It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like clockwork, John Boehner folds to Obama...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
www.nationalreview.com...

House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) told the GOP conference that they needed to pass a clean Department of Homeland Security funding bill because Senate Republicans “never found a way to win this fight” and because some House conservatives killed a three-week DHS funding measure last week.

You would have won the fight had you just showed some spine, you idiot! There were 3 possible outcomes, 2 of which were very favorable to the GOP base.
1. Let DHS go unfunded for a spell. There isn't a downside here except for some federales not receiving paychecks for a spell.
2. Force the Democrats to break down and accept the defunding of Obama's illegal executive amensty.
3. Pull a typical Boehner and wilt in front of the president you're clearly infatuated with.

I gotta say, for being the leader of the "most obstructive Congress in History", John Boehner's track record is certainly filled with appeasements to Obama, surrenders to Obama, and capitulations to Obama. Has there been a single issue on which the man has stuck to his guns over? Has he successfully bluffed on even one hand in this poker game? If I was to pick one human being against whom I'd jump at the chance to play "chicken" against, Boehner is the clear choice... The man is guaranteed to bail before real confrontation occurs.

So now we have a Speaker of the House complicitly approving illegal acts (as recently declared in a federal court) by a standing president via funding those illegalities with tax payer dollars... WHAT A JOKE, AMERICA, WHAT A JOKE.

The country needs some bleach poured into DC's political gene pool. Hell, drain the SOB, scrub it down with agent orange, repaint it, and start from scratch because this status quo is ridiculous and will ultimately destroy America.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Was there ever any doubt?

So disappointed in our government.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Was there ever any doubt?

So disappointed in our government.

You know, to be honest, no. In the beginning of his speakership, I was among those who believed John Boehner was a principled man who had a backbone. Even after the GOP surrendered on the first government shutdown, I felt "OK, they recognized national harm was taking place and they took the high road here. Strategic retreat is sometimes a very valid option." Now, after how many dozens of idle threats, hollow promises, and erased lines in the sand, I can't say I'm surprised. I have to wonder who, if anyone, will ever believe another John Boehner point of conviction and that makes it clear that he MUST be removed from the Speakership. He is as ineffective a speaker as this nation has ever seen.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

How is it favorable to let those working the border people want secured to go possibly unpaid?

Unless congress was gonna give up their checks to pay them, I don't see how that is beneficial to the people they represent.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

How is it favorable to let the PResident suddenly start writing the law?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yeah because he couldn't sustain his embarrassing little hissy fit.

These childish games are getting old.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In the context of using E.O's? I guess it all depends on your personal views.

We gonna sit here and act like barry is the first president do it?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Boehner is not real opposition. He has been put there to give the illusion of opposition to the progressive / controlling agenda that is being pushed by the powers that be. Even Obama is just a figure head pretending to be in charge all the while being told what to do and how to proceed. There is no true leadership left in our Government.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The corruption and criminality in Washington is so complete that the only action that would have any chance of restoring a constitutionally legal government would have to be a military coup, but that would create a devastating state of anarchy across the entire nation.

What is next in line from our emperor? An executive mandated $100 billion tax supposedly to help the middle class but any fool knows that every tax is passed on down to the consumer.

THE POWER TO DESTROY
Obama 'very interested' in executive-action tax hike
'To advance agenda that benefits middle-class Americans'

Read more at www.wnd.com...

Boner will cave on this on too.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Yeah the alleged leaders are all bought and paid for.

I propose that the rich bitches funding this corrupt government just bypass our government, give their billions directly to Israel and China and their ilk instead of to "campaign" funds, and leave us all out of this already.

Cut out the middle man and we'll get to keep more of our tax money here too...at home.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

It's on thing to direct your bureaucracies; it's another to make entire sections of law with them.

The DHS was not given any "discretion by law" to give 4.3 million removable aliens what the DHS itself labels as "legal presence.” In fact, the law mandates that these illegally-present individuals be removed. The DHS has adopted a new rule that substantially changes both the status and employability of millions. These changes go beyond mere enforcement or even non-enforcement of this nation’s immigration scheme.

Basically, the EO changes the legal status of entire groups of people. There is no legal authority outside of Congress for this to happen. This is not enforcement or non-enforcement.

The Supreme Court has stated time and again that it is the duty of the federal government to protect the border and enforce the immigration laws. The Government has sought and obtained rulings that preempt all but token participation by the states in this area of the law. The basis for this preemption was that the states’ participation was not wanted or required because the federal government was to provide a uniform system of protection to the states. The fact that DAPA undermines the INA statutes enacted to protects the states puts the Plaintiffs squarely within the zone of interest of the immigration statutes issue.

