It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Carson: Religion is needed to interpret science because ‘maybe it’s just propaganda’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

A possible Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson suggested over the weekend that religion was necessary for testing scientific theories because the science could be “propaganda.”

On Sunday, NBC’s Chuck Todd asked Carson, a former neurosurgeon, how science could coexist with his conservative Christian principles.

I wonder how religious beliefs would stand up to the "scientific method" and investigation rather than just faith? Would Dr. Carson be willing to hold religion to the same standard and allow religion to be tested as well? I doubt it....

“I find, a very good measure of correlation between my religious beliefs and my scientific beliefs — people say, how can you be a scientist, how can you be a surgeon if you don’t believe in certain things?” he continued. “Maybe those things aren’t scientific. Maybe it’s just propaganda.”

Anythings possible but imo most religious beliefs are precisely "propaganda" to control individual thought into a narrow cosmology.
Ben Carson as POTUS could be the first step into a Theocracy. "Burn the Witch"

www.rawstory.com...

edit on 2-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I agree. Science is necessary for testing religious theories because the religion is propaganda.

Ben will never get close to the presidency, thankfully.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Never heard of him. Republican? Blah. I can't stand those guys.

Having said that, a quote comes to mind.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

👣

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Isn't Carson backwards? You need science to interpret religion since it is ALL propaganda.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
He is the perfect example of a stupid smart person. Did he consult religion before separating conjoined twins? The more he opens his mouth the further he gets from the White house kind of like Rick Perry.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I wonder if his faith helped him during his neurosurgery experiences...
Maybe that's his line of thinking...

We all know how much propaganda goes into Brain operations, don't we!

Also, I wonder what his success rate was...

Is that why he is a "former neurosurgeon"?

/sarc (for the most part)!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Those are some strange comments Ben. I'm not even sure what he was trying to say. How can religion "interpret" science?

Regarding science vs. religion, Terrence McKenna summed it up quite succintly.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

And so the lynching begins.

I like Ben Carson's Economic Plan, Health Care Plan and his Foreign Policy.

edit on 3/2/2015 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I'm sure his faith helped HIM (feel confident, secure, in control) during surgery. But I'm also sure that it's science that makes his surgeries successful.

I don't have any problem with religion. Some people depend on it and it actually helps them in their lives. Besides, some religious organizations help the community. But it doesn't belong in government. And even Ben agrees with that.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah I was kinda vague in my rant I guess...

I was more leaning towards the satirised idea that Jesus was giving him pointers during Surgery because surely the propaganda has led to falsity in the educational process of the dos and don'ts with the Brain...

I'm sure his faith kept him in a good place operating though...
Can't hold that against anyone doing such a difficult job.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

WHAT? Criticism = Lynching, now?

Great. Now, what do you think about his stance on using religion to test science?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Is it "lynching" when Obama is being criticized? See the disconnect you have here?

The word "lynching" has emotional impact when referencing Black people. Is that why you used it?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Great. Now, what do you think about his stance on using religion to test science?

It falls in line with how he views the way he should raise his children. Or perhaps along the lines of how he felt about the birthday present his grandma gave him when he was 9 years old. In other words, I could care less as it has no impact on how his policies will shape this great nation of ours.

Or are you under the false illusion that a Ben Carson Presidency would overturn Science and turn this country into a Theocracy... Give me a break.

I like his economic plan, his health care plan and his foreign policy.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Is it "lynching" when Obama is being criticized? See the disconnect you have here?

It's "lynching" when obama is criticize on idiotic things such as "he's a muslim!" or "Where is his birth certificate!"

So no disconnect, you perhaps assumed I was someone else. And it has nothing to do with Race, same thing happens to many popular politicians.

I like to stick to the issues that matter

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Or are you under the false illusion that a Ben Carson Presidency would overturn Science and turn this country into a Theocracy...

Not at all. In fact, I pointed out that Ben has said he doesn't think religion belongs in government.

edit on 3/2/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Interesting views he has there. I think he is the perfect republican candidate to take down Hillary. Look no further Republican Party, for you have found your Savior. He is a perfect fit.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   

A possible Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson suggested over the weekend that religion was necessary for testing scientific theories because the science could be “propaganda.”

On Sunday, NBC’s Chuck Todd asked Carson, a former neurosurgeon, how science could coexist with his conservative Christian principles.

I wonder how religious beliefs would stand up to the "scientific method" and investigation rather than just faith? Would Dr. Carson be willing to hold religion to the same standard and allow religion to be tested as well? I doubt it....

“I find, a very good measure of correlation between my religious beliefs and my scientific beliefs — people say, how can you be a scientist, how can you be a surgeon if you don’t believe in certain things?” he continued. “Maybe those things aren’t scientific. Maybe it’s just propaganda.”

Anythings possible but imo most religious beliefs are precisely "propaganda" to control individual thought into a narrow cosmology.
Ben Carson as POTUS could be the first step into a Theocracy. "Burn the Witch"

www.rawstory.com...

Before everyone bashes religion (i am a diest) lets remeber the scientific method was created by religious philosopbers and theology. The big bang and genetics are both the work of priests.
The realists and decarte, newton and empericism, Locke, Kant etc all come from religious backrounds. Einstein deeply spiritual and religious. There is definetely a conection between philosophy, morality, the question of gods existence that is plenty relevenant to science. To this day there is no winner in the existence of god debate. Spiritual physicists and athiest physicists are no better or worse nor can defeat one another in a debate of the existence of god. As Kant said metaphisics can not be proved or disproved.

The difference now is most religious people dont have a good philosophical or even theological backround. So they debate the wrong things and fall into athiest traps because their own beliefs are not through reason. But,..there are plenty of religious people who do use reason and can bring a clearly defined morality to the scientific method.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Or are you under the false illusion that a Ben Carson Presidency would overturn Science and turn this country into a Theocracy...

Not at all. In fact, I pointed out that Ben has said he doesn't think religion belongs in government.

That's what he said alright....

And that being the case...I still don't trust Christians or politicians to respect my freedoms of religion or anything else for that matter.

Politicians are liars .....I can show you some examples if you would like....

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

And that being the case...I still don't trust Christians or politicians to respect my freedoms of religion or anything else for that matter.

I am not Christian per say but your freedoms came from Christians. I suggest you read two treatuses of governement by john locke. You would see after the glorious revolution how locke helped shape every western modern government. Kant as well.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

I am not Christian per say but your freedoms came from Christians. I suggest you read two treatuses of governement by john locke. You would see after the glorious revolution how locke helped shape every western modern government. Kant as well.

So, Muslims invented algebra. What's your point here? An idea's origins doesn't give credibility to the group that originated the idea. Especially several hundred years removed from the creation of the idea. All the things that are credited to Christianity regularly have all evolved and changed over the years that you have to look at them in a vacuum. They are no longer part of that religion. Where these ideas originated from is irrelevant. Only what they present and say today is relevant.
edit on 2-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join