It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Futurist Dr. Stan Schatt --Ask Me Anything!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86
I think it's possible. It would be logical that creatures would develop equipment that would work for their physical limitations just as we don't build equipment that requires three hands to operate.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Springer
Sorry--there was confusion about this being a two-day gig. I've been catching up and should be all caught up shortly.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: s1ngular1ty
The religion question is fascinating and one that I tried to answer in my book. The funny thing is that multiple religions are already thinking about how they will react (at least the political leadership is). The new Catholic Pope, for example, has said that he would consider aliens to also be "God's children." Of course, there are nasty issues like if Jesus died for our sins and came here in human form, does that make the aliens less loved? The Mormans have indicated they would just see aliens as new prophets. It wouldn't make much difference. The real issue might be with evangelical Christians, fundamentalists who take every word of the Bible literally. If God made man in his image, what does that say about aliens?

As far as the Singularity goes, it will develop slowly, so they'll be lots of time to build in safeguards. If someone presented us with everything we need to achieve it immediately, I'd worry because we'd be like kids with a new toy we really didn't understand.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64
I think Bibi was speaking to three targeted audiences: Republicans, potential Jewish donors and voters, and Israeli voters. I'm sorry that I didn't here a tangible alternative to the current treaty negotiations.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Are all the globes that revolve in space inhabited?

The people of the earth are far from being, as you suppose, the first in intelligence, goodness, and general development. There are many men having a high opinion of themselves who even imagine that your little globe alone, of all the countless myriads of globes around you, has the privilege of being inhabited by reasoning beings. They fancy that God has created the universe only for them. Insensate vanity!

God has peopled the globes of the universe with living beings, all of whom concur in working out the aims of His providence. To believe that the presence of living beings is confined to the one point of the universe inhabited by us is to cast a doubt on the wisdom of God, who has made nothing in vain, and who must therefore have assigned to all the other globes of the universe a destination more important than that of gratifying our eyes with the spectacle of a starry night. Moreover, there is nothing in the position, size, or physical constitution of the earth to warrant the supposition that it alone, of the countless myriads of globes disseminated throughout the infinity of space, has the privilege of being inhabited.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow
I have an entire chapter on this question -- think about the ramifications to our current political structure (the realization we can't trust the government and that it lied), the healthcare industry, education, science (everything we think we know might be obsolete), etc. Think of the stock of industries that would crash--- I would sell my big pharma stock immediately as an example. I've already talked about organized religion in another reply, but watch out for the reaction of evangelical Christians.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

I'm still looking for a smoking gun myself, but I find some primitive drawing of men with what look like spacesuits very persuasive. I'm also fascinated by what Jared Diamond has to say about how real factual experiences get transformed into myth very quickly but still retain the factual elements. I would think that any creatures different from ourselves would be seen by primitive people to be gods or demons. Both are possible readings of some ancient writings.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
I guess I don't see any point in them so I assume they are man made. I would think aliens have better things to do than create crop circles. s:-)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People
Well, you make a good point that we didn't invent the idea of alien visitation any time recently. Still, did you notice that the Science channel is devoting a week to the question of whether or not we are alone with "evidence' that we're not? I see a lot more focus on this issue within the last few years by mass media as well as significantly more UFO reports. So, all I can do is look at all these data points and speculate that there is a pattern emerging. Early versions of ET were frightening or menacing. We still have that today, of course, but we are seeing more "cute" depictions.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord
I've answered this via email.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
There hasn't been a time in human history when things looked rosy. I can agree with you that we're facing all kinds of problems (your list hits the main ones). I've always been an optimist by nature, but if people in power keep denying that climate change is manmade and begin working to lower carbon emissions. then we are in big trouble.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7
As long as communications are not controlled and limited, the more people to people contact, the better because it opens up people to new ideas and to the realization that people are people and not abstract enemies. As far as warfare goes, countries fight over land and resources and power. The trick gov officials pull is to convince people that a particular war is absolutely necessary. Remember how we were told that all hell would break loose if we didn't invade Iraq immediately?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
The rosy version would be that in another 20 years or so AI develops awareness and becomes an ally to humanity rather than a foe. We encourage that by offering citizenship advantages and "partnerships" for space travel. The negative view is that AI would grow in awareness until it viewed humanity as a problem. I'll stick with the rosy outlook for now.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude
It's going to be a rough transition period. The new batteries being developed should ease that transition a bit.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin
Call me an optimist, but I'm not that concerned about the NWO. Unfortunately I see us moving away from a democracy/republic toward an oliquarchy based on wealth. Not a good thing.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: StanSchatt
I believe I already commented on this, but I do believe in the possibility of space bending. Theoretically it would work, but that's a long way from developing the technology to make it work.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Stan --- Can you comment on the United States use of radioactive isotopes --- such as plutonium 238 --- in some of it's space probes, and the justification of it's use for space probes that travel too other star systems?

Thanks
edit on 4-3-2015 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Hi Stan, welcome to ATS!

My question, of all the films portraying the future which do you believe is the closest?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42
I probably answered this already as well, but it's a good question.
ba chemistry Arizona State U, PhD English University of Southern California, MBA, Thunderbird Global School of Mgt.

I've done most of my technology research and learning AFTER college. I worked for AT&T and went through extensive training. I learned enough about programming to work as a software trainer on mainframes. I spent twenty years as a technology analyst responsible for forecasting future technologies for some of the largest research firms, including Forrester Research and Ziff-Davis Research During that time I also wrote 25 books on technology including several college textbooks.

So, most of my real learning took place after I left school.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei
One genuine sighting and we might not be alone. Of course, some folks think the UFOs are man-made.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join