is there such a thing as insurance to cover infectious illness..?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I guess the moral of the story is maintain anonymity if you are unfortunate enough to catch ebola.
I wish her well.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I agree. There were already problems there. Banks don't rescind a credit line in a three month period. She's using Vinson as a scapegoat for a business that most likely was already in trouble.
People would know if they had any sense that they weren't going to get Ebola in that store
There are still people who will lay this at Ambers feet..

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
There is such a thing as business insurance if you need to close down from a disaster like a hurricane that shuts down power or if the street shuts down from a gas leak or water main break. a reply to: threeeyesopen

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
There is such a thing as business insurance if you need to close down from a disaster like a hurricane that shuts down power or if the street shuts down from a gas leak or water main break. a reply to: threeeyesopen

it would seem her business insurance did not cover losses due to illness or disease, much like most insurance will not cover loss due to war or terrorism. which is why the question was asked if such insurance even exists.

personally i think the responsibility to cover her losses and loss of business should be the responsibility of both this selfish, uncaring, so called nurse. sure it may not be her fault she got it, (yet it actually could be her fault we don't know). but being a nurse and working with the disease she should have quarantined herself, just in case. but no she decided that she was much too self important to bother trying to protect others. the other being the CDC which did not (possibly still does not) have proper quarantine procedures in place that would have prevented this moron from being out and about possibly endangering anyone she came into contact with. between the two have destroyed this business. the shop was likely perfectly fine before hand, but something like this is a sure kill for a bridal shop, something the banks obviously agreed with since they wisely did not give out the loan. chances are this shop or any other she were to run possibly even be associated with in the area would not get business due to the bad luck reputation gained from this selfish "lady" (and i use that term very loosely, a better word starts with a "B"), deciding to go out, even though she should have know full well she was a risk.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

Is there such a thing as insurance to cover infectious illness..?

I honestly don't know If there is, I would certainly learn my lesson and buy it.

2nd

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I blame this on media hype. Plain and simple. Why was this nurse's every movement reported on by the media? To hype the panic over Ebola. To keep people's eyes glued to their television, newspaper or magazine and the advertising contained there.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Sure she's responsible for getting sick. Very sympathetic of you. Oh yeah and guess what she wasn't contagious and oh yeah another guess what. No one got sick from her! Maybe it wasn't a great idea but she checked with the hospital supervisors who told her it was ok for her to travel so don't put this on her. It was her supervisors not the CDC who told her it was ok. The CDC did its best and stopped this disease in its tracks. All you need to do is look around to know that. There weren't any more cases in the US stemming from this event. ZERO.
It's too bad about the bridal shop but it's the stupidity of others who thought they could get sick because she was there and that can't be layed at her feet any more than this closing. She didn't make them stupid. Maybe if people actually took the time to learn about the disease and not dive into panic mode, much like I saw on this site where fear and misinformation ran rampant, maybe the shop could have survived but it's apparent that there were already issues with the business and this owner is simply blaming Vinson for it. If she really believed her responsible she would sue. There are certainly enough stupid people to sit on a jury that would find her responsible. Obviously...

a reply to: generik

edit on 342015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

edit on 342015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
I blame this on media hype. Plain and simple. Why was this nurse's every movement reported on by the media? To hype the panic over Ebola. To keep people's eyes glued to their television, newspaper or magazine and the advertising contained there.

Yes you are 100% correct. Media hype for ratings and clicks on news forums ars more to blame then Amber. And then there are people who still flat out refuse to be educated about the disease and how it's spread. They want to be self righteous and wallow in indignation. Pointing fingers and blaming innocent victims.

top topics

join