It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Chat is No More

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I think you have put that really well. I hope you get a chat back soon GE!

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The concept of a Chat forum was a good idea in principal. In reality chat forums are flat tyres unless their is a focus. and without that they will die off or become waffle for lone voices. Remember the OL long rants.

You also need to like typing, so anyone who doesn't they wont be interested in chat.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
a reply to: SheopleNation

You have to understand the personalities of the folks who were regulars there....we didn't talk over one another - we just understood each others conversational idiosyncrasies well enough that what looked like chaos to most, was just how ideas were exchanged. It takes a little getting used to, and knowing the personality behind the screen name to understand the flow.

I won't deny that for someone as socially isolated as myself, ATS chat was a godsend for social contact and relaxation.

Amen, General Eyes. Amen.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

It's times like this that remind me of the importance of establishing telepathic links and keeping a proper address book.....Morse code, semaphore, flashing mirrors from the mountain side, smoke signals, telegraph, HAM radio, flare guns and all that "old outdated stuff".

edit on 3/3/15 by GENERAL EYES because: minor additions

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Its not for everyone, granted, but nothing is for everyone/..... but it is a value add. I think trying to encourage value adds to new members is something ATS needs addressing, you know the rewards and recognition system (stars is broken) and ugly emoticons (yes Im laughing at the eye rolling from Bill) are little somethings that interest new people..anyway.
I'm sorry those who DO like it have lost it.

a reply to: AthlonSavage

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The bottom line is entertainment. ATS is in the boredom killing business just like every other commercial website on the net. Im sure you will be able to think of some entertainment additions. Mabey you can become ATS entertainment director. Start the ball rolling male a vid karoke you singing im to see the wizard the wonderful wizard off Oz loll..... That will draw a crowd.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

I have no interest in becoming your entertainment director. nor is this about me, I don't mind if its here or not from a personal use perspective, but I do care if members liked it.
You don't. I get it ..now what? more mildly insulting words at me? will that make you feel better about something you don't care exists?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

No insult intended. I think you can add value to this site and this site is evolving, by necessity to stay viable. Entertainment is the angle. The brainstorm ideas of what would be good for this site is a good way of going about it. So my idea was a dud, whats your idea?

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYESYou have to understand the personalities of the folks who were regulars there....we didn't talk over one another - we just understood each others conversational idiosyncrasies well enough that what looked like chaos to most, was just how ideas were exchanged. It takes a little getting used to, and knowing the personality behind the screen name to understand the flow.

I won't deny that for someone as socially isolated as myself, ATS chat was a godsend for social contact and relaxation.

I understand what you're saying. To be fair to you guys, The few times I came in there awhile back I had a good time but as far as a regular thing, it was just not for me. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes. ~$heopleNation

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Chat has had its ups and downs, as well as once in a blue mood while in an eclipse and during a planetary alinement some of the most interesting convos on this site. But mostly it had a lot of people writing the first thing that came to there head down for all to see, it was like a classroom full of kids while the teacher had to go out for sudden bathroom break, everybody starts doing stupid # at the same time.

For the most part I think it came and went all depending on what mood or stage you were in while on the ATS. Cant say I will miss it, as I did not spend that much time in there, or at least these last few year on ATS. But I cant say I would not have have missed it if I still was in a chatting mood. For the most part it seemed like it sort of faded out. Who knows eh! Maybe one day it will fade back in again...For somebody...Somewhere.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I honestly didn't know there was a chat. If I knew I would have been there... even if lurking much of the time. I usually have at least one chat I'm keeping tabs on while I'm online.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

I found Skype to be too intrusive and ugly, so I dropped out of it. My social media is pretty much filled to the brim with memes and superfluous updates that have little to no interest and it's rare I find a chat service I feel any sense of kindred spirits within.

I suppose the trend is just going to move forward until the entire populace is pigeonholed into 24/7/365 "accepted venues" for discussion...undoubtedly monitored for data mining purposes and what have you.

So it has gone, so it will go.

I'm used to riding the short bus of technology trends.
I'm proud to have purple crayons stuck up my nose as I type.

C'est la vie.

edit on 3/3/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting - perfection is a blessing and a curse

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I abandoned social media 5 years ago as it seemed nearly everybody my age was finally plugged in. Once they all plugged in I decided to yank the cord out. Too much nonsense.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
SkepticOverlord has said that discussion forums are a dying breed too.
I'm sure there was a thread about how a new ATS could/would look and it would be like a news article and then discussion at the bottom, like a comments section.

This site I'm sure will change dramatically over the next year or so.
It is sad that chat has gone - I never used it, never knew it existed, it was never promoted or advertised unlike the NLBS and other such stuff.
I'm guessing chat could have been fun and true and uninhibited user generated content.

edit on 4-3-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
This sucks like balls but I hope that chat can come back tho ^.^

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I haven't been there too many times, but I enjoyed myself whenever I was there. Sad to see it gone.

Then again, it was all free for me. Having to pay for it and then, even after that, not getting the service? Yeah, I get why you wouldn't want it and totally support you here.

I hope a nice solution is found soon.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I have been in maybe twice in the year, but I think it is a great resource for registered members, a value add if you will for all their contributions to the site.
Is there no way to keep it open for them? At all, zip? none? nothing? Its dead gone? finished? thats it?

Indeed Zazz. And SO , with all due respect , I know that you have never understood what goes on in there very well and I also have some idea of the hassles it has caused but remember please that ATS has never stopped evolving and the chat room ranges from helpful (very sometimes) to hilarious and nuts to some very off the wall but brilliant discussions.
Those of us who do use chat LOVE chat. We really do.
As Neff would say its as simple as that.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I've been using www.conspirify.com Conspirify Social Network
It's small but up and coming.

EDIT: I was notified by owner of conspirify not to advertise the site on ATS, so this is the first and last time I'll mention it
edit on 732015 by ChefSlug because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
123flashchat cost me $199 for me to host it, always having the latest version, and using my own server, no reason to use them as hosts, they 'are' pretty unreliable for hosting, I don't see why that option can't be used, you can use the HTML5 version rather than flash, and people can login via mobile devices...... it easily integrates to mysql database using the 'URL' method in the settings.

The only downside - if you're keeping logs, they are publicly available for public chat channels. The private messages are kept away from public.

I would love to have ATS chat back, and yes, Conspirify is my site, but its not an alternative to ATS, as the main site is not a forum, but a social media platform I bought called PHPFOX (www.phpfox.com).

Thanks for the chat whilst it lasted...

Marty

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Im a Marty

I like the chat room I'm a marty offers, which is populated by almost only ATS members.
However... Like Marty said, it's a social site and there still isn't anything around that is better then ATS and it's content.

I'm sad ATS chat is down, but at least I've got a replacement for that. I will join an ATS chat anytime if it returns.
I will always use ATS for it's content though.

So for as long the chat option is gone please feel free to try the only thing that that comes close to ATS chat.
I'm sure ATS will find a solution, but that should not make us unable to interact in the mean time.

Sincerely yours.

Sint.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join