It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going about creating a Secret Society...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Nexus

In case anybody says no, or you get a mini rebellion in your secret society, create one where nobody knows who else is in it. Send messages by just writing. If somedy says no then they can't tell anyone about it because they have no proof of it's existence, it's the same if someone leaves.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
*cough cough*

Psssst - hey man, wanna get some coffee?

*looks over shoulder just to make sure no one is listening*

Dude, here's my card. Tell no one.

We'll talk more over lattes.

Laters.

*disappears in a puff of smoke*

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
What do you have to offer and who will it cater to? Need one of some sort of high worth to be attractive and be very exclusive.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by diedagaincraftsmen

I agree.

Why, I ask, does a secret society have to be malevelant? Why does it have to try to parallel the Masonic Lodges? Are rituals and such required to start a successful society?
I think, if you put aside the 'secret' part for a second and focus on the "society" part, it all comes down to similar interests. Maybe a period in time, maybe a mindset, etc.
THEN you can bring back secret and ponder that. There must be a million reasons a society keeps secrets, I can only speculate, myself.

So, I say start your secret society and I hope you alter the mold.

My $.02,
Cuhail

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'm bringing this back to the forefront because I'm intrigued about the idea surrounding starting a *secret* society. There seemed to be a lot of mocking in previous posts, but, why? Is it wrongheaded to try this? Again, why does it have to have a malevolent motivation? CAN there be a *secret* society with completely pure objectives? It seems reasonable to me that there should be societies that keep secrets for benevolent ideals because they aren't looking for power or grandieur in social status or government.

More imput, please.

Pretty please?
Cuhail

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
CAN there be a *secret* society with completely pure objectives?

Well, sure. And as far as we know, they already exist, but being a secret and all...

I've thought about this before. In order for a "secret" society to be able to really be a positive influence on any kind of a meaningful scale, it would have to be populated by powerful, influential people. Of course, the problem becomes any time you have a convocation of the powerful and influential, especially if it's secret, it's automatically assumed to be for some conspiratiorial, nefarious purpose.

So my question becomes - why does it need to be a secret? The natural inclination for most of us is to not trust things done in secret, and rightly so. At least in my opinion.

Maybe the Bilderbergers and Trilateral Commission and Bohemian Grove and so on and soon, really do meet to attempt to improve the lot of us all.

Maybe.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

hmmmm....

Not neccissarily though. The powerful people part, that is. Out of curiosity, I did a definition search on Merriam-Websters site.

Merriam Webster

2 : a voluntary association of individuals for common ends; especially : an organized group working together or periodically meeting because of common interests, beliefs, or profession

Now, by that definition, putting aside the "Secret" part for a second, could be anything from the 8th Grade Chess Club to Aunt Bertie's Knitting Circle. There were other definitions, but, this one was more centered on the subject.
Now, what if the society's interests had motivations that were less than mainstream? Like, say, survival or a love of polka dot underwear? Maybe the potential mocking they'd receive in the community would inspire them to keep secrets. What if a group of employees of a company run by a beligerant bastage wanted to join together to discuss ways of making their job more comfortable to work in? They couldn't talk about it for fear the "Boss" would learn of it and react harshly? The group has it's members interests in mind collectively, so they agree to keep it a secret that they are meeting. Thus, there is an off-the-cuff example of the why and the immediate lack of the powerful or elite. The little guy's Secret Society, so to speak.
In the spirit of the OP, there is merit that can be found in creating a secret society. And no, I'm not part of Aunt Berties Secret Knitting Circle and I have no love for polka-dots. But, I don't hate them either.

So, I suppose there's an argument for everything in life, but, secrets don't necissarily mean bad, do they?

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   

So, I suppose there's an argument for everything in life, but, secrets don't necissarily mean bad, do they?

Oh, you're absolutely correct. I completely agree that "secret" is not a synonym for "bad". And maybe I was reading too much into your idea. A secret gardening club or something could certainly be for noble purposes. And maybe the guys just don't want the members of their motorcycle gang to know they have an affinity for snapdragons.

I was thinking along the lines of a society who hoped to achieve something on a global scale (or at least national), would have to include some pretty powerful members if they hoped to achieve much. And that's where it gets suspicious.

I can, however, think of a few reasons why any rich and powerful members of an organization, with the noblest of intentions, would want their organization, and the associated activities, to be secret.

For one thing, agendas are a dime a dozen. Everyone has at least one, and usually more. And agendas between individuals and organizations are frequently at cross purposes. If there was a benign organization of the powerful, they'd almost have to remain secret to realistically be able to achieve anything, wouldn't they?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thanks!

And maybe the guys just don't want the members of their motorcycle gang to know they have an affinity for snapdragons.