Also, the Feds have time and again gotten the SCOTUS to rules against the states by claiming that it has the sole interest and duty in defending them and their borders but the Presidents' new actions undermine those previous claims putting the states squarely back where they were before.
edit on 3-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I think they decided not to interfere with an ongoing court case.

Obama is gonna have difficulty with that.

His cute little memos might be declared illegal anyway.

He never did actually issue an E.O. either.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

THIS is a serious problem...
www.nytimes.com...

Representative Mick Mulvaney, Republican of South Carolina, said at a discussion among conservatives hosted this month by the Heritage Foundation that letting the agency run out of funding was “probably” worth it to defend the Constitution.

But he acknowledged that it was “an uncomfortable position to be in, to have to choose between border security and the Constitution.”

"Probably worth it"

ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

These sanctimonious jackasses in DC have really jumped the shark. On one side we have a president who effectively pisses on the Constitution, particularly in regards to the clear limits and restrictions the document places on his powers, and on the other side we have spineless liberal RINOs who talk about the importance of our Constitution, but rarely act in a manner which actually indicates they believe what they say. In short, what Mulvaney is trying to say is:

We'll send your 18 year olds to the rectums of the globe to die under the excuse of "bringing the Constitution to the world" (which sounds better than coming clean and saying they're dying in the name of global corporate interests), but we're not exactly comfortable withdrawing any funding from these agencies which harass American Citizens more frequently than they actually protect America from any real threats in the name of the actual Constitution. Hell, Homeland Security Agency itself is unconstitutional, so it makes perfect sense that confusion over which takes precedence reigns the day.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
His cute little memos might be declared illegal anyway.

We tried the "Depend on the courts to follow the law" strategy with Obamacare, Xuen... How'd that work out, again? The courts are just as corrupt as the godless leeches running the country, man.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Do you think the timing had anything to do with the God awful optics of today in Congress?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Do you think the timing had anything to do with the God awful optics of today in Congress?

Makes it worse, actually. Boehner could have pulled one hell of a trick play today and called a vote while 1/3rd of the Democrats were out of chambers, protesting Netanyahu's speech. Imagine the fallout had that happened... but no, that type of maneuvering takes some actual gumption and courage to pull off and we'll have to look elsewhere, far away from Boehner to find those qualities.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Congress have the ability to defund the Immigration EO by passing a bill of their own? So maybe they should just do that?? Why is that so hard to do - isn't that their job?!?

Be upset that that the Immigration law will be funded, if you must, but remember the power is still in the hands of Congress to actually do something, which could easily annul the current laws that the right is upset about.

NO one has taken that power away from them, they have taken it away from themselves and blamed the President.

ETA - yes, there is Veto power, so that means they have to come up with something bi-partisan enough to get past his desk. Imagine that.

edit on 3-3-2015 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Boehner could not lead a group of people down a one way street with signs posted every ten feet of which way to go.

Better plan would have written in the bill that the amnesty must be funded on a budget of one dollar and can not go over budget without immediate suspension of the program and a 30 year moratorium on being considered for budgeting again.

It completes the request yet is worthless. Obama can then veto, if it passed the Senate and discussion can end because Obama vetoed amnesty. Simple.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I don't think Boehner caved to Obama so much as caved to his fears of repercussions, should some kind of DHS emergency happen while they were not funded. That would have been political suicide for him. Those Congress Critters do whatever it takes to protect their interests.

I don't know, though. My jaw hit the ground when I heard about this.

I don't think Boehner has much of a backbone, but I think a clean bill was the right thing to do. They should handle the immigration issue separately, not try to hold DHS hostage. What The GOP Congress was proposing sounded like blackmail to me.
edit on 3/3/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
I don't think Boehner caved to Obama so much as caved to his fears of repercussions, should some kind of DHS emergency happen while they were not funded. That would have been political suicide for him. Those Congress Critters do whatever it takes to protect their interests.

I don't know, though. My jaw hit the ground when I heard about this.

I don't think Boehner has much of a backbone, but I think a clean bill was the right thing to do. They should handle the immigration issue separately, not try to hold DHS hostage. What The GOP Congress was proposing sounded like blackmail to me.

1. Same could be said for Obama had he vetoed the bill, frankly.

2. I disagree regarding the immigration issue. Part of the beef over this executive amnesty lies within the manner the Admin is utilizing DHS. Border Patrol agents, for example, should never be acting as amnesty clerical workers... but those were the marching orders from Obama. In many, many ways DHS over the past decade has made it far more difficult for an American citizen to re-enter the USA than it is for an undocumented illegal alien to cross the border and be granted defacto permission of entry and residence. That is beyond insulting for those of us who actually belong here and have a right to our country as native citizens.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join