It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sammy Sosa was caught using a corked bat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Now here is a mystery for ATS. Was he using it all along or was it just a simple mistake? Why would one take practice with an illegal bat? Why would one even have an illegal bat in the ball park? Those are the million dollar questions.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I hope it is all a mistake but even if it is we will see the downfall of another nice guy. He will have a shadow on him the rest of days in the league.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'm wondering how long he's been using a corked bat.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Good point Ill. This really devastated one of my friends from Chicago. He was going to see the upcoming game with New York but now he has lost all hope.

What is funny is that they still beat the Rays, even without Sosa.

XAOS

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What kills me is that all these baseball batters juice themselves up, not all but most, and they still use corked bats to hit better. It's funny to me.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Not that I care about baseball, but I was shocked to hear this on the news this morning. I couldn't help but laugh. Bad little Sosa, he just screwed his career up...

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Sammy is a cheater!

I dont believe him when he says he didnt know it was corked. He swings a bat every day, that is his job. You dont think a carpenter would notice if there were alterations done to his hammer?

I'm anxious to see the results from the league as they took the rest of his bats and plan to dissect them.

I think if MLB does find the other ones were corked, they might not even release that info. Baseball is a business and Sammy is one of their top stars, I would not be surprised if they squashed the findings of the bats to steer away from even more negative publicity. Maybe they should call the CIA, they seem to be the masters of the cover-up.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 09:39 PM
link   
um this may be a stupid question but what is a corked bat?

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Man what a stupid thing for Sosa to do... and to top it off he lied. Hey if you get caught the least you can do is be man and admit to it. This will put a question mark on all of Sosa's past accomplishments.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedy_sid

A bat with a cork center. The baseball will go farther.

Using one could possibly make someone a homerun king!

Fact of the matter is, Sammy has a knack for breaking bats. If this were a routine thing for him, I'm sure he'd have been caught a long time ago.

I don't buy his lame story, though.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 02:18 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   
THey checked all of his other bats and they are cork free...

www.pressofatlanticcity.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The Chicago Sun Times reported, two days ago, that he got a very friendly, understanding phone call from someone who sympathized with him....

... It was Bill Clinton. No joke.

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Originally posted by seedy_sid

A bat with a cork center. The baseball will go farther.

Using one could possibly make someone a homerun king!

Fact of the matter is, Sammy has a knack for breaking bats. If this were a routine thing for him, I'm sure he'd have been caught a long time ago.

I don't buy his lame story, though.

Is there any real evidence that a corked bat really makes a difference??? I read somewhere that during an experiment, it couldnt increase distance or speed more than a neglible amount.

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 09:42 PM
link   
they just want to make more money and will do whatever it takes to get it

posted on Jun, 12 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Yes, a corked bat is effective. It gives the bat more density without increasing its weight.

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Ask any physicist about corked bats and they will tell you it is all bunk. But why are they outlawed in MLB, then? Sosa should be with the Sox still, oh, wait, the Sox are worse than horrible, go Cubs.

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Its going to come down to players being provided with bats right before stepping onto the on deck circle which have just been x-rayed by a bull pin scanner. I think there are others that need to be checked as well.

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Actually, the tests run with corked bats versus regular bats show the only advantage you get is a faster bat speed. Which in the hands of someone as powerful as Sammy Sosa makes a world of difference.

I don't believe that bull story either. I think he was in the midst of a bad streak of hitting and he got desperate

posted on Jun, 13 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dain
Actually, the tests run with corked bats versus regular bats show the only advantage you get is a faster bat speed. Which in the hands of someone as powerful as Sammy Sosa makes a world of difference.

I don't believe that bull story either. I think he was in the midst of a bad streak of hitting and he got desperate

Right, a faster bat speed, that is all. The players believe it gives a "bounce" to the ball off of the bat. Of course they also believe wearing their lucky socks will help, too.

Exactly, Sosa is in a slump and wanted an edge.

top topics

join