It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would life style and society fall apart if commercial advertising was suddenly banned.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Advertising is absolutely integral to the human condition at this time in our development. It speaks to the first rule of our existence - free will.

If you believe in the holographic construct, you know that every aspect of our shared reality is a function of our thoughts and beliefs. If, for instance, everybody was hypnotized tonight and convinced pigs could fly, we would wake up tomorrow seeing pigs nests in trees and everybody would carry umbrellas in the forest.

Our challenge, as human beings is recognizing how the Creator made life dependent upon our collective consciousness and our goal is to recognize it and transcend it.

Once people understand that we truly create our reality, this school shall have served its purpose. Advertising is just the most benign attempt to shape our reality.

Religion, pop culture and programming by those who have sacred knowledge represents the darker side of free will. Becoming immune to subliminal instructions and influence is a baby step in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Word of mouth would come in.

Advertising is 100% about making money from the consumer, not providing an information service.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: mcChoodles

I was right with you until you said advertising is 'the most benign'.

edit on 2-3-2015 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Advertising is an integral part of the economy. Can some ads be annoying? Yes. However, keep in mind that businesses advertise because it works.

A marketing professor of mine in graduate business school who is considered one of THE AUTHORTIES on marketing basically told our class once "you have to remember the general population is pretty stupid" as a reminder to not over think developing new marketing concepts.

The reason you have annoying ads is because they appeal to someone. Businesses are not going to spend time and money advertising if it doesn't work.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Interesting reading, good comments

Would I be safe in suggesting that as advertising fuels our consumerism we can slow or realign our economy by putting a break on unnecessary stuff being advertised so that the effect was gradual giving the displaced time to adjust..redeploy
edit on 2-3-2015 by Borisbanger because: adjust..redeploy

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger I remember a time back in the late 50's early 60's when there was very little advertising on television. But it was a time when not everyone had a television. It was a time also when there where only 3 networks. All stations went off air at 10-12PM and came back on air at sunrise. I did not miss advertising then. So from my view point we all would be better off without advertisements.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger

It would crash and burn...we are a world all about stuff and things and how much and what kInd we all have...and "need".

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Please make it happen.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I miss the days when the stations shut down at night! I remember the rainbow bars, and then in the morning the news would always come on, preceded by the national anthem.

a reply to: Ceeker63

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Advertising is an integral part of the economy. Can some ads be annoying? Yes. However, keep in mind that businesses advertise because it works.

A marketing professor of mine in graduate business school who is considered one of THE AUTHORTIES on marketing basically told our class once "you have to remember the general population is pretty stupid" as a reminder to not over think developing new marketing concepts.

The reason you have annoying ads is because they appeal to someone. Businesses are not going to spend time and money advertising if it doesn't work.

Everything having to do with economy, business, marketing, money, & consumerism needs to burn in hell & asap.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Borisbanger
Given that Advertising is about persuading people to buy goods they dont need with money they dont have unfortunately it does look indispensable.

No, that's not what advertising is about.

Advertising serves several purposes, not least telling you that there's something out there that you may want to buy. Obviously, advertising aims to be persuasive, but if there was no advertising then ultimately things would stagnate as no one would know that there are things to buy.

For example. My lawn mower's broken. How do I get it repaired / get a new one. If there was no advertising then I would not be able to find out, so a fat lot of good it would do me!

Surely you aren't actually that dysfunctional?

You work in marketing?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

Everything having to do with economy, business, marketing, money, & consumerism needs to burn in hell & asap.

So please turn off your computer, move out your house, stop driving your car, stop wearing clothes, and move out into the woods by yourself. God forbid you benefit from anything that is remotely capitalistic. If people weren't out there trying to make money, your life would be a miserable existence. You probably wouldn't have 95% of the things you enjoy today.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

So please turn off your computer, move out your house, stop driving your car, stop wearing clothes, and move out into the woods by yourself. God forbid you benefit from anything that is remotely capitalistic. If people weren't out there trying to make money, your life would be a miserable existence. You probably wouldn't have 95% of the things you enjoy today.

I don't enjoy anything, I'm anhedonic. & your defending the materialistic slavery that is modern reality makes me sad for you. The world would be a better place without humans, you will never convince me otherwise or be able to justify the ludicrous system of capitalism you so eagerly cling to.

Id love to do everything you suggest, but it's really just not feasible. I will patiently sit here & wait for the end, despising everything.
edit on 2-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This topic made me think of the film "Branded" where advertising is broad to a whole new level.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: mcChoodles

You just stopped me in my tracks mc... Thanks so much.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I don't enjoy anything, I'm anhedonic. & your defending the materialistic slavery that is modern reality makes me sad for you. The world would be a better place without humans, you will never convince me otherwise or be able to justify the ludicrous system of capitalism you so eagerly cling to.

Id love to do everything you suggest, but it's really just not feasible. I will patiently sit here & wait for the end, despising everything.

"The world would be a better place without humans..." So why haven't you done Gaia a favor and killed yourself? You sound utterly ridiculous and hypocritical. You complain about capitalism while enjoying its fruits and then you think the world would be better without humans, but yet you haven't killed yourself to show you mean it.

Of course, I don't really want you to kill yourself. Every village needs an idiot. But I can't help but point out how illogical you sound.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If only suicide were so easy. Believe me, I consider it all day, every day as im forced to endure this ridiculous & pointless reality. My RL acts & beliefs fully reflect my stance; how are you to know otherwise? I'm nothing if not consistent.

Your addiction to the system, & your outrage towards my opposite viewpoints warrants pity.
edit on 2-3-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Borisbanger
Other then objective information, advertising is propaganda and therefore, citing Orwell, dishonest.

Without advertising, how would entrepreneurs with new ideas gain market awareness/acceptance?

But then, there's this…

Back when I was in advertising, one of my clients was one of the world's most renowned cancer centers. Lead oncologists at other hospitals often spent time there early in their carriers. They were run as a non-for-profit, and every doctor, nurse, technician, etc. was on payroll -- no outside influences. Their survival statistics are among the best in the world. Many successful treatment techniques used by other hospitals/oncologists began there. Several years ago, they saved the life of an ATS member who was given months to live (several years later, he succumbed to a different cancer).

I was part of the team that devised a new ad campaign and approach to "marketing" cancer treatment. It was so successful that we had to stop for a while, we filled all the available beds. It was also the first (perhaps only time) in memory that an advertising agency received a flood of letters thanking them for the advertising -- families of cancer survivors were thanking us for making them aware.

Every time I hear/read about the ills of advertising, I have that. To me, a story like that makes up for all the ills of bad advertising.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If advertising were to be banned then it would utterly destroy our society. Our entire economy is based on it. I dislike most advertising and think it is annoying, but I know it won't go away. What needs to happen is that certain industries (such as the pharmaceutical industry) should be banned from direct-to-consumer advertising.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Eunuchorn

I don't think we've 'spoken' before, but I often find your posts amusing.

Even as you're enduring this ridiculous and pointless reality, occasionally you cheer up someone else's life

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join