It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know of a really reliable Cigarette lighter?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Hi Everyone

Firstly, Yes I'm a smoker and before you all flame me for smoking let me just say I don't really care to get involved in the whole smoking,cancer, heart disease thing. It's my life and i shall do with it what i want

Secondly, and the reason for this thread is I'm looking for a properly reliable lighter.

I've had zippo's, blowtorch style and disposables of all types. All of which have become unusable over the passage of time.

Anyone out there that smokes have a lighter that still works after 10 years or so?

Thanks in advance

Peace,

M.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
An L-shaped flashlight and the chain that military id tags go on
works every time until the batteries die

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: murlock

Magnifying glass.

Its good for every hour of clear daylight between now, and the death of the Sun itself, assuming you look after it. Also, zippo lighters come with a lifetime warranty last I checked, unless they have stopped that now. In any case, most things that go wrong with them do not require more than a little basic maintenance in order to fix.

What's wrong with yours?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I had a zippo last me all of 10 years.
You do have to take care of them, refill with lighter fluid, change the flint (before it runs out and damages the spring) you get the idea. Maybe the one you had was a lemon, every manufactured item out there will, over time, wear out.

Now I just use a Bic and replace it about once a month.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Honestly, just buy a bic lighter. The rounded ones...One lasts me for many months. Also, they only run out of gas. They always work as long as they have even just a little gas. Same with clippers.

A smokers lighter says allot about them, sure- But being able to lose a lighter and replace it instantly says allot too. I always have a light and I never stress about where is "my lighter".

If you want to be special get a special case for a clipper. They are refillable and replaceable. Reliable too.

edit on 3 3 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Nice one TrueBrit

You can have a star just for the humor value of that one

Peace,

M.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Ive had countless Clippers and the newer ones have a softer metal for the striker wheel than they used to have. Either that or the flints are harder than they used to be as mine wear pretty fast and don't spark properly anymore. They are handy though for the 'pokey bit' though (if you get my use for it)

Zippo's are good but they evaporate pretty quickly

I've also had a load of the "turboflame" types and unless you use triple filtered butane which is a pain in the posterior to get hold of and extortionately expensive.

Peace,

M.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: RedmoonMWC

Yeah I get ya. Mine must have been a lemon as it was pretty good for a while but as I said before they too wear out on the striker surface over time.

I've also seen these new USB rechargeable flameless types but batteries will only recharge so many times before they die.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I had a Zippo for over twenty years and got well used until the day I lost it.
A bit of TLC and quality fuel and it will (Hinge willing) theoretically last longer than many smokers.

I clicked on this thread because only today I was pissed off with all of my refillable lighters being really crappily manufactured. Clipper used to be really good but sadly over the last few years they have become cheaply made and unreliable.

Actually its my birthday on Friday, so I'm going to treat myself to a new Zippo!
Thanks OP.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

edit on 3-3-2015 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Hehe!

To be honest, I use my magnifying glass any time there is enough sun to do it with. It's better for the planet, and the smoke, and this will sound idiotic but is no word of a lie, tastes cleaner when lit with pure heat.

You should definitely try it out when you get a chance!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This is first hand experience from a smoker. I live in the north east. I am a hunter/ fisherman. I use lighters in all possible conditions for more than just smoking, which I also do.

To date there is no more reliable lighter than Zippo. If you have cold conditions, such as freezing conditions the butain in Bics will compress and not light. Lighter fluid for Zippo' s will light under any conditions, wind, cold, rain, snow.Doesn't matter, it will light, provided you stay on top of filling and flint. All others are wanna bee's.
edit on 3-3-2015 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

Edit to add Zippos come with lifetime guarantees....

edit on 3-3-2015 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

No I didn't want people to chastise me for smoking..... I said that because there are bound to be people who are just going to comment on my OP for that purpose and quite frankly I'm not going to get into an argument however one sided it is...

BTW Yes of course I know that Zippos and Clippers will last indefinitely if I change parts (I'm not a dumbass) It's just that you can't get spares for them without buying a new one or sending them away for repairs.

Thanks for taking the time to reply anyway,

Peace,

M.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

LOL! It's better for the planet.... That's a gem too

Not mentioning all the CO's and other gasses that come from my ciggy of course

Also you use one whenever possible? In England that about 3 times a year

Peace,

M.
edit on MaruTue, 03 Mar 2015 18:28:23 -0600Tuesday20152015-03-03T18:28:23-06:00k by murlock because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I buy cheap lighters in 10 packs from the pound shop, wearing combats most of the time I usually have at least 4 on me so if one dies I just grab another.

I also use multiple lighters often using the spark from one to light the gas from another sometimes removing the shield to crank up the gas to a big flame.

It's a crap way of doing it but it works and it's cheap.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Bic lighters are the way to go imo.

As long as I didnt lose them, they never failed me.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Lol!

I am on the North side of the Thames Estuary, so we tend to get a little bit more sun than many places one could name.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: HumansEh

Happy Birthday for Friday then

It's my missus' birthday today

Enjoy your new Zippo too

Peace,

M.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Yeah, I heard that Bognor Regis is the sunniest place in England or at least it used to be

Peace,

M.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Tell me about it lol, I've been doing the whole use one to spark another today and man does it get annoying when you have both hands on keyboard and mouse, or on stick and throttle.

The missus has been getting me the 5 for a quid types for ages and the never last long.. Honestly I don't think I've had one run out of gas yet. The flints are minute in them...

Peace,

M.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join