THAT made me laugh! I pictured a few of the bikers in my neighborhood, sitting in a lawn chair in their garage contemplating the flower in their hand while taking a break from polishing chrome! LOL!! Sensitive bikers do exist!

I was thinking along the lines of a society who hoped to achieve something on a global scale (or at least national), would have to include some pretty powerful members if they hoped to achieve much. And that's where it gets suspicious.

I can, however, think of a few reasons why any rich and powerful members of an organization, with the noblest of intentions, would want their organization, and the associated activities, to be secret.

I agree. There are globally-minded bigwigs who, I believe have less-than-benevolent secrets indeed. And agendas are varied and popular, not to mention a serious lack of good-intentions when hearing most of them. Just keeping them secret make it suspicious, whether or not it has good results or intentions.
But, insofar as the OP goes, (he was vague in his question) do you think a secret society of the type we investigate is even buildable anymore? It was a good question even though he was just "wondering out loud". I say no, which is why I diverted the question, I suppose.

Thanks yeahright, for discussing the "other side of the coin" with me.

Cuhail

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   

But, insofar as the OP goes, (he was vague in his question) do you think a secret society of the type we investigate is even buildable anymore?

Fun to speculate, for sure. Is it possible? I think it is. But the fly in the ointment is, if it's really successful, we'd never know. Much like the "perfect crime". The success factor is dependent on its being undiscovered, so the minute you can identify it's been done, it no longer fits the criteria.

Now I believe the potential for any "secret" organization to exist and remain secret is incrementally smaller today than it's ever been, mainly due to forums like this one. Researchers no longer have to toil alone in the dark. The Internet is the perfect medium for note comparing and collaboration, so any "secret society" of any import will eventually be discovered, benign or no.

And maybe that's a good thing.

The problem today is that there's almost too much information, and you have to winnow through the white noise of crackpots, hoaxers, and borderline crazies to get to the meat. Then you have the very real disinfo agents and aforementioned agendizers (if that's not a word, it should be) further obfuscating the picture.

So what do we know? The more information we have, the less we know. Like the old line about a man with two watches never knowing what time it is.

Or something.

Thanks to you, too.

posted on Dec, 3 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
A secret society needs a reason for being secret. for example your common interest induces scorn or its illegal.

Such a society also needs ways of staying secret like somehow making sure if a member leaves they either know nothing or are not in the position to tell anyone. Like if a member leave imprison them and make them work in a slave labor lol or give them suicide missions or develop a poison that erases someones memories.

You also need a base. this can be a physical base or an online website that serves as a base. If you need to recruit members online you need a way of making your website totally of the books which is REALLY hard. or have a secret clubhouse or building with a secret room for your base.

You need a method of getting money unless your organization is just a way of like minded members to talk, not do anything. like make members pay a non refundable entrance fee this also ensures loyalty. you also need a treasury whether its a secret chest with complicated locks or a bank account you will need one especially as your funds increase.

You need a secret symbol members can make so the person their talking to can know they are a member.

Eventually you will need powerful members to make a difference. I actually want to do something like this so email me at [email protected] if you want in

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Creating a Secret Society

I'm curious, if you wanted into a society what would you be hoping to find/experience/change? I'm thinking of some kind of benevolent society. Would they wear robes, where would they meet on a small budget, what is the most important kind of thing that needs changing in this world? How would they stay secret, as in having the fewest people know about the membership of the society. I'm thinking of some sort of organization like Anonymous (the hacking group), just without the crime. I think that the biggest problem to such a thing is the finances, the startup capital being paid by the founder, but more finances being required, derived possibly from some venture businesses. I suppose the main purpose of this post is to find out what people would want in a society, all things being possible (in the society of their dreams). Basically, if a society approached you, what kind of society would be most optimal for you to decide to join it? Please be detailed, as I am very interested in this topic and am eager to hear your point-of-view. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Crakeur
knowledge or action in the area that you are interested in.

and you can always give out cookies

References to drugs are no longer allowed on the forums

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Sure.

By their definition of "better us." For a large number of us, that means killing us or preventing our children from either being born or growing up. They keep meeting to discuss depopulation.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Nexus
I'm not saying I want to create one, I'm just saying nowadays, how would someone go about creatinga secret society? If you ask friends, and they say no, they'll tell their mates and the word will spread, and everyone would know your name, making it no longer secret.

The only way I've thought of cretaing one is to join a large one, and break off with several other members to create your own?

You just described the entire purpose of mainstream semi-secret societies. They recruit into real secret societies.

Anyways, the first thing you need is a goal. Then you need to find other people who want to accomplish that goal. Without a goal, wth do you want to make one for anyways? If you already had a goal, the answer to your question would be obvious.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Peaceisalie
like make members pay a non refundable entrance fee this also ensures loyalty.

lmao tried and true method.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nexus

First thing you need...

A LOT of cowards.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join