It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Doomsday Vault' Gets First Tree Seeds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Looks like the seed vault is getting some new seeds! Always interesting when this vault pops into the news I think.

(NEWSER) – The "Doomsday Vault" sits on an Arctic Island, quietly helping to protect our future. At first, it mostly collected and stored food crops, but it recently got its first shipment of tree seeds, Wired reports. Norway spruce and Scots pine are, of course, not much of a meal, but they play a key ecological role, and researchers will use the seeds to track how forests change genetically over the years, the BBC reports. Seeds are "heat-sealed in four-ply packets," aiming to keep moisture out, Wired notes; they're stored at about -0.4 degrees Fahrenheit. More protection comes from the Global Seed Vault's Svalbard location, where the soil is always frozen and the land is high enough to stay dry as seas rise.

My favorite part of the article is where it says:

More protection comes from the Global Seed Vault's Svalbard location, where the soil is always frozen and the land is high enough to stay dry as seas rise.

As if they already know something that is going to cause the seas to rise that much.

Anywho.....

Sour ce

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well, I hope they have some blue spruce, they make the best Christmas trees.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Meh. I don't think they 'already know' anything. It's just a good idea.
edit on 3/3/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

Yeah.....I just thought it was interesting wording and alluded to them knowing something by the wording they used.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

Yeah.....I just thought it was interesting wording and alluded to them knowing something by the wording they used.

No arguments there. I think they use that kind of wording intentionally. More sensationalist = more readers. Ultimately, though, it just makes sense. Sort of like how most people believe it's a good idea to eventually spread out to other planets. Catastrophes happen, and it would just help to ensure our survival.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I admire the idea and reality of a seed vault. I love the plant world as if other people. They are such a variety and beautiful thing to accompany us on Earth.

Not too caught on yhe idea of cataclysm, sounds like a globalist wet dream, or fear-perception until yhe globalists drop WW3 on us.

That would give reason to seed earth again

Regardless, love this. Hope they add my favorite tree, Painted Eucalyptus (also known as rainbow).

For those who do not.know this tree:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I do hope they have some Oaks and Maples too.

But best to keep them separated.

The trouble with the maples
(And they're quite convinced they're right)
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light
But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade

Sorry, old Rush fan.

I do enjoy new news of the vault from time to time, thanks.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I hope they put in maple, oak, and pine. Pine nuts are edible. You can get sugar and syrup from maple. Acorns are also edible.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I thought it has been sealed for some years? Now they open it to add only two different kinds of seed???
Why not store ALL seeds that you can gather?? mapple, oak, birch etc.. Why nitpick?
And from the source picture, it seems the Vault is not really that high above sea levels
edit on 3-3-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
i think they should re-name the "Doomsday Vault" to the "just in case vault", makes it seem less conspicuous. like come on man its a vault full of seeds. not a vault full of WMD's lol

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Perhaps this is another case in which it is not what they know, but who they know. In this specific instance, Al Gore maybe?

In all seriousness though, it is a smart move to have the location higher up where any potential floodwater is less likely to reach. Don't forget, there are more than just one way in which flooding might be a factor in a worldwide catastrophe.

A sizeable space rock plummeting into the ocean would cause a vast mega-tsunami, and if the impact was straight or near as makes no difference, rather than shallow in its approach, the wave would issue out in a massive circle, in all directions. It would probably result in the largest, most powerful, fastest tsunami in recorded history.

So it is not just global warming that one might be concerned about, but impacting space rocks!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I've always wondered about that vault. It would be totally inaccessible to anyone who survived a world-wide catastrophe. Just think of how difficult it would be to make use of a seed store post-catastrophe. Anyone here ever prepared a field for planting? We're talking at least a year ... meanwhile, you're starving.

That vault looks to me like it was set-up as an insurance plan against GMO contingencies.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
with all the GMO junk that they keep creating I think it`s a good idea to preserve seeds from real plants and trees.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

What happens if there's a sudden ice age, then it will be a mile under ice.

top topics

join