It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How a Solar Farm Set Hundreds of Birds Ablaze

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Poor birds. I suppose there has to be sacrifices in the name of science. At 110 megawatt the projects is certainly impressive.

It's no secret that solar power is hot right now, with innovators and big name companies alike putting a great deal of time, money, and effort into improving these amazing sources of renewable energy. Still, the last thing you'd likely expect is for a new experimental array to literally light nearly 130 birds in mid-flight on fire.

And yet, that's exactly what happened near Tonopah, Nevada last month during tests of the 110-megawatt Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project.

According to Rudy Evenson, Deputy Chief of Communications for Nevada Bureau of Land Management (NBLM) in Reno, as reported by Re Wire, a third of the newly constructed plant was put into action on the morning of Jan. 14, redirecting concentrated solar energy to a point 1,200 feet above the ground.

Unfortunately, about two hours into the test, engineers and biologists on site started noticing "streamers" - trails of smoke and steam caused by birds flying directly into the field of solar radiation. What moisture was on them instantly vaporized, and some instantly burst into flames - at least, until they began to frantically flap away. An estimated 130 birds were injured or killed during the test.

www.natureworldnews.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Another engineering marvel.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
How many birds die when they hit patio windows, or car windshields. One hit me in the head and died riding a three wheeler (ATV ) once. How many people and other species die or have bad health effects from fossil fuels? I would take the exchange any day. But i am sure they could emit a frequency ( sound ) to ward them off if they researched it.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Another engineering marvel.

Lol I suppose its a good job the birds wheren't on the endangered list.

EDIT - is there such a word as "wheren't"?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

That you know of anyway ...

Then there are all the birds that get hacked to death by windmills ... 70 golden eagles at one site alone.

But hey! It's all green and not those evil oil companies, so I guess you have to break some eggs before you can make a green paradisiacal utopia (that happens to be eagle and migratory bird free).

At least the solar plants cook them so we can eat them.

edit on 2-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Ill agree with ketsuko on this one i prefer fried chicken instead of sushi...a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
EDIT - is there such a word as "wheren't"?

1,200 feet above this solar array is wheren't one should go.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
at the end of the day: there is nothing in our technological warchest that could be leveraged to maintain current lifestyle without cost to the planet.

We are very skilled and devising unforeseen consequences, that much is certain.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Just like planes right?

Or when oil spills destroy the ocean.

130 birds ain't that bad

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is nothing new, and there has actually been an operating Solar tower since the mid 70's at White Sands. My company made all the replacement glass for this tower. Which I must admit was a very hard job, with 3-d bending and an insanely sharp precision with no surface distortion. I think these days they do most of this with flat glass, that can be pulled from the center, creating just enough to make a great focal point. At 1000' feet the focal point on a piece of glass, would not be much, maybe 1/16" of bend. rough guesses of course. The amount of energy these can produce is scary though, I have held one of the original peices with the mirror backing and gone outside and tested its focal point, lets just say you wouldnt want to get hit with that light. It Burns fast

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Just like planes right?

Or when oil spills destroy the ocean.

130 birds ain't that bad

Did I say it was ??

edit on Mar-02-2015 by xuenchen because: ;;[__O_/0__];;

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Multiple that by how many of those different wind farms and solar plants we will need to keep up with our power needs. Then consider that we only have so many of some types of bird species.

170 isn't bad, but what if some of them are ... California Condors? Can we fry even one or two of them?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Then there are all the birds that get hacked to death by windmills ... 70 golden eagles at one site alone.

And then there are the thousands of bats killed by wind turbines everyday. They don't die by running into them, but rather they die a horrific death induced by internal hemorrhaging, which is caused by the airflow of the windmill creating a drop in air pressure near the windmill:

Wind Turbines Killing Bats

edit on 3/2/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It's actually a serious setback that can shut down the project. How could they possibly keep birds out such a large footprint?
I wonder if they could use sound to keep them from flying through the area.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

That is another issue, however. Birds flying through the area are doing so for a reason. Removing miles wide swaths of migration routes can be extremely problematic. Not to mention our obvious lack of right to do so.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That is what I was eluding too. That was only a partial test, and in 2 hours, look what happened.
It probably is on their migratory route. They are going to have to come up with something, because the ASPCA will certainly not let this slide by.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

It depends. Politics makes for some strange bedfellows as we've seen often enough in the past. Look at half the women's groups when it came to Bill Clinton and his behavior toward women.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Where can I get a home version that works on flies and mosquitoes?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

There is a guy I have seen on youtube that burns concrete with his satellite dish converted to solar focus gizmo..real fast too. This is a smaller version.
www.youtube.com...
Here is a clip of a different guy..only using a screen from an old projection tv..different from the focused mirror thing but a small example of the power.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 2-3-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I agree they should look to prevent this, but to knock this tech for this point seems wrong to me.

I get the 'irony' of it, but it is not exclusive to this tech by any means.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join